Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Disney BUYS Marvel for $4 Billion.
sidekick
Level : 6; EXP : 69
HP : 0 / 142
MP : 20 / 6583
What do you think this is going to mean??

Posted on: 31 08 09 10:50 am

Re: Disney BUYS Marvel for $4 Billion.
Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 85108
I think Captian America's sheild , the star will be replaced with Mouse ears.

Posted on: 31 08 09 10:53 am

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.
Create PDF from Post Print

Wizard of Lasagna (Mod)
From From the Other Side of the Ocean
Level : 45; EXP : 33
HP : 221 / 1108
MP : 1153 / 54820
We will soon see crossovers like Spiderman Vs Mickey Mouse, Wolverine vs Donald Duck, and so on.

Seriously, I don't know what to think... Will the Marvel movies start to be with a Disney flavour?
Just imagine the Avengers with a Snow White feeling...

Posted on: 31 08 09 11:33 am

Criminal Mastermind
From St. Petersburg, FL
Level : 35; EXP : 5
HP : 0 / 851
MP : 581 / 48008
Well, it's kind of logical if you think about it considering that WB owns DC and WB is Disney's biggest competitor as much as DC is Marvel's biggest competitor. Also, someone mentioned in the other thread about possible Disney/Marvel character Amalgams just like WB has done with Looney Toons/DC character amalgams in the past. It's all about the merchandising!

Posted on: 31 08 09 01:48 pm

Off the hook
From Cleveland
Level : 34; EXP : 91
HP : 0 / 847
MP : 575 / 50817
A couple of things I've seen mentioned on this subject.

-Look at the Disney/Pixar acquisition. Disney has been great about leaving Pixar alone to do their thing, hopefully they'll take the same approach with Marvel. Speaking of which, since they're all in the same house now, we could see Marvel animated projects from Pixar, which could be ridiculously cool.

-For my fellow gamers out there, just imagine where they can take the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Wolverine fighting Sephiroth?? Hells yeah!

Posted on: 31 08 09 03:12 pm

Gold Member
From Indiana, yeah, Indiana, stop laughing
Level : 32; EXP : 80
HP : 0 / 795
MP : 491 / 35938
Darth_Paul said:

Quote:
It's all about the merchandising!

Merchandising...where the Real money from the film is made.

Exactly. I think it'll be okay. An occasional X-men spoof with Donald and Mickey, just like Daffy when he got lantern's suit from the dry cleaners by mistake.

But I doubt it'll spill over into polluting the timeline of the mainstream comics.

Ha....merchandising...Mel Brooks...Genius.

Posted on: 31 08 09 05:20 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81995
Quote:

Daruma wrote:
-For my fellow gamers out there, just imagine where they can take the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Wolverine fighting Sephiroth?? Hells yeah!

NERD. That would be no contest! Wolverine would whoop his butt!

I was reading some Left wing crap that a friend sent me and while on this unknown "New Source" I found this. Kind of entertaining.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-kall/will-spiderman-become-a-t_b_273048.html

Posted on: 1 09 09 07:49 am

From Canada
we had three threads on the topic and we locked two of them. here are the posts.

From the thread Disney buys marvel:
Quote:

ReddEra wrote:
ok I'm shocked and scared! I can't believe this...except it's from a trust worthy source here's what he said...

Quote:
So Disney acquires MARVEL for $4 billion... well personally I think this is an awesome turn of events. I just had a discussion with a friend about this and they disagreed. He believes Disney will turn MARVEL into a for kids only thing. That Disney will force MARVEL's people to remove the gore and violence and generally take away the edginess of it's comics. He even thinks all the artists and employees of MARVEL will be replaced by Disney workers(which I just said was stupid). And he thinks that the Disney label will scare people away. Well I think he is wrong. I'm not going to into why I think he is wrong but I told you what he told me so you can decide if he is right or not. Alright I'll give a brief summation of what I argued to him. Disney owns PIXAR. People still drink Budweiser and when the AFL merged with the NFL football became America's game. Also Disney isn't stupid, their point is to make money and if MARVEL is making money(which is does better than DC) it's not going to start changing things. Instead they will probably throw more money at MARVEL to encourage growth, development and creativity. We argued about this for awhile but my point is I'm all for Disney acquiring MARVEL. And don't forget how Warner Brothers got DC. How did that turn out?

