Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
68 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 68

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

The great Merging of the Galleries - 2d, 3d, Manips together again
web master
From Canada
Level : 11; EXP : 74
HP : 0 / 268
MP : 53 / 13038
Well as some of you have noticed there has been a change, We have merged the galleries together. This was done after a long discussion and after much thought. I hope that everyone will enjoy the new simplified set up. All the regular galleries have been merged into one gallery.
All the 2d, 3d, and manips can now be found in one fun and friendly place.
Why you may ask, well we are hoping that this move with make the different types of artists closer. 3D'ers mingling with Pencillers, Manipers talking to colorists.
After all we are here to make art and have fun so we thought we would make it easier to see the art.
Also the forums have been simplified. the number of categories and actual forums have been greatly reduced as well.
If you have any questions please post here. If you hate this, I just want to go on record as saying it is Daruma's fault, he is the one to blame. If you love the idea, then Winter did it.

Posted on: 19 10 08 11:22 am
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: The great Merging of the Galleries - 2d, 3d, Manips together again
thug
Level : 28; EXP : 15
HP : 0 / 678
MP : 337 / 35128
I admit to not being fond of mixing 2D with the 3D and Manip galleries but knowing that it probably makes it easier for the moderators to work with and probably saves space I can see the need for it.

And with the fact that you guys do this for free and me not having any money in my paypal to donate at this time I feel like a jerk for even complaining.

Posted on: 19 10 08 01:35 pm

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34752
I can't say I'm a fan of the gallery merge, but as I haven't been posting much at HM lately I'm not going to complain.

Personally I think things like the Halloween team-ups are better for creating artist interaction.

Posted on: 19 10 08 04:13 pm

NooB
Level : 1; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 0
MP : 0 / 0
I'm just glad this site is here, so whatever makes it easier and more efficient for those who are hosting this place for us is fine by me.

Posted on: 19 10 08 07:18 pm

Hellfire Club Member
From The Muggy Depths of Amerika
Level : 19; EXP : 3
HP : 0 / 450
MP : 139 / 22422
While i agree with Chilly that the team-ups seem to create better artist interaction, i feel this could work with one very crucial change, and that is a 'one pic a day' rule for every artist who posts in the main gallery. i think this would ensure that every one's work has got the same amount of exposure. i doubt folks would be that happy with it, but as it would help other, slower posters get the same amount of exposure as folks who post the full three pics a day maximum, they couldn't really complain. oh well, thats my five cents.

also, more team-ups!

Posted on: 19 10 08 07:35 pm

I be all Zen and shit.

Nope, don't like it. Mixing the galleries just means someone that wants to see their art of choice has to click more times. Mixing them together does not mean I will look at anything else more than I do now.

What I seriously hate is when I click on 2d, 3d, or manip subcatagories is that only 1 or no pictures are showing up. I like seeing the last 10 postings of a catagory like it was. As it is, I have to dig to see what is new and I really do not like that.

For me what grabbed my attention most is the random images. Perhaps it would have in having the 2d & manip images be the random images in the 3d Area and vice versus.

I have never understood the us versus them mentality. In 3D, good post work is the same techniques that used to make manips. Good manips uses the same techiques that pencilers/colorist use. Sure things are applied a bit differently, but light, shadow, and composition is universal. It is all the same, art.

Posted on: 20 10 08 05:54 am

Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
Level : 36; EXP : 96
HP : 0 / 899
MP : 667 / 51479
The merge is OK by me, but I would like to make a comment.

On posted images, we get a nice thumbnail to help decide whether to click and look at it or not. All well and good.

After a while, depending on how many postings there are, images drop off the main gallery page. Still all well and good.

Text comments from the artist also appear next to the thumbnail. Well and good, maybe... Currently, I see some postings where the artist's text comments extend 1, 2 or even 3 times the vertical space taken up by the image. This usage of screen real estate causes other people's images to drop off faster.

I would like to see a rule where the artist's comments don't constitute a friggin' novel. Make a sentence or two to go along with the title (so that they won't extend farther than the actual thumbnail), and then, if you need to tell us all about your inspiration, how long it took, the character's life history, what their favorite foods are, who they dated, who they married, what their favorite color is, etc. etc. etc. then post a continuation in the image's "personal" comment area.

After all, it takes a whole lot more time to do these images than it does to write a whole bunch of text to explain them.

Maybe this way, images will stay in the current area a little longer.

Thanks.

-w

Posted on: 20 10 08 07:36 am

Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 84815
Quote:

Wasmith wrote:

Text comments from the artist also appear next to the thumbnail. Well and good, maybe... Currently, I see some postings where the artist's text comments extend 1, 2 or even 3 times the vertical space taken up by the image. This usage of screen real estate causes other people's images to drop off faster.

Actually, this isn't the case.
The front page of the gallery before the merge displayed 35 images on it, no matter the size, quality, amount of description, the site only knew to show us the newest 35 images. Now that we have merged the galleries that number has been changed to 40. So no matter how long the description the site will display the newest 40 images, regardless of the size of their description.

Posted on: 20 10 08 07:45 am

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.

From Canada
Quote:

chillyplasma wrote:

Personally I think things like the Halloween team-ups are better for creating artist interaction.

