Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
74 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Rather odd request/couple questions for you 3D cats!
Gold Member
Level : 9; EXP : 25
HP : 0 / 206
MP : 35 / 11099
My question is... What exactly do you cats who generate and render 3D models need to create a character?

I have a character I created for a story titled Sonic Jack. It's a female known as Princess Katranna. I have dimensions of the character (i.e. measurements) and 9 pages of face sketches, pose sketches and perhaps 3 or 4 full body sketches. But they aren't turnarounds perse. What do you guys and gals really need to make something like this happen?

I contacted Peter Cotton with a request for his sensational work. Hopefully I didn't scare him off lol.

My other question is this... Since the idea of making a 3D version of this character, I kind of felt eager to see if I couldn't find a proper program to do this myself. Mind you, I've never tried this before and the idea of wireframes and polygons makes my head explode.

Would that Daz3d prog be good for a starter? Easy to learn type of thing? And can you change certain areas (yeah ok, the boobs and lips need to be a bit bigger) on the already existing models?

Well that's about it for me. I'm guessing from looking at the daz production site, the software is free, but you pay a pretty penny for the bundles?

Posted on: 12 03 08 06:27 am
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: Rather odd request/couple questions for you 3D cats!
Shaper of Worlds
From Matteson, Il
Level : 47; EXP : 34
HP : 231 / 1158
MP : 1303 / 67649
Well you answered your own question thereA turn-around would be a good start for transforming a 2D character to 3D. It would also help if the artist knew what type of material the character's costume [providing they have one] is made of i.e. Leather, spandex, armor, rubber..it would help when applying both texture and bump maps to the figure to make the suit look the way you intended it to look.
In my opinion Daz3D is one of the best 3D 'starter' programs around. It's very user friendly and one can easily figure out a lot of the workings of it without the benefit of a tutorial. Although Poser has a lot more to offer and produces a much higher quality render than Daz3D, it can read like stereo instructions to the untrained user.
But since I don't get paid for doing promotion work for Daz Studio you have to decide what's best for you.

Posted on: 12 03 08 07:37 am

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81711
My cat's breath smells like cat fude.

Posted on: 12 03 08 09:46 am

Hellfire Club Member
From The Muggy Depths of Amerika
Level : 19; EXP : 3
HP : 0 / 450
MP : 139 / 22422
sorry bout the lack of contact, just been uber swamped from school work, coupled with a missing muse.

about the programs, i've tried both poser 7 and Daz/Studio, and to be honest, i like the flexiblity of Daz. its true you have to push it sometimes to get quality renders, but it has a lot of cool features.

i would try to make what you need yourself, because the only person who will truly understand what you want is you. failing that, yeah, a lot of us 3d cats (i love that term, by the by) can be commissioned or requested.

>_>
depending on our free time.
<_<

also, ignore Jr there, he's just fantasizing about his cat.

Posted on: 12 03 08 10:46 am

I be all Zen and shit.

Gold Member
Thanks guys! Sorry about the cat breath man... yeah... um... I'm going to slowly step away from that one.

Peter! Yeah, I knew you had a busy schedule of school, life and work along with your other obligations. So, that's not a problem. I'm pretty easy going with the character and the outfit. So, if anyone does want a crack at this... let me know. Especially you Peter! I'd still love to see your style on this.

Oh yeah, the outfit for her changes a lot. But the one she normally wears is a cotton blend lol.

From what I saw with the Daz website that was offered on this site, the renders looked pretty badass. So, if it's not too much I think I may look into getting it.

You guys reccomend Windows or MAC download?

I think overall, my windows would be able to take the beating more than my MAC. It's a laptop and it's pretty busy holding photoshop and illustrator for my other work lol.

Once again, thanks for the responses! I really appreciate the feedback.

And thanks to Peter... I atleast have 9 extra pages for a new sketchbook to sell lol.

Posted on: 12 03 08 04:01 pm

The Metal Shinigami (Moderator)
From Kentucky
Level : 52; EXP : 13
HP : 255 / 1278
MP : 1716 / 72122
Quote:
Perhaps this isn't the exact thread to post this and I'm sorry for my idiot status with this 3D category... I am trying to learn what I can before doing anything tho... and there's the slight problem and reason I'm bothing you cats.