I don't know if I agree with him, but there are things I'm willing to see change in MARVEL.
So I guess we'll see what happens.

from the thread Marvel Hits new lows
Quote:

co_04 wrote:
It now appears that Disney is in the process of buying Marvel Entertainment for 4 billion.

Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:
This is great. now marvel comics will all have happy endings and the villians will learn valuble lessons and change their ways at the end of each issue.

Quote:

co_04 wrote:
As Mr. Droid has stated, look for the Mickey Wolverine amalgam.

Quote:

Biohaz_Daddy wrote:
Quote:

co_04 wrote:
It now appears that Disney is in the process of buying Marvel Entertainment for 4 billion.

For somebody who is interested in self publishing this could be great news. For fan boys... well... you really should stop that.

Quote:

co_04 wrote:
It's still not a done deal. There are anti-trust entanglements to avoid, etc. But even if and when Disney makes the acquisition it may not change business policy at Marvel...

$4 billion for 5,000 characters. Not bad.

Quote:

pijon wrote:
Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:
This is great. now marvel comics will all have happy endings and the villians will learn valuble lessons and change their ways at the end of each issue.

Pardon me, Mr. Contrary here once again ...
Do you mean happy endings and valuable lessons like in Miramax Films (another Disney owned company)such as Pulp Fiction, The Crow, Kill Bill and No Country for Old Men among countless others

For me, the verdict is still out on this one. Marvel has ALREADY been pretty badly managed as a business for nearly 3 decades and still managed to churn out good product on occasion and do reasonably well as a biz. I think it's a smart move by Disney considering how well superhero films seem to be doing. It is my hope that the possibility does exist that conditions could conceivably improve for writers, artists and consumers though by no means is it a given. Let's all say a prayer to the big mouse in the sky hoping this is an improvement.

So there

Posted on: 1 09 09 12:28 pm

From Canada
Quote:

Daruma wrote:

The kingdom hearts series so far has been awesome. It would be extremely cool if they have marvel characters in one of them.

Posted on: 1 09 09 02:05 pm

Arch Nemesis
Level : 32; EXP : 56
HP : 0 / 789
MP : 482 / 47295
I intend to use all of the potential character options. I am currently working on a manip of Daisy Duck in red spandex tights. (model is a local female Mallard, over 18, webprint on file).

Posted on: 1 09 09 08:07 pm

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71418
Quote:

MissVee wrote:
I intend to use all of the potential character options. I am currently working on a manip of Daisy Duck in red spandex tights. (model is a local female Mallard, over 18, webprint on file).

You've just made Howard a very happy duck! Baby got quack!

Posted on: 2 09 09 12:31 am

Gold Member
From Villainous hideout
Level : 22; EXP : 45
HP : 0 / 536
MP : 200 / 23682
I think it means Miley Cyrus WILL be the next Wonder Woman

'Cos DC's next... muuuhahahahaha

Posted on: 2 09 09 05:26 am

From Canada
Quote:

finister wrote:
I think it means Miley Cyrus WILL be the next Wonder Woman

'Cos DC's next... muuuhahahahaha

Posted on: 2 09 09 09:57 am

sidekick
Level : 6; EXP : 69
HP : 0 / 142
MP : 20 / 6583
Another websource says its more like 7000! characters.
What will this mean for sites like this who do FanWork of these characters?

Disney sued a preschool for having characters painted on the walls.

Other things to considered (gleaned from other sites):

Disney now has the rights to Marvel/Miracleman.

There are a boatload of characters from the Malibu/Ultraverse line. (The creators have certain rights and that may have been one reason Marvel stopped publishing those characters as they have to PAY those guys!)

The Crossgen material.

What will all of this mean if the deal is finalized and goes through?

