Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
73 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

The Original Green Lantern is WHAT???
Dreamcatcher
From The Dream Dimension
Level : 32; EXP : 60
HP : 0 / 790
MP : 483 / 36218
Recently DC Comics announced that they would be have a gay superhero in the DCU. While I have absolutely nothing against homosexuals I do have a problem with DC Comics decision in making their gay superhero the original Green Lantern Alan Scott. Alan Scott has been a comic book superhero for over 70 years (That's longer than Wonder Woman folks) and for DC comics to just wipe away 70 years of history and awesome storytelling and turn him gay is, in my opinion, wrong. I grew up admiring the Justice Society and considered them the greatest super team in comics. Not only for the fact that they were the very first superhero team, but also because writers depicted them with a reverence and honor as the superhero veterans they were. Why DC decided to make Alan Scott gay I don't know. They have thousands of other heroes and villains that they could have chosen (the new Blue Beetle, Jason Todd, hell even the new Phantom Lady), or the could have just created a new gay superhero. I would have been fine with that, but to make Alan Scott gay is just plain wrong. It's like hearing Clint Eastwood is gay. It's unbelievable that DC comics allowed this and it makes me believe that James Robinson has no RESPECT for the superheroes, their creators and their legacies let alone for DC's lifelong fans as he decided to call everyone who has a problem with this "Small minded and ignorant". I am neither small minded nor ignorant. I'm just a BIG Alan Scott fan and I am just disappointed that I have more respect for DC Comics history than DC Comics itself.

Posted on: 6 06 12 04:54 pm

Re: The Original Green Lantern is WHAT???
The Metal Shinigami (Moderator)
From Kentucky
Level : 52; EXP : 13
HP : 255 / 1278
MP : 1716 / 72111
This is last weeks news. Anywho. he is not the first in DC universe. Bat Woman.

Posted on: 6 06 12 08:06 pm

web master
Level : 21; EXP : 10
HP : 0 / 502
MP : 174 / 30291
I think it's just to sell books to another demographic. The last thing about a superhero I wanted to know would be their sexual preference when I started reading comics. I wanted to know what their powers were and I would like to think "what would I do if I had super powers like that".

To me the most interesting story lines aside from them doing "super" things were the ones like the old Freedom Fighters comics were Doll Man was up for murder and the team was split on whether they should save him or let him "fry".

I was never really into their relationships I hated when they'd spend a whole comic on Peter Parker and Mary Janes relationship. The only relationship I cared about is how they interacted with other superheroes.

To sum it up I don't care if they are gay or straight to me that's not what comics are about.

Posted on: 6 06 12 08:07 pm
Create PDF from Post Print

Shaper of Worlds
From Matteson, Il
Level : 47; EXP : 34
HP : 231 / 1158
MP : 1303 / 67640
Quote:

daswook wrote:
Recently DC Comics announced that they would be have a gay superhero in the DCU. While I have absolutely nothing against homosexuals I do have a problem with DC Comics decision in making their gay superhero the original Green Lantern Alan Scott. Alan Scott has been a comic book superhero for over 70 years (That's longer than Wonder Woman folks) and for DC comics to just wipe away 70 years of history and awesome storytelling and turn him gay is, in my opinion, wrong. I am neither small minded nor ignorant. I'm just a BIG Alan Scott fan and I am just disappointed that I have more respect for DC Comics history than DC Comics itself.

i guess i can understand how u feel. if i heard that marvel was making captain america gay i would be devastated too. i understand the history and status of gl as being one of the pioneer heroes of dc comics..but lets face facts. when was the last time he was even remotely significant in the dc universe? as far as i know the only good thing that ever came from him was his daughter..jade. like the others said, its just a ploy to sell comics and try to inject some interest into an otherwise forgotten hero. you say that making him gay has ruined his history..how do you know he wasnt gay [or at least bi-sexual] all the time? it doesnt change was hes done in the past and probally wont effect his future. do you really care about his private life? or what he does behind the mask?

Posted on: 7 06 12 12:02 am

Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 84815
Well in response to 'DC comics to just wipe away 70 years of history and awesome storytelling'
they were doing that anyway. they are rebooting the entire world and starting from scratch.
This is a young gay version of the hero with all new stories and a restarted universe. They didn't just turn the senior citizen version of the GL gay.
They essential took earth 2 and are starting again brand new and fresh. To me that make a big difference.
It is kind of like the marvel ultimate line. New world, new stories, same old characters but different.

Posted on: 7 06 12 01:47 pm

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81700
I heard that Northstar has had his eyes on him for years. This news should make Northstar do some fabulous dance!

Posted on: 7 06 12 02:26 pm

Wizard of Lasagna (Mod)
From From the Other Side of the Ocean
Level : 45; EXP : 33
HP : 221 / 1108
MP : 1153 / 54590
I gotta agree with Hawk here. This isn't the classic GL we all know but a version of him in an alternate universe.
Anyhoo, from what I've read DC has a backup plan to bring back the old pre-reboot universe thru Wally West or something like that in case this new universe fails... or they realize old fans are hating it.

