Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Hello! Is anybody Home?
Shaper of Worlds
From Matteson, Il
Level : 47; EXP : 34
HP : 231 / 1158
MP : 1303 / 67649
Now i know everybody has personal lives and busy schedules, but I must admit that I'm a little disappointed on the very lackluster upkeep/updating of my beloved Heromorph.com. I suppose as being one of the original old school members I've grown accustomed to weekly updates to the site...new challenges, contests, top ten images etc.. but lately I haven't seen much of that. heck, the top ten images is from May for Pete's sake. I suppose I shouldn't complain given that I happen to have an image posted there..but even I'm getting tired of seeing it there every week! Now don't take this personal, this is not a knock on any one individual here...but I've seen some of my previous other sites go the route of forgetting about the fans/members and eventually fade from existence [though i doubt that will ever happen here] and I do think you guys do a great job {something i would never have the time or knowledge to do myself. eventhough I have thought about it}. So to sum it up..let's get back to work!

Posted on: 30 06 12 11:58 pm

Re: Hello! Is anybody Home?
Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81711
One thing to cover is that the top ten is done by OCP, since I have had to step aside because of my crazy schedule... and I believe OCP has gotten very busy as well. So, it is a little difficult to get that done when one can't take care of their personal life(I speak for myself, not OCP) And the top ten is not a 5 minute update. And this is NOT a stab at anyone, but we really haven't have 9 REALLY good images to post every week. So, until we start getting more action from the members, it is hard for the admin to really do much. The last few challenges, that we have had, had little to no participation. I have tried to even get some activity in the forums but it seems that the only people that participate there are us old schoolers.
We need EVERYONE to participate so that it makes the admin's job easier. I am all for new challenges, contests, top tens, but without participation these things just don't happen.
Now, quit reading this and make art!

Posted on: 2 07 12 07:41 am

Herald
From halfway between limbo and purgatory
Level : 29; EXP : 95
HP : 0 / 723
MP : 392 / 43550
I admit, I've been around, just not as much as usual. I've picked up quite a few airbrush projects as of late and I've been in a bit of an artists slump. Most likely the airbrushing has been sucking up all my artistic talent because nothing I try to throw down on paper will work out lol

Posted on: 2 07 12 10:42 am

Wizard of Lasagna (Mod)
From From the Other Side of the Ocean
Level : 45; EXP : 33
HP : 221 / 1108
MP : 1153 / 54599
Yeah, Jr already said it. Lately the Top Images were done bi-weekly mostly because lack of enough decent images, sometimes even every 2 weeks almost couldn't find 9 top worthy images.
So with that reason, along with my busy life, unless more members start posting more often and by that, I mean more decent images from more people not more images from the same person because let's face it, a Top Images with 3 or more images from the same dude is not our idea when we started it, the Top Images will be done monthly.
So that you have an idea, I just browse the galleries from June and in the HFC, 3 images posted, Adult 2 images posted and regular gallery in 3 1/2 pages, I covered the all month. And from all that images, most of them were from the same members.

I'll tell you what, we already tried this before but I'm willing to try again: If someone want to pick 9 images top worthy every week (try not to pick more than one from the same member), send me a PM with your picks of the week and I'll make a Top Images every week. Send me your PMs until every Monday night and every Tuesday there will be a Top Images.

About the challenges, it's like Jr said, we have done it, few people participate.

Basically, this is supposed to be a comunity and that's a two way thing: we are inspired by the members and we hope to inspire others but if there is low participation on one side...

Just look at the comments/replies to images and forum threads, almost only a few still do it.
I'm guilty of that too, I rarely comment this days due to lack of time...

Posted on: 2 07 12 11:39 am
Create PDF from Post Print

superhero
From Calgary, AB
Level : 13; EXP : 88
HP : 0 / 322
MP : 73 / 17838
I'll post a lot more work soon, I just finished the first issue of an online comic I intend to do, but none of it is ready yet, still lots of post production.

I'll post more about it soon enough. sorry i'm so vague..

