Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
65 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Comment on comments (or lack of)
Hero to the stars
From Moses Lake, Washington
Level : 42; EXP : 24
HP : 0 / 1031
MP : 950 / 56319
I have a suggestion for Heromorph. I think more members should make comments on the art posted in the different galleries. I am sure all of the artists here love to hear from others how good their art is (I know I do) and most like to have suggestions and tips on how they can improve their art (once again, I know I do).

When I first joined this site there seemed to be a lot more comments made about the art. I don't know why that has seemed to drop off. (I have seen pictures that have been selected for "picture of the week" that had no comments.) I assume people look at the posted art, so if you like it or see a glaring mistake or have a helpful tip why not say something. It only takes a minute and most artists will appreciate the comment

If you post art on Heromorph (and some are heavy posters) how about taking a few minutes to post comments on someone else's art and let them know how they are doing. I do.

Posted on: 5 11 07 10:40 am
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: Comment on comments (or lack of)
vigilante
Level : 4; EXP : 76
HP : 0 / 94
MP : 12 / 4714
This is a universal problem to all art sites. At least the ones I belong to. Not sure there's much that will work and encourage others to comment. I know I have a problem commenting as much as I'd like as well. Between my job, family, etc, and then my own artwork...those few minutes to leave a comment or two become valuable. :) Maybe there could be some sort of reward system. A point for every comment you leave (only one per image) and those points earn you something. Not sure what, maybe they unlock special gallery postings. Any ideas?

Dragontales

Posted on: 5 11 07 12:28 pm

Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
Level : 36; EXP : 96
HP : 0 / 899
MP : 667 / 51472
I will be happy to post comments.

Posting fee:

$5.00 if I don't like it to begin with but the submitter insists on a comment.

$3.00 if it is OK but I probably wouldn't have commented.

$1.00 If I really like it and would have commented anyway.

My PayPal address available upon request.

Posted on: 5 11 07 01:30 pm

Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 84815
Quote:

Wasmith wrote:
I will be happy to post comments.

Posting fee:

$5.00 if I don't like it to begin with but the submitter insists on a comment.

$3.00 if it is OK but I probably wouldn't have commented.

$1.00 If I really like it and would have commented anyway.

My PayPal address available upon request.

you have a paypal account. that`s interesting since you have never donated to the site.......

Posted on: 5 11 07 02:57 pm

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.

superhero
Level : 13; EXP : 58
HP : 0 / 314
MP : 70 / 15749
Yeah, I'm guilty of being one of those people who rarely comment. In my case, the biggest problem is that I absolutely hate to leave superficial comments -- y'know, the Renderosity style "This pic roxx!! U r awesome!!!1!1" comments. But I've also found that people tend to get pissy if you leave a more in-depth comment that discusses either ways to help them improve the picture or techniques they could try next time.

Posted on: 5 11 07 05:20 pm

thug
Level : 28; EXP : 15
HP : 0 / 678
MP : 337 / 35128
Same here. I don't feel qualified to leave critiques of other people artwork since there is so much wrong with my own. Besides which, what might seem like a flaw at first glance, might appear as simply a stylistic choice when examined closer. I do try to give kudos when a piece of art really strikes me but I hate sounding insincere and it can sometimes be difficult to come up with compliments that sound meaningfull. I will definitely try to be more involved though. Sadly, I usually only look at the comic art gallery since thats the kind I do.

Posted on: 5 11 07 09:15 pm

Dazed and Confused... mostly Confused
From usa
Level : 44; EXP : 51
HP : 0 / 1087
MP : 1096 / 62610
Every so often I go on a comment binge. Not as often as some of you would like, apparently. But they usually amount to 200 comments or more in a day.

How much more can you say than "Great Job!! Keep it up!! Who's the model?"

On some, it is mind bogglingly clear what you can say. On others, you've typed yourself out and are left with said comment.

There is also the matter of...... Some of you do not want constructive criticism. You want praise. This issue gets kind of sticky because people start talking about "how it was said". My personal feelings are that no matter how polite I am someone will get angry because I didn't say what you wanted to hear.

In my case, I tried to get to know the other artists here a little better. Knowing a little something of them helps me to not lose my mind when people like Jr flat tell me when my stuff is trash. There's also the benefit of getting the chance to work with your betters. And learning something from it.

