Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
79 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Gay super heroes
vigilante
Level : 2; EXP : 62
HP : 0 / 40
MP : 5 / 2234
I was wondering if any of you would stop reading a book just because some of the heroes in the book turned out to be gay? 'Cause that's what alot of people wrote into Marvel about with there fairly new series Young Avengers. You may or may not know the Wiccan (formerly Asgardian) and Hulking are a gay couple.

Posted on: 10 09 05 03:27 pm
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: Gay super heroes
Seductress of Sin (real life Babe)
From Hottest Depths of Hell
Level : 38; EXP : 49
HP : 0 / 937
MP : 741 / 52511
Oh, I say, "Who cares?"

Makes for more interesting stories. Shoot, had I known before I might have purchased them.

So far when it comes up in any comic I've read, they basically just make a joke or two about it. You never see a couple. I'm glad comics are catching up to the times.

Posted on: 10 09 05 08:26 pm

re:
The Metal Shinigami (Moderator)
From Kentucky
Level : 52; EXP : 13
HP : 255 / 1278
MP : 1716 / 72388
Only reason I would stop reading it is if they had a character for the longest time be straight then at the drop of a hat he is gay....I think this happened to Beast in one of the many x-men series........

Posted on: 10 09 05 09:08 pm

Northerners
Dazed and Confused... mostly Confused
From usa
Level : 44; EXP : 51
HP : 0 / 1087
MP : 1096 / 62845
Alpha Flight, everyone made a giant deal out of one of the characters coming out of the closet. Big deal.........

Posted on: 11 09 05 12:25 am

beast isn't gay
vigilante
Beast isn't gay, all that was about that an ex-girl friend of his told the media he was gay. Beast just made jokes about it to Cyclops by repeatedly saying "Maybe I am" and Cyke would always tell him "No, I know you, you're not gay."

Posted on: 11 09 05 04:33 am

Re: Northerners
From Kentucky
Quote:

Thayne_LuC wrote:
Alpha Flight, everyone made a giant deal out of one of the characters coming out of the closet. Big deal.........

The big deal about that was that he had adopted a child that was HIV possitive

Posted on: 11 09 05 08:22 am

Henchman
From Sweden
Level : 29; EXP : 1
HP : 0 / 700
MP : 363 / 41435
I really don't give a damn whether the characters are straight, gay, bi-, non-sexual or just horny little buggers who would hump anything that moves. As long as the story is good, and the characters interesting, I'm happy.
That said, I'm not the least bit suprised that a lot of people are angry about gay superheroes. 'cus a lot of ignorant people out there still seem to think 'gay' is something you can 'catch'...

Posted on: 11 09 05 09:24 am
--------------------------------------------
- I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be. (quote from Office Space)

The Great Eternal Dragon
From Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
Level : 67; EXP : 49
HP : 664 / 1662
MP : 3750 / 98140
There are many stories in the Neked city and some of them just happen to be gay!
Hell I'm old enough to remember when gay meant happy!
What the Hey Who cares!

Posted on: 11 09 05 01:06 pm

who gives a flying monkey carcass!
superhero
From Wouldn't you like to know?
Level : 16; EXP : 25
HP : 0 / 381
MP : 100 / 21467
i think it's a great idea. and if people don't like it, stop reading the ####ing title! it's a comic book! so what that their gay? i'm writing mine with a gay guy but he could kick the ass of anyone here. and you know, somewhere in the midwest, someone like kyle's mom will complain about it.

i hate stupid people.

Posted on: 11 09 05 01:55 pm

Re: who gives a flying monkey carcass!
lurks in arcades (moderator)
From Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Level : 17; EXP : 75
HP : 0 / 418
MP : 120 / 24420
no,no,no...tells us what you really think about it...just kiddin'....i really don't see a problem with gay superheroes...to each his own, right?

just remember...stupid isn't a disease...but it's spreading like one...

Posted on: 11 09 05 02:35 pm

poon
I'm man enough to admit that many years ago, when I was a youngin I used to watch that Ellen DeGeneres sitcom, when I was a dumbass and watched network TV(I haven't watched network TV in probably 5-6 years now). Anyhow, I thought the show was amusing, kind of funny, whatever, but then they made the big announcement that she was gay. Big wow. I stopped watching the thing.

Not because she was gay, but because the show wasn't funny anymore, because that's ALL they focused on. She's gay. Who cares? Why change the direction and course of something just to point a big blinking arrow at some character trait that doesn't support the purpose of the show, which is to be funny.