Posted on: 2 07 12 05:55 pm

The Metal Shinigami (Moderator)
From Kentucky
Level : 52; EXP : 13
HP : 255 / 1278
MP : 1716 / 72122
I will admit I have slacked off on creating monthly contest. As Life came full force in the form of baby number 3 due at the endof this month, a job that has me working 8-10 hours aday, traveling 45 minutes one way. I will do good to set down at the computer for 5 minutes if I am lucky. Even now I am on my way out the door to the Doctor....

Posted on: 3 07 12 05:20 am

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34752
Thinking back about Heromorph, when it started it was basically an image gallery, with a comics theme, where people posted images that weren?t theirs. People visited because the Internet was much smaller and it was a good place to find images.
Then some rules were put in place that you had to make what you posted. This is when things got good. The forums were pretty free too, and we had some great loonies in there. People visited Heromorph then because it was the best site around, especially for superheroine manips. To me, those days were great fun.
Sometime after that, 3D software became popular and Heromorph skewed heavily towards 3D. The forums were also moderated so that anyone crazy was quickly banned (good, but less entertaining).
The 3D craze has ended and all the great artists have moved on or stopped creating. Meanwhile the most popular type of website has become a ?facebook style?, where everyone has their own page and the website feeds them stuff they like. Heromorph is simply not big or expensive enough to do that sort of thing.

And there seem to be fewer people starting out who want to learn to make good images. I think people got tired of looking at 3D images when too many ?artists? were just assembling models, props, poses and costumes. A couple of extra hours to add shadows, details and fix up rough edges makes all the difference, yet few bother.
One person wrote to me a while ago and asked me to teach him how to paint symbiote images (his fetish). The idiot didn?t understand that you learn to paint as a general skill, you don?t learn how to paint just one thing. He wasn?t interested in learning to paint, that would take time and investment on his part.
Another guy wrote to me here asking for help. He seemed to think I cut out the costume from pre-existing images and then searched for a model that would fit the pose. Again he doesn?t want to put the time in to learn anything, he just wants to make pictures that suit his fetish quickly, and then get praise for it.

I don?t think HM is going to get more participation or quality of the kind everyone wants. That time has gone. There are too many bigger and better sites for HM to be a big player anymore.
There could still be a place for HM. The galleries could be re-arranged so all the low quality stuff is dumped and all the good stuff that has been here for years is show-cased. New images would only be allowed when they are high quality.Right now HM is arranged so all the old good stuff is hidden ?at the back?.
Another thing is HM could become a teaching website. People with skills could give a mix of paid and free lessons to those wanting to learn (but I?m not sure there would be enough interest for this).
Whatever happens HM needs a new focus, or it will eventually just end. Something a website of this size and capacity can cope with. Trying to be what it was is clearly not working.

Posted on: 7 07 12 09:16 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81711
Thanks Chilly... I think my brain popped.

Posted on: 12 07 12 06:40 pm

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71132
I hear ya, Jr...
I think my brain popped too when Chilly first stated "there seem to be fewer people starting out who want to learn to make good images" and then suggested a teaching site as the successful future path of HM. Huh? The idea of shoveling new stuff off to some back gallery while promoting old stuff also seems somewhat less than logical for encouraging new members to join.
Look, it's not rocket science: If you want this type of site to succeed, then you have to develop the community (again). That doesn't happen by pining for those halcyon days of yore. It happens by engaging the membership. I've talked to at least a handful of good artists who came here and left and it's not because of a lack of extra-fancy bells and whistles. They left because they don't get feedback. Case in point: another site I still post to (though probably not for long) who revamped their site by adding many cool new features figuring community would just take care of itself. It hasn't and they've lost most of the big talent and a lot of the rest. These days, if I get 10 hits and one comment there (and I generally don't), I'm doing better than most. If you want good artists to stay, comment on their work! The lack of comments in the gallery is what is killing the community. Hell, it kills me to see members here in the forums spending an inordinate amount of time bitching about how substandard artists don't deserve equal rights when that time could much more easily and effectively be spent supporting the good art and artists with comments. I'm already doing this but one man does not a community build. I think if we encourage a "give comments to get comments" attitude among members over time, the ball would start rolling well enough to take on a life of it's own. I know from being here for a while that during more popular times here, there seemed to be a lot more gallery comments. I hate to put the mods on the spot and ask this of them (though it would help immensely) as I'm grateful for all they do now and really, it's all of our responsibility if we want things to improve here. So if you see something you like, let the contributor know and hopefully you won't wear yourself out typing something as simple as "nice".

