Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
77 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Why I am not good at digital art!
Hero to the stars
From Moses Lake, Washington
Level : 42; EXP : 24
HP : 0 / 1031
MP : 950 / 56327
First I want to say that I am not a stupid person. I was on the Honor Roll at school and I am college educated, but because of medical problems (shaking, dizziness, blurred and/or double vision, and failing memory and concentration) I have lots of trouble doing almost anything, including digital art.

I want to thank all of the people who have given me suggestions on how to improve my art but I have to follow a detailed tutorial every time in order to complete a picture. For coloring I have been using Winterhawk's tutorial. Most of the suggestions and tips people have given me I don't quite understand or I can't figure out how to do them. I really do need detailed step-by-step instructions on any art I do.

I do not work at this time, I am on disability. I can not drive a car anymore or do lots of things I used to do.

A couple of years ago I came across the Heromorph web site and decided to try my hand at digital art. All I could afford was an old Photoshop 6 program so it is not very up to date.

If people want me to stop posting my not so good art just let me know and I won't post anymore.

I don't want people to feel sorry for me, I just wanted to explain why my art is not improving very much. Thanks everyone.

Posted on: 26 03 08 09:45 am
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: Why I am not good at digital art!
Dazed and Confused... mostly Confused
From usa
Level : 44; EXP : 51
HP : 0 / 1087
MP : 1096 / 62619

Ok. So you're not progressing rapidly at coloring. Neither am I. Hell, if you've seen any of my earliest postings you'd notice I had extremely tiny amounts of improvement over the period of 20some odd years. Then I came here and........ just being surrounded by artists of differing levels has caused a change. For better or worse, the key thing was patience. None of this happened over night.

Something else about this site that I'm addicted to is the personalities. The ones I choose to surround myself with are fun loving, smart mouthed, don't take sh*t off no one type, all around good people. Some I look to for a form of teaching. Others for an objective point of view. And still others to flat out tell me when what I create is straight trash. What I expect is that none of them lie to me. Point being, I have yet to see anyone trash your work. Yes it may be somewhat frustrating to offer tip after tip after tip and not see results. Yet we all still offer it. Because watching someone grow as an artist is seriously a cool thing

Posted on: 26 03 08 10:09 am

deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58406
Art is funny. It is weird how many of us get emotionally wrapped up with the endeavor. Feeling uncomfortable putting your stuff out there is not all that uncommon. Nevertheless in some masochistic way we have to do it.

Heromorph is a community that has artists with a wide range of abilities and ultimately capabilities. We are group that helps others as we also look to each other for help. We have competitions for those who want to measure themselves a little more directly against their peers, as well as a large group who stick to their own muse.

The only real expectations here are that you do your best, and that you offer what you can back to the community.

I think it's safe to say that you meet those expectations. beyond that have a good time. Most of us will never be Androids, JrMcDeaths, or Matrixblurs anyways. If you have the desire, shoot for that level, but kindly accept yourself if you don't quite get there.

At least that's what I tell myself.

Posted on: 26 03 08 10:52 am

Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
Level : 36; EXP : 96
HP : 0 / 899
MP : 667 / 51479
I must take exception to your premise.

Who is to say whether you are good at digital art? Or any other kind of art for that matter?

The only person you ultimately have to satisfy is yourself. You think I do my little manips and colorings and such because I think I'm good at it? I do it because I enjoy it. I like to get comments, sure, and I especially like the ones that say "wow you're the best, this is incredible, you rock" and so forth. But at the end of the day I do this because I want to, and really don't care what others think (except for one person out there, and you know who you are....". )

I am glad I discovered Heromorph, to give me an outlet for my doodles... and I enjoy the crazy community we have here and have made some good friends.

You are an important part of HM, don't forget that.

So do the best you can. I look forward to your next post.

-W

Posted on: 26 03 08 11:40 am

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34752
bhm, after many years doing many manips I have to point this truth out... there is no money to be made doing this.

So you are not getting paid now, nor will you ever be, and nor is anyone else. If no-one's paying you then you're doing it because you want to and the opinions of others don't matter that much.
Conclusion: keep doing it if you want to, and if you've put in a good effort post it, if you want to.

Posted on: 26 03 08 12:47 pm

Wizard of Lasagna (Mod)
From From the Other Side of the Ocean
Level : 45; EXP : 33
HP : 221 / 1108
MP : 1153 / 54590
I like your kind manners and how you always find something good to comment on everybodys art.
As for your own art, I for one like it. And like Wasmith said the only person that matters is you, you should do what you like and if you want to improve somehow don't force on it, just have fun doing and take your time until you're happy with it....
Remember why you start doing art and have fun with it...
This is not a contest, everybody like to get comments and feedback. That's the way we learn.
Keep doing your art the best you know how and keep posting them here. You're an important part of this community and I'm sure a lot of persons think the same.
Anyways, that's my opinion.

