Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hello! Is anybody Home?
Shaper of Worlds
From Matteson, Il
Level : 47; EXP : 34
HP : 231 / 1158
MP : 1303 / 67640
Quote:

pijon wrote:
Quote:

So here's what I learned: everybody wants the fun times back! Community, Contests, Chats, etc... Most seems to agree participation is key but that doesn't mean anybody is doing beyond talking here.
So here it is, Star , rather than a gripe letter, I'm challenging you to create the contest... help DW out and see if you can get something started (with his help). You've known me a while and I'm only an occasional participant in these things but you want it, you start it and I'll support that by participating (at least in the 1st one).

way to put me on the spot buddy. i guess if i can talk-the-talk i should at least walk-the-walk. ya kinda caught me off guard and i'm drawing [hey 'nuther pun ] a blank. its really hard to come up with a suitable challenge that is fair to every member since we have so many that work in different medias. and i'll have to admit that i dont personally know most of our newer members enough to know thier likes or dislikes. we'll have to come back to that later i suppose. what i will do is to offer my services to any who truly wants a fair assestment and judgment of thier artistic skills and is looking for areas of improvement. i used to give open critiques before but not everyone wanted that. i do see lots of guys who crete thier own original characters and or books.. i know i'm no professional, but i would be willing to offer any who seriously seeks help or advice.

Posted on: 28 07 12 03:33 am

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71121
Quote:
Starchild wrote:
way to put me on the spot buddy...ya kinda caught me off guard

Hey no problem, bud... what're friends for?

Quote:
Starchild wrote:
i suppose. what i will do is to offer my services to any who truly wants a fair assessment and judgment of their artistic skills and is looking for areas of improvement. i used to give open critiques before but not everyone wanted that. i do see lots of guys who create their own original characters and or books.. i know i'm no professional, but i would be willing to offer any who seriously seeks help or advice.

Yeah, unsolicited advice is like walking through a minefield when it comes to someone you don't know. I hope folks actually do take advantage of your offer. Personally speaking, your advice has proven quite valuable on numerous occasions. I might add that some newer folk might not be aware that it's not just yr 3D skills but your photo manips and drawings are high skill stuff too so those folks interested in those should also take advantage.
Quote:
Starchild wrote:
its really hard to come up with a suitable challenge that is fair to every member since we have so many that work in different medias. and i'll have to admit that i dont personally know most of our newer members enough to know thier likes or dislikes.

Well, geez... when ya put it like that, it sounds like a real stumper! I don't think I have the wisdom to design such an "across the board" challenge myself. Fortunately, I know of someone who does: Matthew M. Laskowski AKA fox-orian

Matt has created the coolest meme ever with this one. It's called an Influence Map.
The idea is a very simple one: you take a 1462 H x 1000 W and divide it into a grid. You then fill those grids with 3x3, 2x2, 2x1 and 1x1 tiles containing images of whatever has inspires you as an artist. Whatever you want... photos, paintings, comics, your art, someone else's art, 3D, vector, whatever... hell, if you wanna go off the grid, go nuts! I think this is something everyone can participate in and would have a blast regardless of skill level or particular interest. I have posted a .png copy of fox-orian's template in the HFC cookie jar or you could download a .psd copy on this page. I propose making an Influence Map as the August Challenge. Feedback? I 'm talking to everyone here... you too, lurkers!!
Do I have to do everything??!!

Posted on: 28 07 12 07:27 am
Create PDF from Post Print

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34747
Influence maps are an idea, and at least you're trying. But it brings up the point I made earlier that other websites can do things like that bigger and better. In fact this influence map is referred to as a "deviantArt meme".

Not that it can't be done, but why not put a HM spin on it?
Idea 1 - An Influence Non-map: form your influences into something else, a combo hero, a pizza, a blueprint... anything. Or paint an original image combining the different art styles of your influences.

Idea 2 - A Non-influence Map: create a diagram of artists or people who have inspired you NOT to be like them.