Posted on: 19 07 12 09:10 pm

Your Reality Credit Card
I never said to put the new stuff at the back, Heromorph has some awesome images that newcomers to the site will never see (unless they go through every single image). I used to do a 'classic top 10' of the week that was well received, but there wasn?t enough work for me as an admin and nobody kept it up.

None of the new stuff compares to those classic images and seeing them up front might encourage new members. Good artists would want to be seen here and viewers would know there is stuff worth sticking around for.

?If you want good artists to stay, comment on their work!? Who are you talking to? The behaviour of web-surfing now is not the same as it was. Viewers have no loyalty to any particular site. If you want an image, Google it. Get your image then back to Google. An artist leaves a site, so what? Google checks everywhere. A viewer might go straight to the image and not even know they came to Heromorph.
The flip side to that comment is maybe everyone is already following your advice.

I don?t think comments make much of a difference. ?Nice? doesn?t mean anything to me. I don?t like to get comments (I like hits, 1000 in a day means more to me than any comments) and I don?t give comments (for my own reasons).

?...you have to develop the community? It?s all well and good to say that, but how? Commenting for the sake of it has been tried here before and obviously hasn?t worked. Other websites are hundreds of times bigger than Heromorph, if people want to get in touch with each other they will do it elsewhere. To develop a community under these conditions Heromorph has to offer something different.

Posted on: 20 07 12 02:01 am

From United States
Chillyplasma said:
Quote:

I never said to put the new stuff at the back, Heromorph has some awesome images that newcomers to the site will never see (unless they go through every single image). I used to do a 'classic top 10' of the week that was well received, but there wasn?t enough work for me as an admin and nobody kept it up.

My apologies for my misunderstanding. You used to put together the 'classic top 10' ?! Very cool! I used to love those! I must agree there are some incredible gems tucked away in the archives and I also would love to see that feature brought back however you don't seem to need any help from me explaining why giving it a prominent place wouldn't help save Heromorph:
Chilly said:
Quote:

The behaviour of web-surfing now is not the same as it was. Viewers have no loyalty to any particular site. If you want an image, Google it....

Okay, back to the communication thing:
Chilly said:
Quote:

?If you want good artists to stay, comment on their work!? Who are you talking to?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough when I said "I hate to put the mods on the spot and ask this of them (though it would help immensely) as I'm grateful for all they do now and really, it's all of our responsibility..." Sorry if "all" wasn't clear enough but I meant mods and members, everybody who can."
Chilly said:
Quote:

The behaviour of web-surfing now is not the same as it was. Viewers have no loyalty to any particular site. If you want an image, Google it. Get your image then back to Google. An artist leaves a site, so what? Google checks everywhere. A viewer might go straight to the image and not even know they came to Heromorph.

Viewers in general are not what we are discussing right now. We are discussing members in general and good artists in particular. If you get the artists, you get the viewers. Am I wrong in thinking that you implied good art will attract viewers?

Chilly said:
Quote:

?Nice? doesn?t mean anything to me.

Sorry, trying to end on punchy note, I wasn't very clear. As a comment, "nice" is indeed pretty useless as a critique however the larger point is that you are (potentially) opening the doorway to communication which leads to community as well as the positive reinforcement aspect. I would be curious as to whether or not you first met your friends here through comments or through another method.
Chilly said:
Quote:

I don?t like to get comments (I like hits, 1000 in a day means more to me than any comments) and I don?t give comments (for my own reasons).

