Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

MOVIE RANT: X-Men: Days of Future's Past (may contain spoilers)
Herald
From halfway between limbo and purgatory
Level : 29; EXP : 95
HP : 0 / 723
MP : 392 / 43666
Okay. so I recently saw "X-Men: Days of Future's Past" and I've got a few issues with it. For the most part I watched it for nothing but the entertainment value. As far as that goes, it was a really good flick. There were a few things that bothered me though and to simplify things, I'll just list them...

1. Since when the hell did Kitty Pride have any other power besides making herself and anybody she held on to intangable??

2. Basic Anatomy: We get to see Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique yet again, which was cool, but this film suffered from the one thing that all the X-men films (minus First Class) failed to address... in her full on blue mutant form she's nude, so wouldn't certain parts of anatomy (say.. in the southern regions) be visible? This has always bothered me. At least in First Class she wore clothing.

3. Creating mutants for the film that never existed in the Marvel Universe: Okay... that's cool. I guess. Sure it's to round out the random characters in the film, but what is the purpose other than to be extras?

4. The ending: Oh geez... how this didn't make sense. During a fight sequence between Beast, Xavier, Magneto, and Wolverine and Sentinels... Magneto impales Wolvie with a bunch of rebar and tosses him into the Potomac River... a good distance from the building itself (okay..that was cool but) Wolverine is then fished up out of said river after it's all said and done by police and a young William Stryker (who just happens to be Mystique who gives the yellow eye flash just before the credits begin to roll. Well...this didn't make much sense. Wouldn't it have been better for continuity had that actually been Stryker??? It would easily explain how Logan gets involved with Stryker for the events of that god awful Orgins movie and got his adamantium.

5. Speaking of Sentinels...The 1970s Sentinels were made with "space age polymers and ceramics" and no metal parts as explained by Trask during a meeting, as if he anticipated Magneto escaping from his metal free prison. I honestly don't see how they would even be a functional machine without metal parts. No metal gears, not metal tubes, no metal engine. The future Sentinels were created using Mystque's DNA to give them the ability of adapt to any mutant power. Now here's my concern... if they were made using DNA and organic material...wouldn't that actually make them biomechanical, in turn, making them A LOT easier to beat??

6. How exactly did Wolverine get his adamantium skeleton and claws back in this film following the events of "The Wolverine" movie where he lost it? This is never addressed, only little quips nodding at it prior to the climatic battle at the White House.

Well there's my rant. There's a lot more I'd like to cover, but I don't really want to ruin the film for anybody nor give out too many spoilers. I will say, IF you haven't seen the film, go see it AND don't let my rants deter you from enjoying the film.

Posted on: 28 05 14 09:54 am

Re: MOVIE RANT: X-Men: Days of Future's Past (may contain spoilers)
Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81938
Here is what I tell all of my non-comic book friends. "And you believe a man can fly" This brings them back down to semi-nerd status and makes them OK with any in-continuity there might be.

BUT, being that I am a born and raised XMAN fan, these issues might bother me... if I cared. It is a comic book movie and the many viewers out weigh the needs of us few comic book fans. SOOOOO.... back to the Who Cares. If it was good, then that is all that matters. And I have NEVER wanted to see Mystiques Who-Ha... so thank you for not making here "nude" nude. LOL
But thanks for spoiling the ending for me.

Posted on: 28 05 14 11:07 am

Herald
From halfway between limbo and purgatory
Level : 29; EXP : 95
HP : 0 / 723
MP : 392 / 43666
Oh I didn't give the full ending, only a wee bit of it. That would be a real douche move on my part. As for the nude "nudes" of Mystique... I'm not wanting to see it either, but the fact remains that "X-Men: First Class" was the only film to put clothing on her while she was in her true blue form. Realistically, her nether regions would be fully visible... which would make it rather difficult for a male victim of her's to fully get into the agonizing pain of a foot to the neck. "Oh hey look! A blue vagina!"

Posted on: 28 05 14 05:38 pm

Shaper of Worlds
From Matteson, Il
Level : 47; EXP : 34
HP : 231 / 1158
MP : 1303 / 67835
Yeah I had my issues too! I won't go into them at this time, but in response to yours I offer this:
Quote:

DarqueImages wrote:
1. Since when the hell did Kitty Pride have any other power besides making herself and anybody she held on to intangable??

