Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Watchmen
Hellfire Club Member
From The Muggy Depths of Amerika
Level : 19; EXP : 3
HP : 0 / 450
MP : 139 / 22422
one of my issues with it now, however, is much of the costumes seem way too 2000's to really coincide with a 1985 era. i dunno how they're gonna get by that, either. eh, maybe i'm just too burned out on watching good alan moore comics being turned into meh popcorn action movies. time will tell.

Posted on: 25 07 08 09:36 am

I be all Zen and shit.
Create PDF from Post Print

Off the hook
From Cleveland
Level : 34; EXP : 91
HP : 0 / 847
MP : 575 / 50648
I was talking on another board about how I didn't like the costumes, and somebody made what I thought was a very good point.

Quote:
I think they look exactly as they should; the film is meant to reference the various styles of superhero movies... Silk fits in with the Marvel style of leather and pvc, and Nite Owl is Nolan's Bat.

Quote:
One of the main theme of the book was a commentary on comics themselves, the characters in them, the different world portrayed, and how they'd work (or not work) together. Snyder has simply switched mediums and shortened the time span... now we have an Veidt wearing a bat-nipple suit, a Sin City looking Rorsch, etc. etc.

Posted on: 25 07 08 10:40 am

deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58414
The costumes look awful (with the notable exceptions of Rorschach, and the Comedian), but the trailer was too amazing. I can't imagine the film can possibly live up to even the meagerest expectation of matching the comic. That said it looks to be shaping up to be a damn good movie. I'm going to try to see it at the theater.

Posted on: 25 07 08 10:32 pm

Henchman
From Sweden
Level : 29; EXP : 1
HP : 0 / 700
MP : 363 / 41289
First off: Trailer looks very good. Better than I dared hope it would.
While I agree in part with Darumas quotes; I feel that the costumes are hit and miss. My biggest problem is with Veidt. I would have liked a suit that paid more homage to his idols, egyptian and macedonian.

Posted on: 26 07 08 10:58 am
--------------------------------------------
- I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be. (quote from Office Space)

VoltronWishesHeWasMe
Level : 9; EXP : 55
HP : 0 / 213
MP : 37 / 10082
I like to watch men What's the big deal?

Posted on: 29 07 08 12:05 pm

Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
Level : 36; EXP : 96
HP : 0 / 899
MP : 667 / 51479
OK I have seen the hi def trailer about 47.5 times, and have held my copy of the TP up to the screen. The similarity (fidelity?) between some panels and the corresponding scene in the trailer is pretty damn amazing. If they put that much attention to detail (like using the novel itself as a storyboard) then I will be happy.

Still don't know about Nite Owl II. He looks too buff in the scenes... and I happen to know there is a scene in the movie where Dan is all fat and sorta staring at the costume with a look of sadness, so I'm not sure what's going on with this aspect.

But when Silk Spectre walks slowly down the stairs.... yum. I want one.

Posted on: 29 07 08 02:01 pm

superhero
Level : 14; EXP : 7
HP : 0 / 326
MP : 75 / 19590
Been reading all the stuff to come out of the San Diego Comicon (Found all the quotes on the new posters in the books. ) and it left me with one question: Why change the costumes so drastically if you're going to be so faithful to the rest of the work?

I think I have an answer. When a comic book fan looks at the Watchmen they can see the connection to the Charlton characters. Dr. Manhattan = Captian Atom; Nite Owl = Blue Beetle; Rorscah = the Question; the Comedian = the Peacemaker. Even some of the characters not directly based on the Charlton characters can see superhero connections. Silk Spectre = Black Canary, Ozymandas = Hybrid Batman (Drive and Physicality)/Lex Luthor (Intelligence and Twistedness)/Green Arrow (Morals). Storytelling wise theres a lot of shortcuts there.

So how do you make that work for the general populance that's seen the Dark Knight but never read Batman: Year One? Attach them to superheroes that they understand. Ozy with his Rubber physique suit now reminds us of the Burton version of Batman. Nite Owl with his new suit seems more like the Nolan version. The Comedian gets a tweak to make us think of the Punisher. Silk Spector gets to be like Emma Peel. Characters without a movie connection get left alone. (Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan)

Also I think Nite Owl II got the diet cause otherwise the actor would have to wear a costume over a fatsuit.

Posted on: 29 07 08 06:12 pm

Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
Well, we'll have to see the ultimate product to really know if they hit it or blew it...