That's cool. My apologies for leaving you comments. If I'd known you don't like them, I wouldn't have left them. I'll try to avoid that mistake in the future. As to numbers, I certainly understand you using that as a measure of validation as I do that to a degree myself. For me though, I find that many factors can affect hits which have nothing to do with the quality of the work. As an example, at Renderosity, "mature content" goes in the regular gallery but with a special mature content warning thumbnail that reveals nothing of the image. I ALWAYS get twice as many hits on those even though the thumbnail reveals nothing. Sex and violence may get bigger numbers yet more is often revealed by comments than numbers to me. Comments have on occasion led me to tutorials, tools and artistic influences as well as provide good ideas and steer me in the right direction and point out things which might have otherwise been overlooked. Numbers have never done that for me.
Chilly said:
Quote:

Commenting for the sake of it has been tried here before and obviously hasn?t worked.

The last time I saw a bunch of the mods commenting (a few years ago), it led to a lot more of the membership commenting and there were a lot more good artists (by my opinion) posting at that time as well. I come here fairly often and have for quite a while. I haven't seen it in a while and I've seen a lot of good artists leave. The effect doesn't linger for 3 years without a little pitching in from time to time. I'm not talking about Jr. leaving 8 comment in one week and then nothing (though the comments were a good thing IMO), I'm talking about a concerted effort occurring over months. Please bear in mind I'm not asking this of you or anyone else who has their reasons not to. I respect your reasons completely.

Chilly said:
Quote:

I don?t think comments make much of a difference.

YOU don't think comments make much of a difference. That's cool but that's just you. Actually, a lot of your points appear to me to be very speculative, based on your own feelings projected onto most others and I for one, don't agree with a lot of them, so I would question their soundness without proof beyond your feelings.
Here are a few reason I think comments are important, NOT based on how I feel people feel:
1. I talked to artists who told me they left here because of lack of feedback.
2. Heromorph had more comments during it's peak times
3. Every art site I've ever been a part of appears to have direct correlation between comments and popularity, that includes a few I've seen dry up and blow away when comments dropped enough.
4. deviantArt is THE most popular site because it has such an advanced comment system to better allow the building of community.

Posted on: 20 07 12 05:36 pm

Your Reality Credit Card
?If you want good artists to stay, comment on their work!? Who are you talking to?

Okay, I have to spell this out. Getting the mods and current contributing members to comment is not the problem, they already do things. You need the lurker-members and casual viewers to join in if you want more comments. But these are the type of people who are not sticking around to read the forums (or even the blurbs under the images) and, quite frankly, don?t care. Heromorph is just another image repository to them, if you want people to take time to comment (or take part in any other way) Heromorph needs to be something different.

The other thing I didn?t want to say outright is that perhaps people are already taking your advice ?If you want good artists to stay, comment on their work!? If images aren?t getting comments then the artists aren?t good. The silence is deafening, so to speak.

Comments aren?t always a good thing. To satisfy your curiosity I first found Heromorph (as Coldblood) when someone (I believe it was Dragondack) was posting my images and taking credit. That was fixed, I left and came back about a year later (as Furious Max) and spent a lot of time arguing that Heromorph should only allow artists to post their own work. I don?t think I?ve ever really had friends here, I am too much trouble.

Looking back through old images here some great artists got masses more comments than I did. Yet they stopped painting and I did not. So clearly more comments does not equal an artist sticking around.

You then mention the correlation of popularity and comments. But correlation is not causation. I would suggest the relationship is the opposite. Deviantart is NOT popular because it gets more comments, Deviantart gets more comments because it IS popular.
Same thing with Heromorph, the popularity drives the comments.

Quibbling over comments is not the point I was making. If you have a plan to get more comments then go ahead with it. If it works, great.
My point is that the web is a different place now. In 2012 Heromorph is no longer special and will continue to be dwarfed by bigger and better sites until one day it isn?t here anymore. Places that don?t adapt, fail. Heromorph could find new relevance by changing (morphing?) into something different, something you can?t find elsewhere.