Posted on: 2 09 09 01:54 pm

Gold Member
From Dallas
Level : 7; EXP : 46
HP : 0 / 161
MP : 24 / 7545
I don't think it's going to make that big a difference to the comic part of Marvel. The movies may be a different matter, but the movies are what made Disney buy them and they're making money. And that's the name of the game.

Although, it's not like Disney could do a worse hatchet job on the comics to movies. Marvel does perfectly fine all on their own. I'll give credit to Iron Man and Incredible Hulk, but be serious... the X-Men movies are a far cry from what they should have been. I first started reading X-Men just before the Phoenix saga when Byrne/Claremont created what are legendary stories now. I was so excited when I heard someone was finally making an X-Men movie.... what a disappointment. I would never have imagined Cyclops as such a big pussy. They all got their asses handed to them.

But, I do own most if not all the Marvel movies and I still watch the X-Men movies, Daredevil, both Hulk movies, Elektra, both FF movies, both Punisher movies and Iron Man, which is probably my favorite. So, out all of those, how many were close to the original stories?

Back to the original topic, will Disney screw up Marvel? I don't think so. Disney has deep pockets and willing to take chances.

---- stepping off soap box now.

Next?

--edit
I'm going to correct myself now. Spider-Man was very close to the origin story and definitely my favorite.

One of the things I wanted to mention before was the Wolverine debacle. One of the main reasons Wolverine became one of Marvel's most popular characters was the violence and bloodiness. The movies made a mess of that. They all should have had an R rating but the target audience was young teenagers that couldn't get into R rated movies so they really mellowed him out. That goes back to the whole money issue. Marvel movies make money. Disney won't change that.

---putting soap box away far away.

Posted on: 2 09 09 02:27 pm

Off the hook
From Cleveland
Quote:
one of the more interesting news bits to come out of the merger appeared in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly where it stated:

"Pixar is said to already be eyeballing an Ant-Man movie."

Anyone reading the statement in Entertainment Weekly might immediately assume it means Pixar would do a CG-animated version of the Marvel second-stringer in a similar manner as their hit The Incredibles, but that might not be the case at all. Currently, Pixar Studios is in pre-production on a live action movie based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars, so the idea of Pixar "eyeballing" the already-scripted project could mean they might actively try to finance and produce a live action movie, taking the reins and burden off of Marvel Studios.

Well now, that could be interesting...though really, if they're gonna make an Ant Man movie anyway, it would be kind of cool to work him in to the Avengers lineup. But either way, if Pixar makes an Ant Man movie, I'd probably go see it.

Posted on: 8 09 09 07:30 am

deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58617
Quote:

Daruma wrote:
Quote:
one of the more interesting news bits to come out of the merger appeared in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly where it stated:

"Pixar is said to already be eyeballing an Ant-Man movie."

Anyone reading the statement in Entertainment Weekly might immediately assume it means Pixar would do a CG-animated version of the Marvel second-stringer in a similar manner as their hit The Incredibles, but that might not be the case at all. Currently, Pixar Studios is in pre-production on a live action movie based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars, so the idea of Pixar "eyeballing" the already-scripted project could mean they might actively try to finance and produce a live action movie, taking the reins and burden off of Marvel Studios.

Well now, that could be interesting...though really, if they're gonna make an Ant Man movie anyway, it would be kind of cool to work him in to the Avengers lineup. But either way, if Pixar makes an Ant Man movie, I'd probably go see it.

The most interesting news to come out of this thread by far is that Pixar is doing the John Carter of Mars movie. That will be so effing cool!

Posted on: 8 09 09 07:43 am

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81995
Whoaaa!!!! Disney bought Marvel?

Posted on: 8 09 09 10:10 am

From Canada
Quote:

JrMcDeath wrote:
Whoaaa!!!! Disney bought Marvel?

You knew that. You even commented before in this very thread

Posted on: 8 09 09 10:15 am

Off the hook
From Cleveland

Posted on: 8 09 09 01:51 pm

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.