Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Anonymity
How does anyone, as an artist leave their real name empty on their profile? I put mine there because I WANT people to know who I am. Do you know how easy it would be to find me using that alone? There are 3 Todd Grosser's in the entire United States and only one in Detroit. I'm just wondering if anyone here knows, as an artist, how important it is that people are familiar with your name? Oh I get using a Moniker or Pen Name but unless you want to stay anonymous your name should be on your profile. I mean it's not like ANYONE can get any personal information from here. Nobody could get my address or phone or even my e-mail unless I gave it to them. I mean, maybe some people like to have that distance an impersonal feel, but I never have. My friends on this site refer to me by the name Spy or Spydraxis even though my name is on my profile and that's fine. However Spydraxis is only a Pen/Designer name, after all who would want to purchase a Grosser production? I wouldn't buy anything Gross no sir, so I understand more than most how a name effects your work. But if I want the credit outside of the artistic community I need to have my real name out there for people to see. Otherwise ANYONE can claim they're Spydraxis (and maybe collect the paycheck too)and it would be hard to refute without some substantiated evidence. This means the work you put on display could be at risk just because your name isn't on your profile. How do you enforce a copyright that belongs to an unsubstantiated nickname I mean, Spydraxis can't sue anyone but Todd Grosser can. Just some food for thought people. Remember that out of all these 3D manufacturers, several gave permission to collect royalties from the work we do, so it's our pockets at stake not to mention our reputations. Funny how a name seems such a trivial thing at first huh?

Posted on: 12 08 10 03:22 pm
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: Anonymity
Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 84827
one thing that isn't viewable to regular members is the IP address. it is logged on each post in the forum and comment in the galleries. a person can prove in US courts who they are from an IP address. so since the IP addresses are logged on this site, and I would assume 90% of sites out there when you make a post if it came down to a court case of someone stealing work and making money from it and you wanted to sue you could prove who you were from that IP address. And most sites would co-operate with a member to provide him with this information. I know if a member of HM asked me to send him the IP addresses he had logged in our site I would screen cap it for them.

Plus as the creator of the work you would probably have the files to support your creation, such as saved works in progess, the actual orignal non-jpg render. pz3 scene save files, layered psd files, the program that can make the image, the products used to make the image, any textures created by yourself in the image. This can also be used to assit in proving your ownership of said image.

Posted on: 12 08 10 03:31 pm

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.

mutant
Level : 10; EXP : 40
HP : 0 / 235
MP : 43 / 10420
Since I dont' have the skills to do this for money I see no need to go all in like you did Spydraxis. I also doubt anyone is going to snatch up my "art" when there are folks on here with MUCH MUCH more talent than I. It is just a hobby for me, one I know won't take me anywhere. That is why I did't bother honestly. I understand and respect your stance though, it makes sense from that point of view.

Posted on: 12 08 10 04:33 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81711
For me, my stuff has been taken and posted everywhere, even at paysites. Back in the day I wanted to put a stop to it and discovered that that in itself was a full time job, so I gave up policing my artwork. Besides, I have a look to my images that most people here at HM know and if they see my work elsewhere they normally tell me.

As for posting my real name in my profile...well, if I don't know you, I really don't want you knowing my name. There are people out there that I really don't want stalking me.

Posted on: 13 08 10 10:55 am

Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 84827
Quote:

JrMcDeath wrote:
For me, my stuff has been taken and posted everywhere, even at paysites. Back in the day I wanted to put a stop to it and discovered that that in itself was a full time job, so I gave up policing my artwork. Besides, I have a look to my images that most people here at HM know and if they see my work elsewhere they normally tell me.

As for posting my real name in my profile...well, if I don't know you, I really don't want you knowing my name. There are people out there that I really don't want stalking me.

For those that don't know Jr's Real Name is Dick Rambone Jr.

Posted on: 13 08 10 11:40 am

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.

Wizard of Lasagna (Mod)
From From the Other Side of the Ocean
Level : 45; EXP : 33
HP : 221 / 1108
MP : 1153 / 54599
Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:

Posted on: 13 08 10 12:00 pm

Arch Nemesis
Level : 32; EXP : 56
HP : 0 / 789
MP : 482 / 47131
Amd all this time I thought it was Rambone McDick, Jr

Posted on: 13 08 10 08:40 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81711
Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:
Quote:

JrMcDeath wrote:

Now I get the joke in the shout box!

Posted on: 13 08 10 09:22 pm

Okay i grant that you guys have very valid reasons for staying anonymous and i didn't know about the IP adress thing Winterhawk (thanks for the info BTW). But I wasn't talking solely about the pieces themselves inasmuch as the intellectual properties of original characters and the like, as having your ideas stolen is as painful and potentially more costly than having a piece of art stolen. Many folk on here I concede have no such properties and rarely post original works or characters. Admittedly I was simply curious about the lack of personal info (Of any kind) from members here. I can see everybody's points and I wasn't trying to nitpick.

As for Jr's real name: Look you can still live a fairly normal life and have a very promising career (in adult films) it's not the end of the world......Okay yeah it is.LOL

Posted on: 16 08 10 02:00 pm

vigilante
Level : 4; EXP : 59
HP : 0 / 89
MP : 11 / 3570
I always put my real name in my fanarts and originals. Definately would want people to know me, for the originals I do and fanart and the likes, Im all the way in Taiwan been here many years now, I feel that basically we are doing a favor to the original artist of the characters with our fanart and that is marketing and promotion for THEIR characters this is the way I see it.

Posted on: 21 08 10 10:57 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.