Yeah Kitty's new extra power f**ked me up too! I didn't know you could teach psionic abilities .Seems to me if she had this ability all along she could have used it much sooner in life and corrected a whole lot of issues. I understand they had to come up with a viable method for Wolvie to time travel but if you had no intention of introducing Racheal [Phoenix] Summers (who actually performed the task in the comics) then why not Prof X? He at least has mental abilities.
Quote:

DarqueImages wrote: 2. Basic Anatomy: We get to see Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique yet again, which was cool, but this film suffered from the one thing that all the X-men films (minus First Class) failed to address... in her full on blue mutant form she's nude, so wouldn't certain parts of anatomy (say.. in the southern regions) be visible? This has always bothered me. At least in First Class she wore clothing.

I had no problem with this. In fact I was glad to see it seeing as how I took my 8 year old daughter to see the movie. Mystique walking around naked never made much sense to me in the first place especially sense she obviously uses her power to hide her genitalia in the first place.
Quote:

DarqueImages wrote: 3. Creating mutants for the film that never existed in the Marvel Universe: Okay... that's cool. I guess. Sure it's to round out the random characters in the film, but what is the purpose other than to be extras?

You must be speaking of the other military prisoners with Havok. I had no problem with this. You saw this in X3 so why not here? No need to have known mutants for non essential roles. But didn't the bald one with the tattoo remind you of Cable?
Quote:

DarqueImages wrote:4. The ending: Oh geez... how this didn't make sense. During a fight sequence between Beast, Xavier, Magneto, and Wolverine and Sentinels... Magneto impales Wolvie with a bunch of rebar and tosses him into the Potomac River... a good distance from the building itself (okay..that was cool but) Wolverine is then fished up out of said river after it's all said and done by police and a young William Stryker (who just happens to be Mystique who gives the yellow eye flash just before the credits begin to roll. Well...this didn't make much sense. Wouldn't it have been better for continuity had that actually been Stryker??? It would easily explain how Logan gets involved with Stryker for the events of that god awful Orgins movie and got his adamantium.

Yup. Didn't understand that part either.
Quote:

DarqueImages wrote: 5. Speaking of Sentinels...The 1970s Sentinels were made with "space age polymers and ceramics" and no metal parts as explained by Trask during a meeting, as if he anticipated Magneto escaping from his metal free prison. I honestly don't see how they would even be a functional machine without metal parts. No metal gears, not metal tubes, no metal engine. The future Sentinels were created using Mystque's DNA to give them the ability of adapt to any mutant power. Now here's my concern... if they were made using DNA and organic material...wouldn't that actually make them biomechanical, in turn, making them A LOT easier to beat??

I had no problem with the material used to make the Sentinels. What bothered me was using Mystique's DNA to create their powers. Huh? Mystique is a shape shifter. And while she can make herself look like Wolverine or Jean Grey, she can't duplicate their powers let alone adapt to attacks and counter with opposing abilities. Now had they used DNA from the mutant character Darwin from X-Men First Class, this would have made more sense. His powers are more similar to those displayed by the Sentinels. I was more bummed out that my favorite Sentinel, Nimrod never showed.
Quote:

DarqueImages wrote: 6. How exactly did Wolverine get his adamantium skeleton and claws back in this film following the events of "The Wolverine" movie where he lost it? This is never addressed, only little quips nodding at it prior to the climatic battle at the White House.

Yup. They left the door open on that one too. I guess the obvious answer is that Magneto replaced it.
Yeah we could gripe about this movies for months [and after the length of this post I wont even go into my person issues] but it fulfilled its purpose. It erased all the previous screw-ups from the prior X-films and give the new creators of X-Men Apocalypse a clean slate to work with. Who knows since Apocalypse is rumored to be the primary villain, maybe we'll see Archangel. One can only hope

Posted on: 28 05 14 05:46 pm

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71352
Quote:

Strange enough I suppose but I really didn't have to any issue with it. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a character acquired newer powers over time, at least not if we use the the comic as the source: (although changed for the movie) Jean Grey a telekinetic who gets pyro-power, Jubilee turns vampire and Beast wasn't always trying to control his blue and fuzzy to name just a few examples.
Quote:

2. Basic Anatomy: We get to see Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique yet again, which was cool, but this film suffered from the one thing that all the X-men films (minus First Class) failed to address... in her full on blue mutant form she's nude, so wouldn't certain parts of anatomy (say.. in the southern regions) be visible? This has always bothered me. At least in First Class she wore clothing.