Posted on: 20 07 12 10:18 pm

From United States
OK, Chilly...
While I want to stand my ground on my point about comments, I don't want it belabored either and I agree that it is rapidly becoming so. Still, I don't want my words or points confused either.
Chilly said:
Quote:
Deviantart is NOT popular because it gets more comments, Deviantart gets more comments because it IS popular.

It is not my point nor what I said that you have responded to. I was talking about Deviantart's SYSTEM (not the comments themselves)... how it handles comments in a way to increase community... that's what makes them so popular. I was attempting to draw the direct correlation between comments/community and popularity. Do you have any alternative explanation as to how they got to be the most popular? I'd also like to add that I was recruited there by several former members of Art Zone, which was turning into a ghost town (now dead) as a direct result of exactly the sort of things Star mentioned in his original post (this is me trying to get back on topic ). Allow me to back up this opinion by example: Those 6 people who recruited me... all of them told me this is why they left and all 6 of them extolled the virtues of how deviantArt set up comments and groups... you know, communal stuff.
I am willing to concede that comments and popularity are interrelated, each dependent upon one another, not a one way direction from one to the other, so we're sort of both right.
Do I have a plan? Ummm... not really. Merely to bring it up and hope members read this and the idea catches on as well as me leading by example. Look, I brought up the comments suggestion because it seemed to me like the easiest fix (though by no means a complete one). BTW, I do feel that comments are only one piece of the bigger vital ingredient: community. I think all of those things Star mentioned are also part of that equation. If you build community, you can build loyalty. Again, this is not merely something I feel but something I've observed and something I know a lot of artists feel because I've actually talked with them. (Of course, I realize it's futile to convince a dedicated loner like you, Chilly of the value of community; I'm talking to everyone here on this point).
As to your ideas, Chilly... I actually think they are good and sound ideas. I'd like to see them as features but the idea of shifting HM's entire focus presents a large risk of alienating the members you do have and does nothing to guarantee new folks would come.
Again, getting back to Star's original post... I was very disheartened and troubled by the moderator responses which were in large part, "well, I'm busy, the art's not good and nobody participates." That makes me think "man the lifeboats, this ship's going down!" I don't think the ship's going to right itself without some help from the mods (and a game plan would be nice too). I certainly understand how the mods can easily become to busy with their schedules but perhaps if they need help, asking for it would be a consideration. I feel HM's been very good to me and I really want to see it stay alive and healthy. I am willing to step up and help out, even become a mod to help with the workload if necessary (although unlike Star, I am less eager to knock my own piece out of the monthly top images ).

Posted on: 22 07 12 06:29 pm

Facebook Ninja (Moderator)
Level : 28; EXP : 74
HP : 0 / 693
MP : 355 / 39142
Truth be told, hits don't mean shit. Put tits on a picture and you get hits. Two women making out, hits. Show some ass, hits. I'm not going to argue whether or not it's art, but I will argue about quality interaction with people looking at your art. Finding out what they are taking away from it or why you chose to make an image the way you did. That is useful to me. I want useful insights on how to improve my work. Haven't gotten much feedback on HM. So I've done a bit more posting at DA. It broke my heart to make that decision. This was the first place I went to try things out and get help from veteran talents. Over time, things got more quiet. I keep working on building a Facebook following and try to bring them here. Anything to get people to be interested and have a conversation.
The internet is about interactivity. Having a dialog with your peers and sharing tips and tricks. I really haven't seen that in a long time. That's part of the reason I don't hang out as much. I used to get great feedback and ideas from folks. I used to be in the chat room everyday. Talking with folks with different interests but all sharing a common bond in making something they could be proud of.
Yeah, I work in 3D. I also do a lot of postwork. You can't do everything in a 3D rendering program. Also, it's good to get your hands dirty and learn a bit of manipulation to fix or highlight your images.
The site needs an overhaul to help make it relevant to the rest of the internet. Google can't crawl this site very well anymore, which is killing referral traffic opportunities. Starting at the ground floor and killing XOOPS would be a good start. Probably won't happen but it's a good recommendation.
That said, I still stop by and post. Comment in the forums and try to catch someone... anyone in the chat. I'd love to go back to the good old days. Those days are gone and we need a content infusion to jump start it again. That takes a group effort. Emphasis on group.

