Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
73 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Star Trek (2009)
Hellfire Club Member
From The Muggy Depths of Amerika
Level : 19; EXP : 3
HP : 0 / 450
MP : 139 / 22491
quite! ^_^ but alas, i couldn't stand ANY of the TOS movies, so i'm afraid i never saw that bit. tho, to be fair, none of the TNG movies were worth much salt anyway. but yeah, i remember another thing i liked bout the movie is everything made more sense, for a given value of sense. the Starships felt like military ships, as they should, the People acted like Military Officers, as they should, and the tech for the most part made sense to the layman in me. doesnt mean i didn't notice some nitpicks, such as why was the enterprise being made conviently in Kirk's town, or why Pike was conviently in the same town as well, recruitment officer or no. (all bits in the trailers, so don't bit me head off for spoilers) could go on, but it might make it seem like i didnt like it, when i fact i loved it.

Posted on: 12 05 09 10:02 am

I be all Zen and shit.
Create PDF from Post Print

Supreme being
From lost somewhere in Northwest Ohio
Level : 26; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 625
MP : 280 / 36704
Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:
Quote:

JrMcDeath wrote:
I thought it ROCKED!!!

I agree 100%
I loved it.

I'm showing my age...But, I was there when it was first run on NBC...back in 1967 ( I was 11 at the time )

So, yell at me all you want...lob tomatoes if ya feel like it...but, I have to give this a '5' out of "10". The only actor I was impressed by was Karl Urban's great portrayal of Dr. Leonard McCoy. Ulhura acted way off base...Checkov is only 17? Kirk is too much of a smart-ass jerk???

COME ON NOW!

Maybe they'll get it right in the next film...but, Ol' Charlie here ain't gonna hold his breath...

Posted on: 12 05 09 02:58 pm

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
Level : 13; EXP : 45
HP : 0 / 311
MP : 69 / 17587
Quote:
I'm showing my age...But, I was there when it was first run on NBC...back in 1967 ( I was 11 at the time )

So, yell at me all you want...lob tomatoes if ya feel like it...but, I have to give this a '5' out of "10". The only actor I was impressed by was Karl Urban's great portrayal of Dr. Leonard McCoy. Ulhura acted way off base...Checkov is only 17? Kirk is too much of a smart-ass jerk???

COME ON NOW!

Maybe they'll get it right in the next film...but, Ol' Charlie here ain't gonna hold his breath...

First, wow.

Second, I agree with you 100% about Karl Urban. Probably the best portrayal of one of the original characters in the entire movie hands down. I also agree about Uhura being off. Checkov was the youngest member of the crew I believe and remember this is now an alternate timeline where they pulled cadets from the academy to man the ship.

That leads into my point about Kirk. Kirk went from being the raised in Iowa by his mother and father to the Kirk we have now. The Kirk in this movie never knew his father other than the stories he was told. Without that positive male influence in his life, you get the Kirk that steals an antique roadster and purposefully drives into a canyon as a boy. You get the Kirk that hits the bars where cadets hang out so he can hit on the girls and fight with the guys.

The trailers and posters warned you. "This isn't your father's Star Trek." So, sorry, "Dad".

For the record though, I did go see it with my dad who is a huge fan of ToS and was alive to watch it when it was a regular series and he loved it. He's two years older than you by the way, Wolf. (have I made you feel old enough yet?)

Posted on: 12 05 09 11:02 pm

Supreme being
Quote:

CapFan wrote:

For the record though, I did go see it with my dad who is a huge fan of ToS and was alive to watch it when it was a regular series and he loved it. He's two years older than you by the way, Wolf. (have I made you feel old enough yet?)

Look, you young punk, I was walking through 6 foot snow drifts, in minus 15 degree weather, during a blizzard, to get to kindergarden when I was your age!

Seriously...like I said, I was there for TOS, NextGen, DS-9, Voyager, and "The-One-We-Don't-Talk-About"...

So, yes, I'm old. I've got kidney stones, protate troubles, and a serious crush on Power Girl and Catwoman! I have no problems with the storyline...the music...or the freaking Star Wars people who showed up looking for 'Golden Boy' to finally get killed ( think they were talking about C3-PO )

My prob, like I said, was with the Kirk / Spock mix-up. I agree that it is / was an alternative universe. But there are some things that you just don't mess with!

Anyway...I'm going to go see it again ( my older sister is buying the tickets ) and I'll try to have an open mind..."PROMISE"

Posted on: 13 05 09 03:22 am

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
That's funny. My grandpa had to deal with those same conditions when he was getting to school. You must not live far from me? ;)

As for Kirk being a smartass when he was younger, remember that even before this movie, this is the same guy who cheated on the Kobeashimeru (sp) test. If that's not being a smart ass...

I do agree completely with the Spock situation I think you are talking about. Totally flipped script considering the situations given in ToS.

Posted on: 13 05 09 05:39 am

Supreme being
Quote:

CapFan wrote:
That's funny. My grandpa had to deal with those same conditions when he was getting to school. You must not live far from me? ;)

As for Kirk being a smartass when he was younger, remember that even before this movie, this is the same guy who cheated on the Kobeashimeru (sp) test. If that's not being a smart ass...

I do agree completely with the Spock situation I think you are talking about. Totally flipped script considering the situations given in ToS.

Holland, OH...just ouutside Toledo. And, in the "Star Trek: New Frontier" series of books, the Big Dog, Capt. McKenzie Calhoun, Wins the 'Maru' test in a unique way. So, yes, Kirk cheated. But, like he stated "It's a "NO-WIN" senario...and I hate to lose" It's just the way they posed him, nonchalantly eating an apple during the test that really bugs the carp outta me

Posted on: 14 05 09 03:49 am

Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 85029
I hope they kill chekov next time, I never liked him

Bwahahahahahhahaha.

Posted on: 14 05 09 10:46 am

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.

Gold Member
From Asylum for the criminally insane.
Level : 5; EXP : 90
HP : 0 / 122
MP : 16 / 5885
I really enjoyed it, as did my wife. We are both old school TOS fans, and still thought it was good. We'll see it again, I think. I liked the alternative time line plot, especially the fact that they didn't jump forward and fix the problem.

I really enjoyed Karl Urban and Simon Pegg.

Oh, and they killed a red shirt! Now that's very TOS!

We're looking forward to sequels!

Posted on: 14 05 09 06:00 pm

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
As soon as I saw that guy dressed in red getting into that shuttle with Kirk and Sulu, I turned to my dad and said "he's going to die".

Posted on: 14 05 09 10:32 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81916
Quote:

CapFan wrote:
As soon as I saw that guy dressed in red getting into that shuttle with Kirk and Sulu, I turned to my dad and said "he's going to die".

That comment reminded me of this.......

Posted on: 15 05 09 01:37 pm

vigilante
Level : 1; EXP : 2
HP : 0 / 0
MP : 0 / 29
this movie is great .. i watched it 3 times

Posted on: 27 07 09 10:56 pm

Account*
Name   Password   Login