Posted on: 26 03 08 12:54 pm

Hero to the stars
Thank you all for the kind words. I do like it here at Heromorph and I just do the pictures for fun, doing the best I can.

The main point I was trying to make is that I have a serious medical problem that effects my ability to learn and retain information, both old and new. Most of the tips and tricks people have suggested I don't understand and/or can't seem to get it to work.

I will keep making comments, posting what art I can, enjoying the company of a awesome group of people, and doing whatever else I can to keep this the greatest site on the web. Thanks everyone.

Posted on: 26 03 08 02:52 pm

superhero
Level : 14; EXP : 7
HP : 0 / 326
MP : 75 / 19588
bhm1954,

Theres been a lot of good advice for you here. I highly recommend rereading Biohazard and Wasmith's posts multiple times.

This is my 2 cents.

For any creative endeavor there is one thing more important than skill. It's called passion. Do you enjoy making the artwork? Do you want to get better at it? If your answering yes to these questions then you have a passion for it and it would be a shame to not continue.

Quantum

Posted on: 26 03 08 03:16 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81700
Lets all have a group Hug.

After reading what everyone wrote... I really didn't have anything to say extra.

Just keep at it and if you enjoy doing it... screw everyone else...

[stewie griffon] Yeah... words of wisdom, man.... words of wisdom. [/stewie griffon]

Posted on: 26 03 08 03:54 pm

Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 84815
hey BHM,

Never stop posting. You are the type of person that Heromorph is made for. You are kind, you are active, and you are a fan artist, and you are a good guy.

My coloring tutorial is a pretty basic tutorial. I do have plans on making an advanced coloring tutorial one day, when I find the time. BTW.

Also please note that a lot of artists give critiques on peoples work not so much for the person that made the art but for themselves. giving a full critique or advise is a good way for an artist to think about what you did that they like and methods that they would use to improve your image in their own style. Many artists will then take the information that they derived from the advice they gave to you and use it in their own work.

Back in the day before I started to admin this site, I was one of the most active people that gave critiques on this site. I did it for completely selfish reasons, not really to help others but to look at their art and use it as a jumping board for my own ideas and methods of improvement. I notice others still do the same here.

Posted on: 26 03 08 08:33 pm

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.

Gold Member
Level : 9; EXP : 25
HP : 0 / 206
MP : 35 / 11099
First time I'm going to help someone on here... atleast I hope so...
BHM... first off, what these guys are saying is true. It's a passion of yours. So whether or not you progress to extreme standards is moot. You do what you can do... I have looked at your work, as I've done with many people on this site and I think you do some great work. I think the only thing that holds you back perse... is sometimes SOMETIMES, the quality of the work you fine to color. I know that's not something you can fix... and when I say quality of work... I'm not talking about the artist... sometimes a low rez file is all you can get and that creates headaches on it's own.

As for tutorials... I don't really go by any tutorials. I have read many, or viewed many and I can't follow them to produce what I'm supposed to. I bought a few dvd tutorials and stopped after the 3rd one... Why? There was one line in it that said what I was wondering about... "This one guy I know just renders the heck out of his colors..."

I figure why bust my balls to learn something when I can go back to how I was taught in college... render the shit outta everything if I need to.

Photoshop 6... I still have that on my old Mac... it has it's usefulness to say the least... Right now, I'm on a learning stage with Photoshop CS2 that I bought late last year (right before cs3 came out... I can't win!)

I had to teach myself everything on Photoshop... and sometimes I have to relearn everything every day... I kind of know what you mean when you find frustration in that.

Now... the only thing I really do... is study photographs. I look at how the light lands on a person, how it creates shadows and highlights. Sometimes, I'll try to mimic what I see... that's all I really do.

My latest piece... I had to try something totally new... I like it, I'll try to figure out something to make it easier...

I have an action that takes lineart and with a keystroke or two, generates it into its own layer and takes out the white background. Even makes a separate layer to color on. I don't think it would be a problem for PS6...

You using a MAC or Windows?

As for asking if you should stop posting?
To hell with ANYONE That tells you to stop posting your work! If you offend someone... the powers that be perhaps... I could see being asked to stop lol... but other than that... You gotta keep showing what you're doing... it's the only way to get feedback and doesn't it make you feel good when you hear that you're doing well?