As for other challenges, Something Awful has Photoshop Phriday, Cracked has Photoplasty... and these largely run themselves. Members suggest themes for the next week and then create the images. No reason why HM can't do the same, of course comic themes would make sense.

Other ideas:
Revamp the duels: Duels were fun, except there always seemed to be a big mismatch in skills, or the duel would clearly favour one of the other, or one person just wouldn't put any effort in.

Homage to a Great: As mentioned, HM has great old images. Why not pick an image and recreate/re-envision it?

What was the challenge where you had to take an ugly photo and make it look good? There are always fat cosplayers to retouch.

Pass-around images were always fun.

There's more but I literally have to leave this second!

Posted on: 29 07 12 04:50 pm

From United States
Okay Chilly,
Judging by your last sentence of last post, you were putting things together rather hastily so in skimming fox-orion's words, you put together something which isn't... that his meme is a "deviantart meme", it states this nowhere in his notes on his page (deviantart not mentioned except for instructions on how to search for it at that site where it is posted) and the only use of the word deviantart in his instructions on the template is just part of his homepage address and that is separated from his meme mention by large spaces and a vertical bar.
It is fox-orion's idea, he's not putting a brand name on it and I think it's a considerably larger idea than dA. I credit the man, not where he posts anymore than I'd credit EC for that Frazetta cover that's the first image on my inspiration map. Wait... did I say "my inspiration map"? Oh yeah...here
Again, I expect that in your haste, you might not have noticed that I had already thrown down the gauntlet a few hours earlier in the gallery. I had already challenged you and everyone else to do an inspiration map.
Personally, I think it's a fine challenge as is... I think everyone who does it will like the results, I think you will be surprised how much those elements which make this site uniquely HM will be exposed by submissions. I also think we'd learn something about each others art. That said, I'm not much of a "letter of the law" kind of guy, more the "rules as guidelines" type... hell, I didn't even follow fox-orion's instructions myself! He calls for specific numbers of specific tile types and I didn't feel like it so I ignored it. I think your twists on the theme are hilarious! I'd love to see you do either of those although if you chose Non-influence Map, then I would caution against attacking other members of our community as apparently riding the n00bs around like ponies is frowned upon in this establishment. I know I'd like to see you do a classic HM influence (maybe with links?) as it's something I think you're very knowledgeable about the matter and could probably do a better job than anybody else on it. Mainly, I just want to see you step up and do one... whichever route you go with it, I know it'll be uniquely you and damned cool too. So we could contemplate the possibilities for a long time or we could start doing stuff! Sounds like you've got a lot of great ideas for challenges... tell you what, you pick the next one and I'll submit something but first, you've already been called out. BTW, Starchild will be stepping up.

Posted on: 30 07 12 08:27 pm

superhero
From DC area
Level : 18; EXP : 92
HP : 0 / 448
MP : 138 / 20736
Chillyplasma, I really only had time to read the first few posts here. I have to say that HM has done wonders for me. I've met some really great people here, they gave me advice, friendship, goofed off with me in the chat and flirted with me. I've loved all of it.

I do have to admit that life did take over and due to the structure of the site I stopped checking it. Mostly because I can't directly reply to someone and the gallery organization.

This could be updated though and I don't think the site has to fail. It can be saved. I personally do not have the skills to do so but I do have friends that could magic this site to becoming a powerhouse. Even if it is just for us. But they would have to be paid, which is the problem.

Personally for very cheep I would love to do some tutorials, I like teaching and have gotten better. (Sorry Bio for my redraw forever ago I got carried away). The problem with free tutorials is just that I get asked how to paint, which involves a LOT of information that I've learned over my life. More specific things are more doable though.

All in all I really love this community, they have been wonderful and I am proud to be a part of it and call the people here friends.

Redd

Posted on: 31 07 12 11:31 am

The Metal Shinigami (Moderator)
From Kentucky
Level : 52; EXP : 13
HP : 255 / 1278
MP : 1716 / 72111
I have finally got to catch up on this thread and I have a few ideas that may help get the site back to somewhat the way it was. I will post them later. In the mean time do we have any programers on here that can create apps for smart phones?