I saw an article where Patrick Wilson (Nite Owl II) was given a choice of wearing a fatsuit, and he decided to put on weight instead. I'm thinking some of the scenes of a slim buff NO2 are maybe flashbacks? Although there aren't really any such scenes in the TP. I can see this kind of "well you see, once I was in great shape, but see how I've let myself go" crap being added for the "rubes".

Posted on: 2 08 08 02:25 pm

Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 84827
Quote:

JrMcDeath wrote:

Does this really surprise anyone anymore. really bud you probably could just make that your signature

Posted on: 4 08 08 06:00 pm

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.

deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58414

Posted on: 15 11 08 07:27 pm

Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 84827
Quote:

Biohaz_Daddy wrote:
New New Trailer

This is looking really sweet!

Posted on: 15 11 08 08:22 pm

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.

Off the hook
From Cleveland
Level : 34; EXP : 91
HP : 0 / 847
MP : 575 / 50648
I thought the new trailer was pretty weak. I hate hate HATE that Rorschach refers to them as 'the Watchmen'.

Posted on: 15 11 08 10:59 pm

Magnifcent Mechanical Marvel (HFC)
From Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Level : 23; EXP : 52
HP : 0 / 563
MP : 222 / 32507
"Hate hate hate"? Mr. Daruma! Calm yourself! Go visit this site, sir. There's a message for you.
http://cognitivelabs.com/clarke3.htm

About the newest trailer: although I still think "Watchmen" should be adapted as a TV mini series, I'm liking what I'm seeing. Some sacrifices must happen in order to fit the plot into 2 hours.

I'm impressed with both trailers. We can identify the scenes! For me, this is the most important!

Posted on: 17 11 08 05:02 am

Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
I agree with Dar on this one.

I strongly dislike Rorschach referring to the group as "Watchmen".

I do not think that anywhere in the TP are they EVER referred to as "The Watchmen". If they are ever "officially" called anything, it is:

(1) Minutemen, and even that name is restricted to what the original group called themselves (i.e. in the Hooded Justice / Mothman / Dollar Bill / Stiletto days), or

(2) Crimebusters, which was the failed group that tried to come together before the Keene Act forced them to disband.

As an aside note, the nuclear explosion seen in NY in the trailer really is starting to bug me. I hope that this is a scene indicating what might happen if the US and Russia start a nuclear war, and NOT a scene from the true climax (i.e. no squid). Fans of the TP will know what I mean.

Posted on: 17 11 08 09:31 am

vigilante
Level : 1; EXP : 10
HP : 0 / 2
MP : 1 / 119
Quote:

QuantumFX wrote:
Been reading all the stuff to come out of the San Diego Comicon (Found all the quotes on the new posters in the books. ) and it left me with one question: Why change the costumes so drastically if you're going to be so faithful to the rest of the work?

I think I have an answer. When a comic book fan looks at the Watchmen they can see the connection to the Charlton characters. Dr. Manhattan = Captian Atom; Nite Owl = Blue Beetle; Rorscah = the Question; the Comedian = the Peacemaker. Even some of the characters not directly based on the Charlton characters can see superhero connections. Silk Spectre = Black Canary, Ozymandas = Hybrid Batman (Drive and Physicality)/Lex Luthor (Intelligence and Twistedness)/Green Arrow (Morals). Storytelling wise theres a lot of shortcuts there.

So how do you make that work for the general populance that's seen the Dark Knight but never read Batman: Year One? Attach them to superheroes that they understand. Ozy with his Rubber physique suit now reminds us of the Burton version of Batman. Nite Owl with his new suit seems more like the Nolan version. The Comedian gets a tweak to make us think of the Punisher. Silk Spector gets to be like Emma Peel. Characters without a movie connection get left alone. (Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan)

Also I think Nite Owl II got the diet cause otherwise the actor would have to wear a costume over a fatsuit.

i agree with you.

Posted on: 20 02 09 11:31 pm

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
Level : 13; EXP : 45
HP : 0 / 311
MP : 69 / 17542
Quote:

Daruma wrote:
I thought the new trailer was pretty weak. I hate hate HATE that Rorschach refers to them as 'the Watchmen'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the phrase "Who Watches the Watchmen" appear quite often through the series. I can't find my trade at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that their group was called "Watchmen".