Buck up man... I know it's gotta be beyond difficult and I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through...

Don't you dare tho... stop posting or give up on yourself or this passion of yours.

As an artist that sometimes (God I wish it was more) gets paid for his work... I'm telling you... you're good.
We're all here to help, admire, inspire and above all have fun...Keep that in mind man!
Later
Jon

Posted on: 26 03 08 11:29 pm

Gold Member
Level : 8; EXP : 84
HP : 0 / 196
MP : 32 / 11619
"Why I am not good at digital art!"

Don't think of it that way....think of it this way, "I presently struggle with digital art."

If you are having fun...that is all that matters. If you enjoy creating the stuff...that is what matters. Just have fun and keep posting.

Posted on: 28 03 08 05:16 pm

Gold Member
From If you don't know by now don't ask!
Level : 29; EXP : 22
HP : 0 / 705
MP : 369 / 40479
BHM
I can only think of one way to say what I have to say so here goes (puts on DI hat) Listen here Marine!! You are not allowed to quit, I will not allow it! Wether you like it or not, you are a part of this family and we will not allow you to quit! Am I making myself CLEAR?! (Takes DI hat off)
Seriously now, BHM we all respect and love you here. Not all of us can be a Callero or a Jr. or Winterhawk. All we can do is do what we do and let it brighten that little part of someones day.
You know what I went through not that long ago, and you were in the shoutbox and gave me some good advice, so let me help you out now. Being a part of this group doesn't mean you have to post art or write stories, although I look forward to seeing your stuff along with everyone elses. You are one of the few people that truly takes the time to post comments on pictures all the time.
You give that new or struggling artist that little push do try again with your kind words or helpful hints.
Please don't stop doing that, or posting your work, it would make this place less bright without you.
I guess now that I have given you my hardass AND soft speaches I hope that you understand you belong here no matter what you think of your work.
Please stay here to be that friendly icon that so many of us look forward to seeing posting comments in the galleries.

Posted on: 29 03 08 12:56 pm
I have a rendezvous with Death, at some disputed barricade, if maybe he should take my hand and lead me into his dark land and close my eyes and quench my breath. I have a rendezvous with death, and my pledged word am true, I have not failed that rende...

vigilante
Level : 2; EXP : 38
HP : 0 / 34
MP : 4 / 1615
G?Day Bhm,

We are always our own worst critics,
After reading your post and then taking a look at your art work I have to honestly say dude I don?t see a problem here, both your Comic Art and your 3D art is quite good.
I have to agree with the others. If you enjoy what your doing keep doing it.
It?s that?s simple, and to hell with any one who criticizers your work.

Posted on: 30 03 08 04:58 am

vigilante
From In The Groove
Level : 4; EXP : 59
HP : 0 / 89
MP : 11 / 4336
One way to avoid depression or frustration is to have personal goals for your artwork.
What are you trying to accomplish? What makes an image great to you?

Is it lighting, texture, color, perspective, or costume design etc??

1.Pick one and devote 20 minutes or more to it a week. I guarantee you will see at least a 20-40% increase in satisfaction with your art. Become a student of the obvious.

Using texture as an example: Do an image search on leather pants. Then do an image search on spandex pants. Notice how light hits them and reflects off them differently.

2.Use photo reference. Tired of skimming through the same images everyone else has on google?
Pop a DVD in your computer. Most media players give you the option of right-clicking and taking a snapshot of a DVD image and saving it to your hard drive. You can get rare poses for action and backgrounds by doing this.

3.Collect images that inspire you. Comic covers, movie posters, Maxim photos, DVD covers etc?

4. Most importantly, you must have patience, grasshopper!
Take a look at your favorite artists, (from Alex Ross to Jim Lee ) and look at their earliest published work in the early 1970?s, 1980?s and early 1990?s. You will notice one thing in common is a refinement of skill over a long period of time. We sometimes forget they did not just drop out of the sky drawing or painting like that.

Posted on: 31 03 08 07:29 am

Hero to the stars
I want to thank everyone for the encouragement and the pep talks and also the tips. Don't worry about me, I will not give up on digital art. I plan on exploring photoshop more and trying new things. I will try to remember to write down what works and what doesn't so I can repeat the good and eliminate the bad.

As to my health problems, I am being tested again to see if the doctors can figure out what is causing my problems. Hopefully they can find out what it is and fix it.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words. By the way, I do enjoy doing the digital art and do it just for the fun of it. I don't ever expect to be as good as most of you or get paid for doing the art but I still enjoy it all the same.

Posted on: 1 04 08 09:50 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.