Posted on: 31 07 12 07:15 pm

From Kentucky
If I may, you may want to put the template in an area more accessible to new people and those that do not have access to the HFC if you want to get the participation you are looking for :)

Posted on: 31 07 12 09:31 pm

From United States
Thanks DW, I was thinking the same thing myself. I posted to the cookie jar as it seemed the most appropriate place to post to but yr right, perhaps not the most open. Well, yr the mod... would it be alright if I posted to HM gallery? ...or is there a better place?

Posted on: 1 08 12 03:40 pm

From United States
BTW, love the cool new spinning thumbs on top images! Very much enjoying the random image column too... I guess somebody is home! Great job, guys!

Posted on: 1 08 12 04:17 pm

From Kentucky
I have no problem with it being in the gallery, but in time it will move off the front page. maybe host it some place like photobucket and have the link to it in the thread started for it? give me a sec and I will do just that

Posted on: 2 08 12 03:53 am

From United States
Thanks DW! Much appreciated!

Posted on: 2 08 12 05:00 pm

The New Number 2 (Moderator-Like Guy)
From Kamloops, BC, Canada
Level : 31; EXP : 82
HP : 0 / 770
MP : 455 / 44732
So, okay, I kinda missed this thread before (my own damn fault for never looking at the forums). But...

I'm one of those people who've drifted away from HM. I used to hang out here all the time, chat a lot, and comment and post, er, occasionally. In recent years, that's mutated into checking out the site every couple weeks or so. If I remember. That's partly down to real life, of course, but it's also due to the lack of life here. If there's never anyone around to talk to, there's very little impetus to hang around. And of course, the general lack of participation means lack of comments, which in turn means lack of inspiration. I'm happy for (and a bit jealous of) those who don't care about comments and can find that artistic impulse elsewhere. I'm not one of them, sadly. It usually takes me a lot of work and several weeks (if not months) to put together an image, and it's pretty disheartening when I finish them and then no one even seems to notice they exist. Sure, I still occasionally WANT to make an image, but then I think about how it'll take ages, and I'll work my ass off, and then it'll quite likely just sink without trace and... bam, the impulse is gone. This obviously is no one's fault but my own (well, and maybe Dar's-- being blamed for shit is his job), but it still basically means I just don't end up posting here.

And I love HM. This community has meant a lot to me over the years. I've spent a lot of time in that Shoutbox over to the left. I've gotten a lot of help and inspiration from youse guys. There's folks here I consider among my closest online friends (though they probably just see me as that annoying guy who bugs them for comments). Those with long memories will recall that I was also a member (and occasional minor deity) of one our sister sites, Comics2Film. That community withered and died as its core membership drifted apart (aided by outdated technology and a change of ownership). I'd hate to see the same thing happen here. I have tried elsewhere -- I posted a handful of things at DeviantArt (boo, hiss). But I'm not sure anyone even noticed. Not surprising, given how quickly stuff disappears from the front page... Unless you're the second coming of Rembrandt, I suspect you need to already have a fanbase for anything you post there to attract much attention. I don't really have the time or energy or productivity to work on that. Plus DA seems focused more towards drawing and painting than towards the medium I'm actually good at. So... yeah. It's really not the same.

What can be done, I don't really know. Challenges are nice and all, but they won't help much if there's no one here to see them. A thorough technological overhaul and wider web presence are probably necessary, but I'm nowhere near techie enough to know where to even start. (Though I can guess it'll probably involve a lot of time and money, no?) But wouldn't it be really nice if we could somehow pull it off?

Posted on: 5 08 12 01:18 am

Shaper of Worlds
From Matteson, Il
Level : 47; EXP : 34
HP : 231 / 1158
MP : 1303 / 67640
We l I must say...Mission Accomplished! Who said pushing the right buttons doesn't get results? I am so glad that I decided to be a pain-in-da-butt, especially if it produces results like this. The site improvements are fantastic and all it took was bringing back some favorites that somehow had been swept under the rug...such as the top poster sidebar and especially the random images. So what do you think fellas? was the poke worth it?