If anything, possible a link to a tutorial, or some sort of description from you guys... How do you take a drawing of a character and turn it into a 3D character?

I mean... You have a drawing of the front, side and back... how do you map it altogether to form one mass?

To this day, since the first time I ever saw a 3D image, it's amazed me how you people can turn something 2D into something that has 3 dimensions.

So... I envy you lol.
Rather than answer this question in a new thread started on this same topic, I am answering it here. There is a program called ZBrush that turns 2D into 3D. I have not had the joy of using it yet so I can not tell you about it. there are a few here that have. I don't know if this is what you are talking about or if you just want to add depth to your existing drawings to make the "look" 3D

Posted on: 13 03 08 03:16 am

Gold Member
Well, to start off, let me apologise for that. I didn't know if I should put it in the same thread as before, due to it being something a bit different in nature. But I thank you for posting your comment in here... at all actually.

To give you a better idea of what I'm after... and mind you... this is just 'fanart' I'm looking at. I'm not going to use anything for economic gain. I'm not asking anyone to come up with a bunch of characters of my design so I can use them. Just fan art.

Anyways... These are a few headshots, and two more full bodied sketches of my character... We'll do this visually as that's the best way fo rme to convey any message I try to give anyone lol.

I would like this character to be rendered to a 3D character, such as...
Peter Cottons' Style of rendering.
Or even this...
The Wicked Wanda, in case none of you wish to click the link

So, it's not that I'm trying to show depth in my character, via coloring or rendering. It's just the mere fact of seeing her transformed into a 3D character in for example, Peter's style, or Roses' and so on.

Now, I too have not had the pleasure of zBrush. A cat I know... Steven Sanchez, has played around with it for his work. Altho, only thing I ever really saw from him was a blob like creature lol.

I've seen a few tutorials on youtube for how to use it. Looks like it would be a blast. Sad thing with that tho, is it's a 2.5D program.

You can work in 3D until you save it and export it I guess. IF I'm following what the narrator was saying. Altho, I guess, if you're smart... you could do screen caps perhaps of rotating it? I don't know. I watched a few of those tutorials and was beside myself.

I know th gnomon workshop has a few dvd tutorials on maya, zbrush and a few other programs. Nothing about Daz 3D tho.

So all in all... did that help to understand what I am looking for? Or have I totally lost you and anyone else reading my post?

Posted on: 13 03 08 04:02 am

Hellfire Club Member
From The Muggy Depths of Amerika
Level : 19; EXP : 3
HP : 0 / 450
MP : 139 / 22422
hmmm, i like your corset girl. you mind sending me a few samples, measurements, colors(hair, eye, that kinda thing)?

i mean, no promises yet, but give it a few weeks, and i might have enough time.

and hey.

you shoulda SAID your girl wears a corset. woulda jumped all over!

^_^

anyway, send me a pm, if you want, and i'll see what i can do.
very least, i'll tell if its a bit of wait.

about zbrush. i tried it once, half a year ago. and it IS pretty steep learning curve. but, if you get good at it, then you'll get natural looking figures. and its true that zbrush isn't exactly a 3d program, mainly because as far as i know, you need something to rig the model, and possibly add materials to it.

Posted on: 13 03 08 12:58 pm

I be all Zen and shit.

Gold Member
LMAO Peter, you're a nut man! I like ya

She does wear a corset in her formal atire... meeting headhonchos and what not and doing public events. Otherwise, it's the free flowing cotton blend outfit. I'll be sending you sketches of that too. Measurements, you'll love lol.

Um... timeline... Not a problem man. It took almost a year (little less than) for Steven E Gordon and I to get together for a piece of fan art from him. Man, he loved her too lol. I'll send you a small copy of the colors I'm doing with that as well.

And I know, it's no promise that you'll be able to do it and when... If it takes till Christmas, no biggie there either. SEcond coming of Christ... perhaps that'll be too late lol.

I'll send you a pm.

You want a zip file or individual pages sent btw?

I noticed on the Z brush tutorials on youtube, they only showed making a human head. Which sound simple, but dang... still jaw dropping to try and figure out everything you have to do for an object.

Posted on: 13 03 08 01:10 pm

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.