Posted on: 23 07 12 08:09 pm
User under suspension until -292277022607/7/10 19:31

Facebook Ninja (Moderator)
Level : 28; EXP : 74
HP : 0 / 693
MP : 355 / 39142
It's taken a while for folks to join in and post their point of view. Either I killed the conversation or I summed it up. I'd still like more people to chime in and talk about what they want from the site or what keeps them coming back.

Posted on: 25 07 12 11:18 am
User under suspension until -292277022607/7/10 19:31

From United States
First, good to see ya posting. If anything killed the topic, it was my long winded yammering so I'll try and keep it short this time. You nailed it! Well said.
I'm ready and willing to help.
How do we set up a game plan and make it happen?

Posted on: 25 07 12 07:10 pm

Shaper of Worlds
From Matteson, Il
Level : 47; EXP : 34
HP : 231 / 1158
MP : 1303 / 67649
WOW! did this topic take on a life of it's own and went a lot further than i expected it to. It was nice to see so many members chime in and offer suggestions. Unfortunately it seems like either everyone forget the main topic of this thread or really didn't think it as worth talking about. For those who commented I will again post it. Well at least the part I put the emphasis on...
Quote:

StarChild wrote:
Now i know everybody has personal lives and busy schedules, but I must admit that I'm a little disappointed on the very lackluster upkeep/updating of my beloved Heromorph.com. I suppose as being one of the original old school members I've grown accustomed to weekly updates to the site...new challenges, contests, top ten images etc.. but lately I haven't seen much of that. heck, the top ten images is from May for Pete's sake.

Okay? did everyone get that? This topic was never about comments or artist critiques. Its was about putting the fun back into the site. What ever happened to the Draw-Off? and the monthly challenges? "How to" Tutourials? Member art participation will never be an issue here...and no matter hard long we talk about it..if members don't want to comment on artwork then they won't. It would be different if we got members points for comments but we don't...so stop beating a dead horse!What drew [hey nice pun ] me to HM back in the days was the community atmosphere. members enteracted with each other. collaborated on work. challenged each other. chatted on a regular basis. etc..and didn't just post art and run. I suppose i should have interjected earlier since this was basically a personal gripe letter. sorry guys for causing so much unnecessary confusion.

Posted on: 27 07 12 03:46 am

Wizard of Lasagna (Mod)
From From the Other Side of the Ocean
Level : 45; EXP : 33
HP : 221 / 1108
MP : 1153 / 54599
Quote:

StarChild wrote:
WOW! did this topic take on a life of it's own and went a lot further than i expected it to. It was nice to see so many members chime in and offer suggestions. Unfortunately it seems like either everyone forget the main topic of this thread or really didn't think it as worth talking about. For those who commented I will again post it. Well at least the part I put the emphasis on...
Quote:

StarChild wrote:
Now i know everybody has personal lives and busy schedules, but I must admit that I'm a little disappointed on the very lackluster upkeep/updating of my beloved Heromorph.com. I suppose as being one of the original old school members I've grown accustomed to weekly updates to the site...new challenges, contests, top ten images etc.. but lately I haven't seen much of that. heck, the top ten images is from May for Pete's sake.

Okay? did everyone get that? This topic was never about comments or artist critiques. Its was about putting the fun back into the site. What ever happened to the Draw-Off? and the monthly challenges? "How to" Tutourials? Member art participation will never be an issue here...and no matter hard long we talk about it..if members don't want to comment on artwork then they won't. It would be different if we got members points for comments but we don't...so stop beating a dead horse!What drew [hey nice pun ] me to HM back in the days was the community atmosphere. members enteracted with each other. collaborated on work. challenged each other. chatted on a regular basis. etc..and didn't just post art and run. I suppose i should have interjected earlier since this was basically a personal gripe letter. sorry guys for causing so much unnecessary confusion.

