Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
77 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

To Sign or Not To Sign
superhero
From Lynnfield, MA USA
Level : 13; EXP : 25
HP : 0 / 306
MP : 67 / 18390
hey Morphites,

how's it going? I gather we've all been to a convention or two where
a celebrity shmoozes and hawks their latest project. usually, they
take a picture and sign an autograph or two. of course, there aret
those who don't sign autographs for whatever reason. (Wil Shatner
and Leonard Nimoy come to mind) so, I'm curious as to who do you know
of that do not sign autographs? this way, any future event I go to
and I see that celebrity, I'll know not to ask. comments?

Posted on: 14 11 08 06:19 pm
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: To Sign or Not To Sign
Facebook Ninja (Moderator)
Level : 28; EXP : 74
HP : 0 / 693
MP : 355 / 39264
The only celeb I got a sig from is now dead. He played the Doctor on Babylon 5.

Posted on: 14 11 08 07:17 pm
User under suspension until -292277022607/7/10 19:31

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34865
I thought this was all about signing the stuff we put on Heromorph... so that's what I'll write about.
I stopped signing when I realised when people stole or ripped off my work they would remove my signature anyway.
Also it sometimes distracted from the manip.
I used to hide the bunny, but now that Sam & Max is active again it doesn't feel right for me to use that character... and I can't be bothered creating an original character (or deciding which nickname to stick with).

And apart from all that, I don't think most viewers care who made the image while they're jerking off... viewers at Heromorph might, but they can see my name and stats under the image.

Posted on: 14 11 08 11:48 pm

Herald
From halfway between limbo and purgatory
Level : 29; EXP : 95
HP : 0 / 723
MP : 392 / 43677
one word for you there chilly.... "watermarks"

or do what I do.. I usually work my initials into a piece somewhere... everytime.

Posted on: 15 11 08 04:37 pm

Criminal Mastermind
From St. Petersburg, FL
Level : 35; EXP : 5
HP : 0 / 851
MP : 581 / 47980
Well, I've never paid for any autographs that I've gotten from the few celebs that I have gotten sigs from and I never will. Unless they're willing to sign for free, I don't need their autograph. That said, the only person I ever wanted a sig from that I was told doesn't do it was Hideki Matsui of the NY Yankees, but that wasn't from the guy personally, I was told that from a guy who knows a guy who could've gotten me just about any sig from just about any Yankee for free. Turns out I didn't get any of them, but whatever, I'm cool with it.

Posted on: 17 11 08 08:24 pm

Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
Level : 36; EXP : 96
HP : 0 / 899
MP : 667 / 51638
I think it depends on the circumstances. For example, I have William Shatner's and Leonard Nimoy's autographs, they were both very genial and I just asked politely. It probably helped that there wasn't a mob on either occasion.

The problem I have isn't the ones that won't sign, but rather the ones who charge for signatures. Now I realize that many of the "celebrities" who come to events such as sci-fi conventions come for expenses, and charging is the only way they make money, but it makes them cheap in my mind. I mean, many of these folks (like the aforementioned doctor from B5 who we can pick on since he's dead) owed their success in small part to we fans who supported their shows. To then be told you have to pay $20 for a signature is kind of an insult.

The biggest jerk I ever ran into was the actor who played Frank Poole in 2001. Except for also being in an early Star Trek episode, what's his big claim to fame? Yet he fefused to sign for me at Comic Con a few years ago. Was a real snot about it too "You got $20 bucks?". Richard Hatch (Apollo) was nearby and he gladly signed my autograph book and chatted with me about 10 minutes. Takes all kinds, I guess.

Posted on: 18 11 08 09:15 am

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81961
Any start you ask for an autograph should bend over backwards to give it to you. If it wasn't for fans celebs would be out of work hacks. Man, I wish I had a job where you got numourous takes to get a scene/job done right. I think all stars, movie or sports or pooh scoopers should not even think twice about sigs. With that said.... the biggest dick I have run into was Chevy Chase... and boy, did we get a long great. After shooting pool with him for about a month I asked for a photo and autograph. He, by this time, had warmed up to me and gladly did it. But the guys that asked for his after mine he wrote "To So-n-So. Go Fu@k yourself." And didn't sign it. I laughed my ass off until he told me to shut up and read mine. Mine said "John, if you are here in Aspen then who is back in Texas fu@king the chickens? Chevy Chase" Ahhhh... Aspen. But yeah, he was a real dick. So was Kevin Costner. Of course people were asking for their autograph while they were on Vacation... but still. Spielberg and Kate Kapsaw (sp?) invited me to sit at their table (while wrapping up dinner) when I asked for theirs... they were awesome!

So, if you ask a celeb for their autograph and they say no. Do not hesitate to tell "You know what... without fans you would be on the streets cleaning car windshield and holding up a sign that says 'I can't find a job because i have no real world skill' or 'will suck dick for money' because, you know what... You are a cock smoker and why don't you go fu@k yourself". It wont effect the star... but everyone in line will give you "oooos" and "Ahhhhs" for tell him off.

I hate movie stars.........

Posted on: 19 11 08 12:53 pm

Hellfire Club Member
Level : 25; EXP : 88
HP : 0 / 622
MP : 277 / 32651
You couldn't get me to ask Chevy Chase the time of day, nor could I give a rip about celebrities or stars as a whole. The only autographs that interest me are books signed by authors.

Posted on: 19 11 08 05:38 pm

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34865
Actors in sci-fi shows have to consider the Star Trek/Galaxy Quest problem: the show might be cancelled before they get a big payday, but they might become so well known they can't get a role in any other show (original Star Trek is an example of this - anytime one of them was a guest star in another show there was always a Star Trek reference).
It's understood that thye might have to make a living selling autographs.

I don't blame them, I don't usually pay, but if I like them I will. The autograph means nothing, talking to them is the fun thing.

But you're not paying for the autograph, you're paying for every thick-as-shit real life Comic Book Guy (a lot of them are fat with beards too - way to break the stereotype guys). With their stupid questions and lack of social experience and belief that the actor is obsessed with the show just like them.
Not to mention all the little kids who can't tell the difference between an actor and a TV character.

As a recipient of the same stupid questions 50 times a day in my own professions, I sympathise with them.

Posted on: 20 11 08 12:01 am

deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58593
I can't think of what I would do with an autograph if I ever thought to ask for one and got it. I have no idea what the appeal would be to get one... unless it was on a check. I do however think that there is no reason why they should have to be any different than anyone else: Charge for 'em if people are willing to pay, give them away if they want, or not to have to waste their time on such a ridiculous activity.

As far as talking to them... acting is one of the most idiotic jobs I can imagine and athletes get paid to play some game. It can all be entertaining, but hardly seems worth spending any of my time on talking to them about.

Posted on: 22 11 08 06:12 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.