Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Arthur C. Clarke Died Today
Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
Level : 36; EXP : 96
HP : 0 / 899
MP : 667 / 51667
Sad news indeed... one of the greatest SciFi authors ever to grace our planet has sadly left it. Arthur Clarke died today in Sri Lanka. He was 90. I will miss him.

Link to news release.

Posted on: 18 03 08 06:59 pm

Re: Arthur C. Clarke Died Today
It's a sign of gettting old when the giants of one's childhood begin to pass. But in many ways they will never die as years from now what they created will be read, played, enjoyed, and continue to inspire other young people to be more than they are.

Posted on: 18 03 08 07:17 pm
Create PDF from Post Print

Magnifcent Mechanical Marvel (HFC)
From Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Level : 23; EXP : 52
HP : 0 / 563
MP : 222 / 32619
I'm incapable of saying anything that could be intelligent...

Posted on: 19 03 08 02:15 pm

Dazed and Confused... mostly Confused
From usa
Level : 44; EXP : 51
HP : 0 / 1087
MP : 1096 / 62845
Tyler, right about now I feel the weight of that comment. Considering I'm about to be 34 and I've had to see giants pass away like Weringo, Hunter S. Thompson, Robert Jordan, and Gary Gygax.

As far as Clarke. Though I've never had ocasion to read his writings, I've heard the name and recognize his accomplishments. I'd imagine to some a centerpoint in their life just gave way. I feel for you.

Posted on: 20 03 08 12:23 am

Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
Level : 36; EXP : 96
HP : 0 / 899
MP : 667 / 51667
Clarke was probably my all-time favorite author. He was a true genius (an overused word these days, but in his case the term genuinely applied). I never had a chance to meet him, would have loved to have been able to. I did write him once, and he was courteous enough to respond. I guess Asimov was a close 2nd for me, and I consider myself fortunate to have been able to meet him on several occasions and even have dinner with him once.

It's ironic that I have lost two favorite authors in recent months, the other being Robert Jordan (who I did get to meet, along with his gracious wife).

I hesitate to name a third favorite (still living) author, since these things always come in threes.

Posted on: 20 03 08 07:07 am

Supreme being
From lost somewhere in Northwest Ohio
Level : 26; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 625
MP : 280 / 36739
Quote:

Wasmith wrote:
Clarke was probably my all-time favorite author. He was a true genius (an overused word these days, but in his case the term genuinely applied). I never had a chance to meet him, would have loved to have been able to. I did write him once, and he was courteous enough to respond. I guess Asimov was a close 2nd for me, and I consider myself fortunate to have been able to meet him on several occasions and even have dinner with him once.

It's ironic that I have lost two favorite authors in recent months, the other being Robert Jordan (who I did get to meet, along with his gracious wife).

I hesitate to name a third favorite (still living) author, since these things always come in threes.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Along with Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, CordwainerSmith, L. Sprauge DeCamp, Fritz Leiber, Hal Clement, and many others I can't begin to name...Dr. Clarke helped to give birth to the science-fiction genre. By going to various conventions, I got to meet a few of these Masters...sadly, Sir Arthur was not one of them ( Hal Clement was a fixture at Marcon; graciously treating His fans like intelligent family )

As Tyler McDowell stated, it hurts to see the giants of our youth leave us...but there is one thing to remember:

They leave us that much richer for their having been here!

Posted on: 20 03 08 04:19 pm

The Great Eternal Dragon
From Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
Level : 67; EXP : 49
HP : 664 / 1662
MP : 3750 / 98126
Well I'm thinking he will be missed though I remember that stint he did as a commenter on some TV program Like a "20/20" or "Here Come the 70's"Always he came accross as a most knowledgeable person about alot of things.

Posted on: 20 03 08 05:28 pm

Supreme being
Quote:

Dragondack wrote:
Well I'm thinking he will be missed though I remember that stint he did as a commenter on some TV program Like a "20/20" or "Here Come the 70's"Always he came accross as a most knowledgeable person about alot of things.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Arthur C Clarkes' Mysterious World" and "Arthur C Clarke's World of Strange Powers"

Yeah, DD...like a lot of the 'Great Ones'...He was truly a Rennasinace Man

Posted on: 21 03 08 01:13 pm

Gold Member
From Where You Are Not
Level : 1; EXP : 60
HP : 0 / 15
MP : 2 / 778
Anyone else think his tombstone should be a large black monolith?

Posted on: 24 03 08 12:25 am

sidekick
Level : 6; EXP : 48
HP : 0 / 137
MP : 19 / 6862
A.C. was a huge advocate of the space hotel, made out of recycled Shuttle External Tanks (E.T.'s). Anyone who has been following my panels of Spacescape in the Comic Art Gallery may have noticed that my concept for the Oasis Space Resort is exactly that. Since the story takes place in a contemporary/near future setting, I was able to include contemporary figures and celebrities in the story from time to time. That they would appear enjoying themselves vacationing in space is highly plausible. Look for William Shatner, Tom Hanks, and George Lucas as they make cameos in upcoming panels. Among the sci fi authors, Clarke is not there, but I did include Ray Bradbury.

Perhaps I should pay tribute with the Arthur C. Clarke Lounge in the hotel.

Posted on: 27 03 08 06:50 pm

Supreme being
Quote:

irwinalien wrote:
A.C. was a huge advocate of the space hotel, made out of recycled Shuttle External Tanks (E.T.'s). Anyone who has been following my panels of Spacescape in the Comic Art Gallery may have noticed that my concept for the Oasis Space Resort is exactly that. Since the story takes place in a contemporary/near future setting, I was able to include contemporary figures and celebrities in the story from time to time. That they would appear enjoying themselves vacationing in space is highly plausible. Look for William Shatner, Tom Hanks, and George Lucas as they make cameos in upcoming panels. Among the sci fi authors, Clarke is not there, but I did include Ray Bradbury.

Perhaps I should pay tribute with the Arthur C. Clarke Lounge in the hotel.

Sounds appropriate to me!

Posted on: 28 03 08 01:19 pm

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.