Posted on: 6 11 07 05:30 am

superhero
From Toronto, ON
Level : 17; EXP : 70
HP : 0 / 417
MP : 120 / 20783
Quote:

Thayne_LuC wrote:
There is also the matter of...... Some of you do not want constructive criticism. You want praise.

We all know that everyone loves positive feedback on their art, but there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism as long as we end our comments with something positive. After all we want to encourage artists, not discourage them. There is always something interesting about someone?s style or technique. So basically always end a negative comment with positive encouragement. After all, who doesn?t like a pat on the back every now and then?

Posted on: 6 11 07 07:31 am

From usa
As I said, the issue gets sticky because people start talking about "how it was said".

What you're saying about ending with praise. A good friend told me to compliment first and then CC so they don't get angry. Let me just say after testing both. It doesn't stop the hate mail.

Also, I'm guilty of predominantly looking at the comic art gallery. For the same reasons as VagabondX, too. Although, I do look at the other galleries because I figure sometimes an objective opinion is unrestrained. I may not know much about 3D, but arms poking through rib cages unnaturally might be a big clue.

Posted on: 6 11 07 02:46 pm

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34747
It's an extremely difficult issue trying to force (or even encourage) people to make more comments.
As said before sometimes there is just nothing original to say. A lot of times there is nothing nice to say so it is not said.

One thing I don't like seeing is criticism (constructive or otherwise) from people who have not put in the effort to create and post their own stuff. Their criticism/opinion might be valid but it just seems rude.

Should I give objective comments? When I look at my images sometimes all I see are faults. Should I use the same standards when making comments for others?

A quandary I have when making comments is thinking that the artists might really love what they made. I'm not paying them so my opinion doesn't matter. Sometimes even praise can be taken the wrong way.

As I've mentioned before, I like the hit counters. This shows you people are looking, even the selfish lurkers leave a mark.

Posted on: 6 11 07 06:37 pm

Magnifcent Mechanical Marvel (HFC)
From Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Level : 23; EXP : 52
HP : 0 / 563
MP : 222 / 32502
That's a hell of a thread! Excellent!

I like to compliment all works from everybody. Then, when they turn their backs to me... BAM!

No, no... just kidding. I don't criticize as much as some of you do but I try to do my best to point what I think could be improved.
Sometimes I can't say anything good so my mouth is closed...
Sometimes I'm too lazy to write anything...
Sometimes someone already said what was going in my mind...

What I learned is that 3D works are very difficult for me to interpret. I don't have the slightest idea of how they are done. Eventually, something comes and, happily, I can see and understand how much passion was put into it.

That's it.

Jesus H. Christ! That's the most horrible and nasty subject I ever saw! @#$%?&*!!!!

Posted on: 6 11 07 07:27 pm

superhero
From Missouri, USA
Level : 14; EXP : 72
HP : 0 / 343
MP : 82 / 18706
My issue with this is that I normally only comment on stuff that I think is really well done, and not even all of that. I personally don't feel comfortable in public telling someone what I think is wrong with their work unless it's some minor deal in an otherwise great pic.

I've tried art on a tablet, tried photoshopping, photomanipulation, etc. I collect art, and I know what I like. That's the perspective I come from - someone who appreciates art, and knows how tough it is to do some of that stuff, because I've tried and really don't have the skills. So I tend to be more encouraging that critiquing.

Also, another small issue at times - I've left a comment, but it didn't 'take'. If it doesn't show after a few times, I usually give up.

Posted on: 6 11 07 08:58 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81700
I try to leave constructive critisism on artist that I know will not pop a fuse when they hear... "no... that isn't right..." Otherwise if I have been watching an artist for a year and they are not improving then I normally just tell them it is a "good job"

I am not saying that I am the best artist in the world... but I am like Chilly... I open an image and look to see the technical side of it. If there are faults then I see them. This isn't a site of professional artists. *cough*coug*Colero But we do our best to create art. Anyway, If there are problems with the image then I might comment on them depending on the artist. It doesn't matter the artist... if you give them a constructive crit. it might piss them off.

So, if you want me to give constructive Crit and you will actually take them to heart and try to improve then I will. But it seems like no one (other than the one's that I know do) will take it to heart.

So, the are the comments here just to get a comment count? Probably.

Are there people here that only want praise? Yes.

Are there people here that sh!t if they get negative feedback? Hell yeah.

So, it is a double edged sword on the comments.....

So what is the answer?