Posted on: 6 08 12 01:24 am

Bat Junkie...and who took my meds???
From Mexico City (we don't wear hats)
Level : 40; EXP : 93
HP : 0 / 998
MP : 873 / 60128
Here is my little participation after a year and a half of no posting anything click here

Posted on: 8 08 12 04:29 pm

Your Reality Credit Card
@Pijon ? I read your thing and looked up Influence maps and the first thing that came up was ?Influence maps are a deviantArt meme?. That?s all well and good as a little challenge, but we want a Heromorph meme, something that can?t be found on a dozen other websites.

Redd came back to the idea of HM as a teaching website. ?Learn how to paint (beginners level) in 50 short tutorials!? I think a mass of good tutorials would set HM apart.

As I started before, here are some ideas that I think would either be slightly unique to HM, or just fun to take part in.

Duels ? these were great fun, but as mentioned earlier were often mismatches. Perhaps they could be run by a third party.

Partnerships or pass-arounds ? working with another artist or a group was cool fun.

Heromorph the Book (hard or softcopy) ? 1. could be just a gallery type thing, and/or 2. get members to write, draw, colour, edit etc our own comic.

HM CCG ? I think this would be cool. Create a playable Collectible Card Game using HM art for the cards (this would probably be virtual). Somebody dispenses the cards based on participation at HM. Members can then play each other!

Heromorph Help ? one great thing that happened for me was when I bought comics off a guy on ebay and he wouldn?t ship to my country. Daruma offered to help, receiving and reposting the comics to me. That was such a great help and a real-world HM network could be really useful.

Heromorph Sucks (up... work on the name) ? what about a prize to see who can get the most famous person to visit and write something at HM?

The Live HM tutorial ? get a good artist hooked up so people can watch and talk with them as they draw or paint, live!

Heromorph reviews ? I hate wasting good money on bad movies, and trying to find a good comic to read. Let?s get regular reviews on HM, in a structured manner by reviewers, as opposed to everyone saying ?I liked it?.

The ?thread? gallery (need a better name, ?Chinese whisper? sounds racist) ? someone posts the first image, next person in line does an image that is related to the first image somehow, third person makes an image related to the second image and so on.

Restart Girl of the Week ? that sort of fizzled, but it was very tight deadlines, perhaps Female of the Fortnight instead.

I have also been mulling the idea of the Kickstarter model. Not sure how it would work but HM members contributing in some way for somebody to create something.

Posted on: 8 08 12 08:01 pm

From United States
Quote:

Chilly sez:
@Pijon ? I read your thing and looked up Influence maps and the first thing that came up was ?Influence maps are a deviantArt meme?. That?s all well and good as a little challenge, but we want a Heromorph meme, something that can?t be found on a dozen other websites.

Hmm, I must say Chilly, that sounds most curious to me. I know the first place I'd look would be with the meme's creator. He doesn't seem to mention that it's a "deviantArt meme", the next place I'd check would be Google which doesn't refer to it as a "deviantArt meme", next I would check Wikipedia which yields no results.... so I really would like that address to see that first place you looked which made mention of "deviantArt meme" so that I can read it for myself. Post that for me because I need to be sure you're not just trying to weasel out of the challenge.
Anyway, if you'd looked up meme, you'd see they act like genes, which means mutating and replicating. What I am suggesting is that if you look at the 12 Influence Maps by members here, it's ALREADY mutated into HM Influence Maps but if you'd rather do a special Heromorph take on it, then by all means! I know OCP said he was thinking about doing a Heromorph I-Map.
I picked Influence Maps because it seemed simple, easy and fun as well as giving insight into the art of all the artists who participated and creating some common bonds and maybe even get a few comments going. So far, 12 maps have been entered so it looks like it's more or less a mild success thanks to the other 9 members who submitted one (you guys rock!). This happened because I made it happen, started the challenge forum, posted the thumbnails and links, talked about it in the forums and gallery and submitted to it. I'm not a moderator or an administrator, I'm just a member saying "if WE want more to happen around here, maybe WE should actually DO something about it." I'm saying members complain but there's no reason the membership can't step up too especially the ones complaining.
As to your ideas, they all sound really good to me! Some of your suggestions are rather far reaching, which is to say they would require community, resources and complex planning. I personally am more focused on what we can do to make things better now and there are a number of things you could do right now like duels, partnerships, pass-arounds and thread gallery. So pick one and make it happen! Start there. Less talking, more doing. Hell, I could have been done a Heromorph Influence Map in the time it took me to write this! Maybe if things keep picking up, more people get involved, we can get to some of the bigger stuff.