Posted on: 21 02 09 07:17 am

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
Level : 13; EXP : 45
HP : 0 / 311
MP : 69 / 17542
Re-read the TPB over the weekend. This is the first time I've had a chance to come back to this. The nuke explosion you're talking about, Was, is from Dreiberg's dream he had.

The name of their group, if they were an organized group, is never mentioned in the series, but references to "Watchmen" are made through out it in flashbacks appearing on protest signs before the Keene Act was past and graffitti throughout the city. "Who Watches the Watchmen" is like a battle cry for the protesters against vigilantes so it can be guessed at that the name of their group was Watchmen.

Posted on: 26 02 09 01:42 pm

Supreme being
From lost somewhere in Northwest Ohio
Level : 26; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 625
MP : 280 / 36614
Quote:

Wasmith wrote:
I agree with Dar on this one.

I strongly dislike Rorschach referring to the group as "Watchmen".

I do not think that anywhere in the TP are they EVER referred to as "The Watchmen". If they are ever "officially" called anything, it is:

(1) Minutemen, and even that name is restricted to what the original group called themselves (i.e. in the Hooded Justice / Mothman / Dollar Bill / Stiletto days), or

(2) Crimebusters, which was the failed group that tried to come together before the Keene Act forced them to disband.

As an aside note, the nuclear explosion seen in NY in the trailer really is starting to bug me. I hope that this is a scene indicating what might happen if the US and Russia start a nuclear war, and NOT a scene from the true climax (i.e. no squid). Fans of the TP will know what I mean.

Was...you lost me with the squid remark...sorry. However, I do agree with you and Dar, too, about Rorschach using the title "Watchmen"...it bothers me too, for some reason...

One small favor that I would like to ask of everyone, if they wouldn't mind? A lot of people ( me included ) will not be able to see this movie the first 2-3 days that it's out...time, money, etc. In fact, there are a LOT of films that are coming out this year, that I will have to wait a week or so before I can go see them. So, if all of you would'nt mind...could you not reveal any details of these movies for at least the first week? I know that a lot of us are gonna go bonkers over a bunch of them...but, times are tight...I've been pinching pennies so hard, ol' Abe's squealing louder than one of JrMcD's sheep!

On another sight I go to, one of the members blabbed the post-credits scene from X-Men 3 the first day the movie was out...and got jumped on by half the members there for ruining the suprise for them. I know that we are all adults here...and I'm trying not to be a bother with this...But I like suprises, too!

We now return you to our regulary scheduled thread, which is already in progress...

Posted on: 26 02 09 02:33 pm

Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
Quote:
you lost me with the squid remark

I hesitate to describe the squid, because you asked for no spoilers. But if you had read the book, I think you would know what the squid was, since it's rather significant to the climax of the story.

CapFan - The group that included Nite Owl II, The Comedian, Silk Spectre, Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan etc. was informally called "Crimebusters". The term "watchmen" refers to a term used by the public to decribe the vigilante situation. It comes from an old Latin phrase Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who watches the watchmen?). It basically means "Who will protect us from the protectors?" This theme surfaces a lot in comics, i.e. what happens when superheroes get too strong or powerful for their own good?

Anyway, enough pontificating... I am trying to be psyched for the film, I have my IMAX tickets and my butt will be in the center seat next Friday at 7:00.

Posted on: 26 02 09 05:35 pm

Supreme being
From lost somewhere in Northwest Ohio
Level : 26; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 625
MP : 280 / 36614
Quote:

Wasmith wrote:
Quote:
you lost me with the squid remark

I hesitate to describe the squid, because you asked for no spoilers. But if you had read the book, I think you would know what the squid was, since it's rather significant to the climax of the story.

CapFan - The group that included Nite Owl II, The Comedian, Silk Spectre, Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan etc. was informally called "Crimebusters". The term "watchmen" refers to a term used by the public to decribe the vigilante situation. It comes from an old Latin phrase Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who watches the watchmen?). It basically means "Who will protect us from the protectors?" This theme surfaces a lot in comics, i.e. what happens when superheroes get too strong or powerful for their own good?

Anyway, enough pontificating... I am trying to be psyched for the film, I have my IMAX tickets and my butt will be in the center seat next Friday at 7:00.

Yeah...it's been a while since I read it...had to go back and re-read it. Right now, I'm saving money to also catch HP-6, ST-11, and X-Men Origans: Wolverine". Hope the economy improves by then...

BTW, WAS: which one's your favorite?

Posted on: 27 02 09 11:17 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.