Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Superman Reboot?
mutant
From The Golden State
Level : 12; EXP : 28
HP : 0 / 282
MP : 58 / 15666
Here's an article which seems to indicate a reboot of the Superman films. While there were some problems with "Superman Returns", I don't think it needed this.

Discuss...

Warner Bros. also put on hold plans for another movie starring multiple superheroes -- known as "Batman vs. Superman" -- after the $215 million "Superman Returns," which had disappointing box-office returns, didn't please executives. "'Superman' didn't quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to," says Mr. Robinov. "It didn't position the character the way he needed to be positioned." "Had 'Superman' worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009," he adds. "But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all."

Posted on: 22 08 08 07:31 pm
?They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason, above all, for their capacity for good, I have sent them you, my only son.? ?Jor-El, Superman the Movie
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: Superman Reboot?
Dazed and Confused... mostly Confused
From usa
Level : 44; EXP : 51
HP : 0 / 1087
MP : 1096 / 62619
It will fall flat on it's face. Complete with a running of the bulls and many....... a great many people stepping in their own sh!t and smiling about it.

Seriously, People don't say Christopher Reeves died. They say Superman died. He's still too deeply ingrained in everyone's mind for them to be able to make a reboot work.

Posted on: 23 08 08 05:17 am

Off the hook
From Cleveland
Level : 34; EXP : 91
HP : 0 / 847
MP : 575 / 50648
Yeah, they're talking about making it 'darker and more brooding', like they did with Batman, which tells me that they have no idea how to treat the character.

Posted on: 23 08 08 10:08 am

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34752
The problem they have with Superman in the movies is the same problem as in the comics... he's too powerful. The only thing he's vulnerable to is kryptonite, and when exposed to that he immediately starts dying - there's no inbetween.

Posted on: 23 08 08 11:11 pm

superhero
Level : 19; EXP : 57
HP : 0 / 464
MP : 148 / 27795
I think they should just go ahead with a sequel to "Superman Returns", and maybe even have the guts to cast another person entirely as Clark (althogh I had no problems with Brandon Routh).

Because Christopher Reeve played such a perfect Clark/Superman, its going to be hard for any actor (or any movie) to compare to that first movie in the minds of many viewers.

On top of that, besides Lex Luthor there arent mny villians that the general public knows (although Iron Man proved that a relatively unknown superhero can be quite successful, so why not introduce an 'unknown' villian [my vote being Darkseid ] ).

Also, like many others, I'm STILL waiting for the JLA movie (although I wonder, at the pace Marvel is moving, if the "Avengers" will bet them to the big screen?).

Posted on: 25 08 08 12:44 pm

Do a total reboot. If they could do it with Batman after (ACK) Tim Burton started it down the road to ruin, they can do it with Superman.

First they need to find an actor... as in someone that can actually act.

Second, screw Christopher Reeves. He sucked as Superman. He had dark hair and was tall. Act? no. Looked Super? No. Was Mid-western as Kent? He was a pussy. Sorry he broke his neck and all, but his real claim to fame was brought about by the fact he made a better boo-hoo poster boy for anyone wanting more money for their pet research project that has no chance of helping anyone for 20-30 years at best.

Third they need to do what they did for Spiderman I and use an actual comic book storyline for the basis of the movie script. I would suggest John Byrnes' reboot from the 80s "Man of Steel". Might need a little more umph in the action department, but that is easy to add.

Posted on: 25 08 08 08:26 pm

vigilante
Level : 2; EXP : 97
HP : 0 / 49
MP : 6 / 2483
Wow to say the least!

Kinda harsh words their. Now don't get me wrong on this but the fact is Spiderman did not stay true to the comics like you state, Being the Fact That Gwen Stacy was his first love not Mary Jane Watson! And the whole teenage angst thing going on in SP3 what the heck where they thinking?

As far as the Batman franchise goes Burton did not send the movies down the road to ruin! It was Warner Bros. as well as
Joel Schumacher with the Last Two Batman Forever and batman & Robin.

I mean come on they told him he could do what ever he wanted with the films. And look what happened Batsuits with nips and a cod piece from hell! As well as the whole Neo-Tokyo look not to mention the fact that Mr. Freeze as well as The Riddler did not have a sense of humor.

Superman Returns was another teenage angst drama! At least Brandon Routh has a some what close resemblance to Reeves.

See the biggest problem is WB owns movie rights to the DC universe so they have last words unlike The Marvel Universe, Marvel has the last say and they are trying to stay close to the comics as well as having to update and make it a little more believable in some aspects.

I hope they do another Superman Movie Minus Lex Luthor, Superman had more bad guys then Lex!

Posted on: 25 08 08 09:03 pm

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
Level : 13; EXP : 45
HP : 0 / 311
MP : 69 / 17540
They don't need to do a reboot. My brother and I were talking about the "didn't leave the character" part of their reasoning and we both said the same thing. "You approved the script, jackasses."

This whole "darker and brooding" thing tells me that it is going to tank and I think it was predicted by this man here. Superman

I told my brother about the darker and brooding bit and the first thing we both thought was "is he fighting a giant spider at the end of it". lol

Posted on: 25 08 08 09:09 pm

Quote:

Squised wrote:
Wow to say the least!

Kinda harsh words their. Now don't get me wrong on this but the fact is Spiderman did not stay true to the comics like you state, Being the Fact That Gwen Stacy was his first love not Mary Jane Watson! And the whole teenage angst thing going on in SP3 what the heck where they thinking?

As far as the Batman franchise goes Burton did not send the movies down the road to ruin! It was Warner Bros. as well as
Joel Schumacher with the Last Two Batman Forever and batman & Robin.