In any case, this all GL is gay is just a plot to sell and not a good one, if you ask me. They are taking advantage of a character with the name Green Lantern but it's a version of the original. It was on the newspaper here: DC turns GL gay. And that was what they wanted, make some noise about it but they didn't have the courage to do it with a more famous character like say...Guy Gardner.

To me, this all reboot is like Marvel Ultimate and all stories and characters have nothing to do with the classics I grew up with.

That said, didn't bother me Ultimate Colossus being gay and don't bother me this version of Alan Scott. Like Hubcap, that's not what I care to read in a superhero comics.

But, of course, I don't know how you guys in the US see these things. In Europe we have had comics with characters involved in almost all sorts of sexuality so that's not a big thing to comic readers here.

Posted on: 8 06 12 05:38 pm

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34747
I don't have a problem with characters coming out as gay, as long as it doesn't contradict what happened previously (unless they were obviously in the closet). Wonder-man would be a problem as gay because he's been banging chicks for a long time.
But, as others said, who cares? I don't care if I work with or have gay friends because I am not sleeping with them. Just like I am not sleeping with a comic book character.

This new DC thing is a mess anyway. It seems like all they have done is hand out new costumes and get rid of convoluted plot lines. I am only reading one title and from the storyline I get the feeling it will all end up back in the original DCU.

Posted on: 8 06 12 07:32 pm

Bat Junkie...and who took my meds???
From Mexico City (we don't wear hats)
Level : 40; EXP : 93
HP : 0 / 998
MP : 873 / 60128
When DC wants to skrew it they do it big time!!!... I can't wait for DC to change the persons in charge for this kind of decisions (they're idiots)...I want the real DCU back!

Posted on: 9 06 12 12:50 am

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Oh wait... I forgot one important thing. Who cares... it's DC.

Posted on: 9 06 12 12:41 pm

deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58406
This is more of the same irrelevant crap that's been going on with DC and Marvel for decades. It's too bad the have more invested in their franchises, than they have in telling stories.

Posted on: 10 06 12 08:35 am

Bat Junkie...and who took my meds???
From Mexico City (we don't wear hats)
Level : 40; EXP : 93
HP : 0 / 998
MP : 873 / 60128
Quote:

Biohaz_Daddy wrote:
This is more of the same irrelevant crap that's been going on with DC and Marvel for decades. It's too bad the have more invested in their franchises, than they have in telling stories.

I consider myself as DC comics fan, but I have to admit that Marvel hasn't mess to much with the original universe (except for spiderman)

Posted on: 10 06 12 11:10 pm

Supreme being
From memphis ,tn
Level : 25; EXP : 19
HP : 0 / 604
MP : 260 / 24867
ok first off the northstar conversion wasnt to big of a shockother then his sister and other members of alpha flight he never hung out with girls but the original GL WTF are they thinking

Posted on: 11 06 12 12:07 am

Gold Member
From Villainous hideout
Level : 22; EXP : 45
HP : 0 / 536
MP : 200 / 23566
Most of the main DC superheroes were created over 70 years ago.

They were all white and all straight - catering to a generation of readers who are all now almost all gone.

Outside of the superhero genre, superheroes are completely silly. This is why the more realistic Nolan tries to make Batman, the more silly he has to make the stories... against his will. Nicholson's Joker didn't have as much power over Gotham as Ledger's Joker... and Batman sneaking into China... the more real you make a superhero... the more unrealistic their stories become.

Any new angle... gay, different ethnicity, different religion, different race, different sex... it can easily be added to a superhero... because they stand more for very basic ideals than something specific.

The reverence for characters in comics is more the reader's doing than the writer's. Gay Captain America would defeat gay Red Skull just like the straight ones do. Female Captain America would as well.

Invert it. Make it fit your own special circumstances... THAT is the true power of superheroes. They are more of an idea than a specific singular entity.

That's why there are a dozen Green Lanterns. It's an idea that can be explored in numerous ways.

"And that's why he's Superman" is the most puke inducing lines I read. "And that's why he's Batman"... ugh... terrible, shitty fanboy writing.

Stop worshiping the characters and make them work for your own fantasies and needs.

Or god forbid... make new superheroes... shudder.

Posted on: 11 06 12 04:03 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Maybe DC ought to make Batman and Superman gay.... and then have them date. :shudder:

Posted on: 12 06 12 08:40 am

Supreme being
From memphis ,tn
Level : 25; EXP : 19
HP : 0 / 604
MP : 260 / 24867
Ewwwwwwwww

Posted on: 12 06 12 11:21 am

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box

Posted on: 12 06 12 12:01 pm

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71121
Quote:

JrMcDeath wrote:
Maybe DC ought to make Batman and Superman gay.... and then have them date. :shudder:

What do you mean, "ought to?"

Posted on: 12 06 12 06:30 pm

Gold Member
From Villainous hideout
Level : 22; EXP : 45
HP : 0 / 536
MP : 200 / 23566
Quote:

JrMcDeath wrote:

It would ruin the fantasy for folks who idolize two guys who wear tights.

Oh wait...

Posted on: 13 06 12 10:08 am

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Quote:

pijon wrote:
Quote:

JrMcDeath wrote:

What do you mean, "ought to?"

I wonder if the Green Lantern in goosin' Batman? That could be what made Batman immediately think of RObin.

Posted on: 13 06 12 11:12 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.