Well with less galleries to look after we are hoping that the moderators and admin will have more time to both take part in things like this and admin them as well.

Posted on: 20 10 08 07:50 am

From Canada
Quote:

petercotton wrote:
......i feel this could work with one very crucial change, and that is a 'one pic a day' rule for every artist who posts in the main gallery. i think this would ensure that every one's work has got the same amount of exposure. ........

Well truthfully, the galleries have been quite slow for the past few months. I don't think at the moment we have anything to worry about. But if things start getting out of hand that is one of the things we will look at.

Posted on: 20 10 08 07:54 am

Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
Level : 36; EXP : 96
HP : 0 / 899
MP : 667 / 51479
Thanks for clearing that up.

I would still like to see folks use some courtesy and good sense in putting these novellas up next to their art.

That's just my opinion, probably not worth much.

Posted on: 20 10 08 08:05 am

From Canada
Quote:

Wasmith wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up.

I would still like to see folks use some courtesy and good sense in putting these novellas up next to their art.

That's just my opinion, probably not worth much.

It isn't a bad idea, and I know I have edited a few images descriptions in the past quite a few times.
Something to put on the proposed rule list.

Posted on: 20 10 08 08:19 am

From Canada
Quote:

TylerMcDowell wrote:

What I seriously hate is when I click on 2d, 3d, or manip subcatagories is that only 1 or no pictures are showing up. I like seeing the last 10 postings of a catagory like it was. As it is, I have to dig to see what is new and I really do not like that.

For me what grabbed my attention most is the random images. Perhaps it would have in having the 2d & manip images be the random images in the 3d Area and vice versus.

Nothing has changed with the galleries code or operation, we simply moved images from two galleries and put them together into one gallery. Then we turned off the other 2 galleries. the subcategories work the same as they always did.

as for the random window, we can look into what the module provides for options and if further hacking of the gallery module is worth the effort to create new versions.

Posted on: 20 10 08 10:29 am

Shaper of Worlds
From Matteson, Il
Level : 47; EXP : 34
HP : 231 / 1158
MP : 1303 / 67640
Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:

Well with less galleries to look after we are hoping that the moderators and admin will have more time to both take part in things like this and admin them as well.

Sounds alot like this is the ultimate reason behind the gallery merger to me. Look guys we all appreciate what you do on a daily basis as far as maintaining this site ... putting together contests and what-not [lord knows I wouldn't want to do it]. I'm sure it can be overwhelming at times and if grouping the galleries alots you all more freedom and peace of mind, then just say so! I may not like the merger but I can totally understand.

Posted on: 20 10 08 12:16 pm

deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58406
Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:
Quote:

TylerMcDowell wrote:

Nothing has changed with the galleries code or operation, we simply moved images from two galleries and put them together into one gallery. Then we turned off the other 2 galleries. the subcategories work the same as they always did.

While technically this is true, I think what Ty is referring to is in the current state when you click on the sub category of !2d you don't see a page of the newest 2d images. In fact no images are displayed because they are all in sub sub categories.

Posted on: 20 10 08 04:48 pm

deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58406
Quote:

StarChild wrote:
Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:

Sounds alot like this is the ultimate reason behind the gallery merger to me. Look guys we all appreciate what you do on a daily basis as far as maintaining this site ... putting together contests and what-not [lord knows I wouldn't want to do it]. I'm sure it can be overwhelming at times and if grouping the galleries alots you all more freedom and peace of mind, then just say so! I may not like the merger but I can totally understand.

You don't have to look for a secret reason for the change. The change was ultimately decided upon, not to get out of work, but to make the gallery more betterer. We are truly more interested in a more active gallery, than in the work that goes into a less than active one.

Posted on: 20 10 08 04:52 pm

Exactly BD. I want to click on 3d and see the newest 3d posts. I liked that I could quickly pick out the people I liked and see their stuff quickly. If someone new showed up, it was easy to spot them and check out what they do. I liked doing the same thing for manips and 2d. It was simple. The member gallery wasn't too bad because it doesn't get that many new pics and with kids it is best not to be have member gallery pics on screen.

I avoid other sites that are hard to find things in. If I do go, it is to see one thing and get the hell out.

Posted on: 20 10 08 07:48 pm

Supreme being
From Kentucky
Level : 28; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 675
MP : 333 / 38043
gotta say i'm not thrilled with the change.most of the 2D stuff doesn't interest me & now I'm gonna have to wade through it to see the manips & 3D pics.not to mention the time this will take,considering i'm not here much anymore.

Posted on: 20 10 08 11:08 pm

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71132
First, I'd like to echo Star's sentiments and applaud the efforts of the admins and mods. Personally, I like the merge. I think there's plenty of good work that falls somewhere in the middle, where multiple techniques are used and it's better not to be forced to choose in those instances. Still, I guess I could (kinda) understand why some folks wouldn't want check out all types of image. Perhaps some searchable tags could be implemented on images to keep everybody happy?

Posted on: 20 10 08 11:44 pm

Seductress of Sin (real life Babe)
From Hottest Depths of Hell
Level : 38; EXP : 49
HP : 0 / 937
MP : 741 / 52309
I have a question... sort of goes with this. I've noticed a lot more sketches showing up in the galleries instead of the forums. What is the standard for this now?

Posted on: 21 10 08 07:33 pm

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.