Posted on: 10 08 12 06:32 pm

Your Reality Credit Card
Nobody creates a meme, you create an idea and the rest of the world turns it into a meme.
My point being, things like influence maps are interesting for a little while but don't help 'Heromorph'. Nobody is going to look at one and think of Heromorph, because you can already find them anywhere.
Focusing on simpler things to get results "now" will only work in the short-term. It doesn't address the problem of 'what makes Heromorph relevant anymore?'

As for initiatives, I am happy to come up with ideas and contribute (the cover mods idea was quite fun) but I won't be starting anything. I have literally spent entire days in the past on various things for HM... and I learned my lesson.

Posted on: 16 08 12 02:45 am

From United States
Dude, Influence Maps are just a simple and fun challenge... that's all. I'm not trying to change HM's image. Quite frankly, it's not like every challenge here has been so incredibly original. Many have been quite similar to other sites I'd belonged to. I'm not sure what you would like me to do. If you would feel more comfortable if I redesigned the Influence Map template and stamped a big HM on it, then I'll do that. As previously stated, I feel Influence Maps serve a good purpose, that of allowing us to see the common interests we have with other members and so in that regard, it is helping HM. I was pretty happy to find so much common ground with fellow members. I do appreciate you helping me give it so much "air time" here in the forums and keeping it topical. Just submitting an Influence Map would've been nice (and easier) but if you don't want to give anything away about yourself, I understand completely.

Okay, you have put in your time here and if you didn't feel thanked for that, well... sincerely thank you very much! I was a big fan of those classic top images. You do get a pass. BTW, very, very happy to see you having some fun with the cover flips! I was trying to come up with something that might be more appealing to you than my first challenge. I'm glad to hear you say that you're still willing to help out with suggestions and stuff since you'll be picking the next challenge. ...but let Cover Flip run a little while first. Everybody still seems to be having fun with it for now.

Posted on: 16 08 12 06:26 pm

Dazed and Confused... mostly Confused
From usa
Level : 44; EXP : 51
HP : 0 / 1087
MP : 1096 / 62610
Just wanted to say........ I actually miss Girl of the Week. It kept the artist block away and caused me to do research as well as draw characters I'm not familiar with.

Posted on: 22 08 12 06:15 am

Herald
From halfway between limbo and purgatory
Level : 29; EXP : 95
HP : 0 / 723
MP : 392 / 43544
Let's think about this a sec... some of Chilly's ideas were GOLD, however some would take an abundance of a resource either none of us have or none of us are willing to cough up.

A Heromorph book... I really like that idea, but the cost to get it printed and published in any format other than digital would be a bit steep.

Heromorph CCG- that's just a funny concept. I can see it now, WinterHawk, BikerBot, Jr. and all the other mods would be the rarest and most powerful cards LOL

Fully agree with girl of the week.. and what ever happened with the artist interviews?

Tutorials- Great idea. Love it. How hard would it be anyway?

HM Reviews- ah.. nice nice. Not only a coverage of new comics and fresh stoylines, but we should cover movies as well.

partnerships- I do this a lot as is.. but we need more challenges/contests in which we do this.

Posted on: 22 08 12 11:19 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.