I say... "who gives a shattner" If you want to say "you suck" then do it... if you guys and gals get out of control and start cussing each other out, we (mods) will pull this site over and either make y'all make peace or ban you. Take it or leave it... either way you will get comments, good or bad.

You will know from now on that if you get a SPAM subject line like "young hotTies take it in the A44" as a comment that your image sucks ballz.

Oh, and on the odd occasion that I do post an image... you had all better start commenting... because I will ban you if you don't.... that goes for you WH... (yeah.. that wouldn't happen... I don't know how to do that... ban HM's ManGod... that doesn't happen... and I blame Dar) oh man.. I am here all week... it is a two drink minimum show... shows at 7p and 10p....

My fingers hurt... and y'all all suck!

Posted on: 6 11 07 09:48 pm

superhero
From Calgary, AB
Level : 13; EXP : 88
HP : 0 / 322
MP : 73 / 17835
hmm...ok, I will go out of character for a moment and actually kind of make a serious post.

first of all, it's important to point out that this is not the only community that I frequent. I started heromorphing in 2005, but where I originally started with PS and digital photo manipulation was in 2001 on fake celebrity boards. I frequent both still (HM and the fake boards). I think it's fair to say that both are very similar...perhaps not in content entirely, but in that both communities have always suffered from similar issues. One of those main issues is posting and comments.

Ok, let's just get it right out of the way. Often times, the concept of wanting to get comments on your work is viewed almost as being...sinister...like how dare you want comments on your work, you're in it for all the wrong reasons! It's about the art man! Do it for yourself...blah blah blah...I've heard it all. Come on let's face it, the sooner everyone admits that they like getting comments the better off you all are. And you can deny it all you want, and you can deny that you masturbate, but that doesn't necessarily make it so. When you make a piece of art here, more often than not it's for free. It's a free image and freely distributed. So essentially the only form of appreciation or thanks or payment for said piece of art is the dreaded comment. And let's be clear, because this is a FACT...art sites like this get more traffic based on the comments. And by more traffic, I mean they get more artists. It's a nice incentive and motivation to make more work and to make it better if you're receiving comments for it. If good artwork is getting just as few comments as the really bad art..then where may I ask is the motivation to do good work? The nature of the beast (the artist) is to have your work appreciated. Let's not be stupid or naive here. If that wasn't the case galleries wouldn't exist, whether they be virtual or in the tangible world, and artists would just keep their work to themselves and not share it. Well sorry but that ain't fuckin so...it would be nice and quaint but that ain't the way it works.

Now in a faking community, when I post a work, I'm looking at 40-80 comments on just one work. That's everything from constructive critisism, to 'good jobs', etc. So what if it's not a creative post or amazingly constructive...it's a show of respect for the work you appreciate, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you enjoy it, let the artist know...even a great work can make someone feel good or motivate them to do more. If you download it, I personally feel you are obligated to let them know. If you can see a way to make something better, or see an error...point it out.

I'll be completely honest. I drift in and out of heromorph. To be quite frank the only thing that actually keeps me here are a small handful of people that I've come to appreciate and respect (even though I'll never say it to their faces). This community is very lucky to have those few people, because without them this place would fall apart because in all honesty, as a whole this community is very weak from my perspective. If I compare this community to the other manip communities I attend, those ones go on with or without a few great people because the community is actually there. People are having discussions and conversations, commenting, shooting the shit, and all that.

I think one thing you always see in any online art community is that people never want to have to be the ones to take responsibility for making their own community great, but that's what any great online community has, are self responsible individuals who go out of the way to make their community the shit. It seems a lot of people are stuck so far up their own asses that they expect comments and posts, yet the actual contribution to the site that they make is little to none. Ok suuuuure they think they're contributing, but in all fairness, what they are contributing is a lot of low quality rubbish. A lot of the time I look at work and I think to myself 'ok...I have no idea how to respond to this. This guy has just made a 20 min one off piece of absolute shit and probably thinks it's the cat's ass...and he wants me to praise him?' Well I can't do that...sorry. People say well they haven't the time to make something better...but that's bullocks...because this isn't a pay check with a deadline...so there's really no excuse. Don't want to get better? Fine...but I'm sure not going to post a comment.

anyways, start taking responsibility for your community...it can't just be up to WH, JR, MB, Bio, etc...it has to be everyone. The best way to make a community great is just to be involved and to be active. I know if the community was more involved as a whole I would probably drift less and actually settle down here...not that that necessarily matters to anyone, but think of all the other people you might attract with a vibrant community.

but ya, I will be the first to admit at the risk of the lynching that I do kind of feel like it's a slap in the face to get 500+ views on an image that I often spend 20-40+ (and much much more time in special cases) hours working on and get a whopping 5 replies. Call me cheap, call me superficial...but I don't think it's much to ask for 5 seconds of your time to make a reply if you enjoyed the work I did for nothing.

that is all.