Didn't ya know by now that threads tend to get a life of their own here?

But, to get things back on track and to point my answer to your first comment, I wrote:

Quote:
If someone want to pick 9 images top worthy every week (try not to pick more than one from the same member), send me a PM with your picks of the week and I'll make a Top Images every week. Send me your PMs until every Monday night and every Tuesday there will be a Top Images.

That's something I'm willing to do, even with my really busy real life.
So far regarding this subject, I got 0 PMs.

Posted on: 27 07 12 05:16 am

Criminal Mastermind
From St. Petersburg, FL
Level : 35; EXP : 5
HP : 0 / 851
MP : 581 / 47830
I think that the contests and such died shortly after the last Smack Down event was never completed. If I recall there were a few other contests after that, but not much participation. To me that's where the problems started with the people getting involved, and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, because I know that the admins tried, but when big fun annual participation events such as that don't get followed through to the end, with no rewards or anything for all the work put in for those who took part in it, of course you are going to start alienating people who are going to go ahead and not want to take part in anything else. Now, I admit that I haven't even entered any other community contests or events other than the Smack Downs. My reasons being either I don't really have the time or I just don't feel as if I'm skilled enough to get involved in something that I know that I can't win. However, things like the Smack Downs where everyone was making comic stories was something that I could do so I was happy to at least join in on that, whether I had a chance of winning or not. Now, all we seem to have to get people involved as a community are a few different forum games that I've gladly participated in, but frankly all I ever see is the same ten regulars playing along, and while they are a fun little diversion for a few minutes, those kinds of things aren't really going to attract new people or bring back old members who have left. As far as comparing this site to Renderosity or DeviantArt or similar sites and following their examples as to things that we can change to get more members and more participation, IMHO I would caution against drastically changing Heromorph into a clone of one of those sites especially DA since that would be a huge undertaking, and I really don't think that anyone would want to come here if it was just a copy of that site with their system of everyone having their own pages and groups and things like that. Maybe a small combo of elements of those site would work. As LP suggested, going more of a Renderosity route and having the "Adult" content as part of the regular galleries but with mandatory "content advisory" thumbnails hiding the sex and/or violence content unless you are a member who chooses to turn on or off the filter would work better, I believe that DA does something similar as well. As far as taking something from DA, well the only thing that I can suggest is their comment system as it works quite well, and comments go directly to your "inbox" so every time you log in you are notified, you don't have to check your personal e-mail or anything. The only thing that I don't like about their comment system is that you can't edit it once you've posted something, so if we could have something similar but allow editing for after we've posted that would be great. I know that they're working on a lot of site updates themselves over there so they might be working on fixing that as well, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I've probably taken this off on another needless tangent, so if I have forgive me as well, but opinions and suggestions were asked for and that's just my two cents.

Posted on: 27 07 12 07:22 am

From United States
Quote:

StarChild wrote:
WOW! did this topic take on a life of it's own and went a lot further than i expected it to. It was nice to see so many members chime in and offer suggestions. Unfortunately it seems like either everyone forget the main topic of this thread or really didn't think it as worth talking about.

Sorry Star for getting off topic. I had thought it tangentially related but I'll skip the lengthy dissertation on why.
This did indeed take on quite a life of it's own and hopefully there's still something to be learned by you too after reading all the rest. So here's what I learned: everybody wants the fun times back! Community, Contests, Chats, etc... Most seems to agree participation is key but that doesn't mean anybody is doing beyond talking here.
So here it is, Star , rather than a gripe letter, I'm challenging you to create the contest... help DW out and see if you can get something started (with his help). You've known me a while and I'm only an occasional participant in these things but you want it, you start it and I'll support that by participating (at least in the 1st one).

Posted on: 27 07 12 06:13 pm

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.