I mean come on they told him he could do what ever he wanted with the films. And look what happened Batsuits with nips and a cod piece from hell! As well as the whole Neo-Tokyo look not to mention the fact that Mr. Freeze as well as The Riddler did not have a sense of humor.

Superman Returns was another teenage angst drama! At least Brandon Routh has a some what close resemblance to Reeves.

See the biggest problem is WB owns movie rights to the DC universe so they have last words unlike The Marvel Universe, Marvel has the last say and they are trying to stay close to the comics as well as having to update and make it a little more believable in some aspects.

I hope they do another Superman Movie Minus Lex Luthor, Superman had more bad guys then Lex!

I didn't say that the first movie was 100% cannon, but based heavily from Ultimate Spiderman's first few issues. There are scenes in the first movie that look almost 1 for 1 like the panels in the comic. Note the "almost". A quick check of what I wrote would read something like this "use an actual comic book storyline for the basis of the movie script". The SM II & III movies certainly moved way off the reservation and it really started showing. I believe movie people really do not understand how to do comic heros.

I contend that the Burton Batman movies were successful only due to the Batman name. What comic fan wouldn't want to see one of the greatest comicbook characters on the big screen!

The site http://www.batman-on-film.com has a fair overview/history of all the Batman movies. Burton set the tone for the first four movies and his movies were not so much dark and bizzare and grotesque. His Batman isn't a noble hero, dark, angry but in the comicbooks her is still at the core a hero, but eaten up with bitterness and revenge.

Thank goodness Burton wasn't allowed to do the Red/Blue energy superman movie he wanted to do. And Burton's pick for Superman? Nicholas Cage!

Posted on: 25 08 08 11:26 pm

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
Level : 13; EXP : 45
HP : 0 / 311
MP : 69 / 17540
Quote:

TylerMcDowell wrote:
Thank goodness Burton wasn't allowed to do the Red/Blue energy superman movie he wanted to do. And Burton's pick for Superman? Nicholas Cage!

John Peters' pick was Sean Penn!

Posted on: 26 08 08 01:15 am

Quote:

CapFan wrote:
Quote:

TylerMcDowell wrote:

John Peters' pick was Sean Penn!

Further proof to me that Hollywood has no clue how to do a proper superhero genre movie. The guy from Smallville wouldn't be bad if they had him looking more mature and didn't do the whole oiled back hair look. I wonder though if he is short? Supes need to be a tall, broad kind of guy. A 6.5 foot Stallone with a different head and ability to act. The guy in the last Superman looked like a weinie.

Posted on: 29 08 08 09:59 am

Dazed and Confused... mostly Confused
From usa
Level : 44; EXP : 51
HP : 0 / 1087
MP : 1096 / 62619
Ok, the comment that basically said "if they could do it after the Tim Burton sh!tfest, then they can do it with Supes"

I disagree.....

The reason Batman is getting away with the reboot is because the older version were more about "which celebrity can we get to play in the next one" than they were about how Bruce became Bats.

Supes doesn't have that problem. The old movies were successful. And aside from that THE REST OF THE WORLD outside of the comic community isn't ready for a replacement for Christopher Reeves. I mean think about it in terms of money. The comic book fans amount to nothing compared to the vast amounts of money they can make from the comicbook ignorant. And right now, the comic book ignorant still think Reeves is the only supes.

And no, I don't count the tv shows.

Posted on: 29 08 08 12:19 pm

To be sure the celebrity of the week was a major malfunction of the Batman movies. I do not see the big deal about Reeves or the 70s movies. They were slow, Hackman while the best actor, just wasn't sinister as Luthor and with Ned Betty as his sidekick... no... for me they were neat because it was Superman, but almost painful in how bad they were. The plots were so weak and contrived that I wish I could fly backwards in order that its script could be rewritten. Reeves doesn't come off as being mildly heroic, much less super-heroic as superman nor believable as a compentent newspaper reporter. In either caracter he came off as a bubbling, incompetent weinie.

I will contend that the "big yippie" about the movies was the special effects, the music, and that Superman was the aspiration of the 70s generation personified.

I understand that the Supes IV was so disappointing that it delayed and likely killed a planned Superman/Batman as well as put off the Wonder Woman & JLA movies. Singer's mistake with Superman Returns was trying to continue the story line/spirit of the earlier movies. It is a new generation, new attitudes, and they do not have the emotional attachment to Reeves. A reboot is perhaps the best choice if Superman is to be in another movie.

Posted on: 31 08 08 10:09 am

mutant
From The Golden State
Level : 12; EXP : 28
HP : 0 / 282
MP : 58 / 15666
It's funny that "Superman Returns" breaks even and they greenlight a sequel. It's not until "The Dark Knight" and the money-maker it became before they want a reboot.

Nothing is going to surpass "The Dark Knight". It came out at the right time with the right amount of hype and press coverage due to Heath Ledger's death. Granted, it's a damn good story, a crime epic not unlike Michael Mann's "Heat." There were times watching it when I forgot it was a superhero movie.

It's kind of hard to do that with Superman. The man flies, for heaven sake!

I enjoyed the Brian Singer movie. I also enjoyed Ang Lee's "Hulk", so that shows you my choice of films. No, I didn't enjoy the radioactive poddle or the lame ending, but the thematic undertones and the style made it (to me) far better than that smash fest that was "The Incredible Hulk."

Posted on: 31 08 08 11:16 am
?They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason, above all, for their capacity for good, I have sent them you, my only son.? ?Jor-El, Superman the Movie

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.