In comics, if the character is well-written, well-rounded and interesting, sexual orientation shouldn't even be a factor. Alerting others of sexual orientation is a sad attempt to be edgy nowadays. There are gay people, they live amongst us. It's no big deal. I think when people actually sell something on the basis of a character being gay, that's just silly and quite pathetic.

It just has to be consistent with the character. Don't turn him/her gay just to 'shake things up'. It insults and disrespects the people who honestly and genuinely live the gay lifestyle.

In addition, back when The Authority was written by Ellis, I LOVED it and I thought Apollo and Midnighter were incredible characters, and them being a gay couple didn't detract from them being written as people and not just 'gay' people.

Posted on: 12 09 05 11:25 am

Re: poon
Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 82006
Damn you Jean-Paul Beaubier ... Damn you for coming out of the closet and letting the world know you were gay... I wonder if that really turned on Robin? I think all comic book characters are gay... None of them know it yet...

I really don't care... none of them can be any more gay than the guy that cuts my hair.

Posted on: 12 09 05 12:15 pm

superhero
Level : 14; EXP : 7
HP : 0 / 326
MP : 75 / 19658
This is a complex question to answer. In the generic sense there are a lot of reasons I'd drop the title. However, it has to do with the attitude of the writer rather than the sexual orientation of the character.
My first requirement is that they have to be as well written as Keith and David from Six Feet Under or possibly Will from Will and Grace.
Second, it had better not feel like a publicity stunt or that the writer has a political axe to grind. (Examples include Speedy getting HIV and the reinvention of Kid Colt.)
Third, I'd rather not see a bunch of fairy/butch stereotypes. It's a poor plot device that's been overused in modern media. (Jack from Will and Grace, All the characters from the L word, etc...)
Fourth, stay away from the established characters. It was OK with Northstar because his character was developed with the homosexuality aspect in mind. Anyone trying to make Captian America or Batman gay just because "That's how some of the gay community views them" should be strung up and used as a pinyata at the San Diego Comicon.

Posted on: 12 09 05 12:31 pm

re
vigilante
Well the way Young Avengers di it was good it's not a focuse of the book. It just happens that some of that two members of the team are a gay couple. basically all that's really going to come out of it is that they'll be protective of each other in a fight. kinda like with Scott in Jean in the older X-Men comics.

and as far as Northstar being gay it really didn't do anything to his character. I was interesting when they did that little thing about him having a crush on iceman but that's really the last that it's been seen. After all Northstar took a back seat once they did the whole X-Men Reload. He appeared in Wolverine and Wolvie killed his ass, but then the Hand brought him back to life and he looks like one back mother f*****. I don't care if he's gay he looked creepy in the last issue of Wolverine he was in.

Posted on: 16 09 05 08:14 am

OK, let me see if I understand this...
superhero
Level : 14; EXP : 7
HP : 0 / 326
MP : 75 / 19658
Northstar is now an Uncloseted, Evil-undead, Half-elven, Ninja, Mutant? I can now say Marvel has a more confusing chatacter than Psylocke...
After the mighty Claremont left I haven’t followed the X titles at all. It’s too bad that Marvel went that route with him. I’ve never thought of him as X-men material. He’s always been Alpha Flight’s version of Quicksilver.

Posted on: 16 09 05 02:19 pm

Re: OK, let me see if I understand this...
From Kentucky
the whole death and rebirtrh death clone death cyborg etc of the whos who has went well over my head, glad i for the most part gave up comics

Posted on: 17 09 05 03:31 am

Christ
Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
So they killed off another character to bring him back and have him.... Oh who cares... he is still gay...

Posted on: 19 09 05 07:07 am

Sienfeld
Supreme being
From Kentucky
Level : 28; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 675
MP : 333 / 38188
not that there's anything wrong with it.

Posted on: 19 09 05 11:16 pm

Re: Sienfeld
Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Quote:

JRC4th wrote:
not that there's anything wrong with it.

Posted on: 20 09 05 09:11 am

vigilante
From Bangor Maine
Level : 5; EXP : 43
HP : 0 / 110
MP : 14 / 5996
Why would anyone stop reading a book because the character is gay? If (as in the Young Avengers) characters are created gay, then that is the way they are. On the other hand changing a long established characters sexuality might lead me to stop reading that title. I mean if Spiderman suddenly started making out with Flash after all these years of chasing women, well that changes the character.
But my point is that gay or straight should never matter, as long as the stories are well written.
Unlike this response.

Posted on: 26 10 05 12:45 pm

TangentRunner
"Me fail English? Thats unpossible."

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.