While a shapeshifting vagina might present interesting possibilities, I agree with Star... it's a family film and the whole shapeshifter thing explains it away nicely enough. Personally I try to have a certain suspension of disbelief and not try to focus too much on the flaws anyway.
SPOILER:Quote:

highlight to view (hold down mouse button while dragging cursor across this box)
I mean personally I think more about Magneto above the train... does he have X-ray vision? How can he blindly weave intricate metal fibers through Sentinels he can't see? These are the things I try not to think about too much.

Quote:

3. Creating mutants for the film that never existed in the Marvel Universe: Okay... that's cool. I guess. Sure it's to round out the random characters in the film, but what is the purpose other than to be extras?

I'm not sure who you're referring to as "random characters" but actually most of the characters were from the comic... although I haven't much kept up, apparently there's been a whole lot of X-Men at this point. At the military base: I identified Toad, Havok, Ink (not Cable), and Quill (or maybe Spike).
Speaking of casting, among the congressmen were X-Men comic writers Len Wein (who originally revived the series which had been dormant for 5 years, creating new characters for the group like Storm, Colossus and Nightcrawler) and Chris Claremont, the writer who turned it into of Marvel's biggest and best selling titles.

Quote:

4. The ending: Oh geez... how this didn't make sense. During a fight sequence between Beast, Xavier, Magneto, and Wolverine and Sentinels... Magneto impales Wolvie with a bunch of rebar and tosses him into the Potomac River... a good distance from the building itself (okay..that was cool but) Wolverine is then fished up out of said river after it's all said and done by police and a young William Stryker (who just happens to be Mystique who gives the yellow eye flash just before the credits begin to roll. Well...this didn't make much sense. Wouldn't it have been better for continuity had that actually been Stryker??? It would easily explain how Logan gets involved with Stryker for the events of that god awful Orgins movie and got his adamantium.

4. Made sense to me...
SPOILER:Quote:

highlight to view (hold down mouse button while dragging cursor across this box)
I believe the intention of the ending is reinforcing the theme: history has been changed, in the original history, Logan is captured by Stryker but thanks to Mystique, everything has changed.

Quote:

5. Speaking of Sentinels...The 1970s Sentinels were made with "space age polymers and ceramics" and no metal parts as explained by Trask during a meeting, as if he anticipated Magneto escaping from his metal free prison. I honestly don't see how they would even be a functional machine without metal parts. No metal gears, not metal tubes, no metal engine. The future Sentinels were created using Mystque's DNA to give them the ability of adapt to any mutant power. Now here's my concern... if they were made using DNA and organic material...wouldn't that actually make them biomechanical, in turn, making them A LOT easier to beat??

I agree that was weakly explained although it appears that the Sentinels were based on a large number of mutants, not merely Mystique's powers however it was the adaptability aspect of her powers that proved to be key to their success.
Quote:

6. How exactly did Wolverine get his adamantium skeleton and claws back in this film following the events of "The Wolverine" movie where he lost it? This is never addressed, only little quips nodding at it prior to the climatic battle at the White House.

Oh great... I haven't seen Wolverine yet. Thanks for spoiling another one!!

Posted on: 30 05 14 03:11 pm
Create PDF from Post Print

The Great Eternal Dragon
From Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
Level : 67; EXP : 48
HP : 664 / 1662
MP : 3750 / 98057
All in all I take these movies with a grain of salt as they never really follow what the comics have laid out as Canon as the comic readers of these series and the movie goer these day were never the readers of the original books.....they are okay as a story but the people who have read the books always want to pick them apart because the writer for the movies always figure they can tell or create a story better than the comic writers did.

Eg:- The future Sentinels "Nimrods" I don't believe were ever created via Mystique's DNA.

Posted on: 31 05 14 10:45 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.