Posted on: 6 11 07 11:20 pm

Hero to the stars
From Moses Lake, Washington
Level : 42; EXP : 24
HP : 0 / 1031
MP : 950 / 56319
I did not mean to stir up a hornet's nest with this thread. I was just voicing my opinion (for what it is worth) and making a suggestion.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO MAKE COMMENTS THAN DON'T, That's the way I feel. But I just thought that it would be nice if more people made comments a little more often.

I am not asking for everyone to comment on everything that is posted, No one does that, just take the time to comment on a picture you think is really outstanding, or different, or cool, or peaks your interest, or is really bad, or whatever. I think it would make the site more interesting.

I know that I like to receive comments on my art. I like good or bad comments (I prefer good of course) But if you are going to tell me my art sucks than please tell me why it sucks and maybe how I can make it better. I appreciate those who have done that already and hope that you continue to do so. Thank you.

Posted on: 7 11 07 11:27 am

From usa
No worries. It's not the first time this subject has come up. Everybody needs to get it out in the open once in awhile.

Posted on: 7 11 07 11:33 am

superhero
From the Shadow World
Level : 20; EXP : 50
HP : 0 / 487
MP : 164 / 24295
Of course this would stir up a hornet's nest. Money is always a heated subject, and like Vince said, comments are practically money.

I haven't been able to post any of my drawings yet because I don't have a scanner or my own computer. I have however posted 2 stories and gotten practically zip on them. I understand stories do get less views, but it is disheartening, especially since I have no idea if I am a good writer or not. The storylines are definitely sound, but my exsicution might be a little wanting.
Maybe, if you don't want negative comments, you should put that in the art notes of your submitted work. It could even be added to the submission rules, maybe. Just a thought.

I know I don't post to many comments, but I don't even look at every pic. Just the really good ones I want to see up close. I do try to end everything with a compliment, but the pissy people do kinda discourage advice.

Chilly, since I haven't submitted any artwork, is it rude of me to comment on others to you? If so, I will avoid posting for your pics like the plague!

Anyway, if anyone views something from me, I do not yell at people trying to help me improve. I will take everything to heart and not flood the galleries with poor quality work and I do contribute comments.

Posted on: 10 11 07 12:31 pm
No system is perfect. All institutions are corrupt and all future institutions will become corrupt eventually. The imperfection is inherent and cannot be fixed or removed. The imperfection is humanity.

Herald
From halfway between limbo and purgatory
Level : 29; EXP : 95
HP : 0 / 723
MP : 392 / 43544
I have never been one not to give a comment, either an nice one or slightly mean one. You guys can depend on me to give a critique on anything I decide to look at. I have noticed the lack of comments and or critiques on not only my own pieces but others as well. It's a bit disconcerning since a good critique is what helps an artist develop.

Just imagine if nobody had ever told you that somethig you drew sucked or it looked like Spawn when you were shooting for Wolverine... your Wolvie would always look Spawny.

Posted on: 10 11 07 02:14 pm

superhero
From the Shadow World
Level : 20; EXP : 50
HP : 0 / 487
MP : 164 / 24295
Exactly. The only reason I really considered posting on this site, is to get comments from people that could help me improve. In fact, I am kinda disappointed when I get a "Nice Job" cuz that doesn't tell me anything (I don't believe in perfection, just better than before). Not to say I think noone should post that, if all you can say is "Nice Job" that's fine. I just happen to want critiques.

Posted on: 10 11 07 02:55 pm
No system is perfect. All institutions are corrupt and all future institutions will become corrupt eventually. The imperfection is inherent and cannot be fixed or removed. The imperfection is humanity.

From usa
Y'know. I think we did have some kinda group or something here where we all signed up and were sposa critique each others work severly. People even signed up. But I think that's as far as it got.

Posted on: 11 11 07 06:30 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.