Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Watchmen
superhero
From the Shadow World
Level : 20; EXP : 50
HP : 0 / 487
MP : 164 / 24298
Yes, please no spoilers. I haven't a clue who these people are and I only have general idea of the plot because I asked someone.
I like the new costumes to an extent. I think they look way better than what I saw on Wiki for the old comics, but I'm not to big on the girl's (Silk?) costume because it only looks like she's wearing something skimpy, and it looks like a cheesy cop out to me. If they're going to give her something supersexy, figure out how to do it, rework it so it works, or give her something else!
I do like the updated versions of all the costumes though. One of the reasons it took me so long to get into heroes is how...well, stupid, the costumes looked to me. I couldn't think of any self-respecting person that would actually come up with costumes like that, wear them, and actually go out into public like that! The way they are doing things now puts the kind of realism into heroes that I've needed to see. I still don't read comics for the exact reasons I've just given.

Posted on: 27 02 09 11:22 am
No system is perfect. All institutions are corrupt and all future institutions will become corrupt eventually. The imperfection is inherent and cannot be fixed or removed. The imperfection is humanity.
Create PDF from Post Print

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34752
I just saw the movie, it's definitely Watchmen... but...

And by some fluke there is a comic fan out there who has managed to not read the book, you should know it deals with adult themes. Obviously the movie does the same, this isn't an uplifting comedy like Dark Knight.

Posted on: 4 03 09 01:10 am

mutant
Level : 10; EXP : 40
HP : 0 / 235
MP : 43 / 10419

Posted on: 5 03 09 06:08 pm

Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 84815
Quote:

LiarsSmile wrote:
Saturday morning fun...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/485797

That was cool. thanks for the heads up.

Posted on: 5 03 09 07:03 pm

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.

From Canada
I saw it last night a really enjoyed the show. it was really enjoyable.
I thought they did justice to the source materials and really stayed true to the comics. Plus Jupiter was hot.

Posted on: 7 03 09 11:22 am

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71132
Saw it; thought it was ok, a moderate job of adaptation, not bad, not great. The guy playing Rorschach nailed it it as did the guy playing Dr. Manhattan. The guy playing Ozymandias seemed to be doing a lame Jeremy Irons impersonation. The rest of the cast was pretty decent. I thought the Silk Spectre was really hot although apparently Hawk liked her mom, Miss Jupiter better Guess old gals need love too.

Posted on: 9 03 09 02:21 am

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81700
Quote:

chillyplasma wrote:
.....this isn't an uplifting comedy like Dark Knight.

I plan on seeing it this week at some point.

Posted on: 9 03 09 10:53 am

From Canada
Quote:

pijon wrote:
Saw it; thought it was ok, a moderate job of adaptation, not bad, not great. The guy playing Rorschach nailed it it as did the guy playing Dr. Manhattan. The guy playing Ozymandias seemed to be doing a lame Jeremy Irons impersonation. The rest of the cast was pretty decent. I thought the Silk Spectre was really hot although apparently Hawk liked her mom, Miss Jupiter better Guess old gals need love too.

Both were both hot, but during the flashback scenes, I think the mom was hotter back in her day. Maybe it was the garterbelts.

Posted on: 9 03 09 11:37 am

Facebook Ninja (Moderator)
Level : 28; EXP : 74
HP : 0 / 693
MP : 355 / 39137

Posted on: 9 03 09 03:37 pm
User under suspension until -292277022607/7/10 19:31

From Canada

Posted on: 10 03 09 09:44 am

Facebook Ninja (Moderator)
Level : 28; EXP : 74
HP : 0 / 693
MP : 355 / 39137
I did get to see it last night and it was very good.

The effects were great. The actor that played Rorschach was amazing. The actor that played Dan made him believable. Dr. Manhattan was well portrayed by Billy Crudup. Oh, and Malin Akermin is hot.

**********SPOILER ALERT*************

If you honestly thought they were going to use the squid for the ending, you're an idiot.
It worked great in the comic and it would have sucked ass on the big screen. It works great on the printed page, but how do you effectively show all of Manhattan dieing from the giant psychic killer squid?

*BOOM* Big squid appears, everyone falls down screaming and gripping their heads. They die.

That key scene would have been hokey and would have ruined the film.

The movie explanation and how everything played out worked for how they had everything set up in the film. A scene from the movie Fail-Safe appears and is credited at the end of the movie. Concept? The US accidentally nukes Moscow. In order to prove to the Russians it was a mistake, the President orders a nuclear strike on New York.
Somewhat similar in principle. A major city is wiped out to help keep the peace.

Yes, I've read Watchmen. Repeatedly, from 1987 to today. I got wise to it well after the fact.
Thankfully, I'm not one of the whiny purists that are clogging up the Internet.

Posted on: 10 03 09 06:46 pm
User under suspension until -292277022607/7/10 19:31

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34752

The problem is that it puts a huge hole in the story, 2 holes actually.
1. Comedian saw the island they were building the squid, this started his investigation for the comedian to get depressed, tell Moloch and be killed (starting the whole story).
2. Second the idea of an alien attack, and more to come is an effective world unifier because it requires world unification and the threat could come at any time (though it never will). Instead new York and Moscow both take hits so those countries find peace? Missing a link in the logic there.

But I agree, the movie was too long and complex already, I heard the DVD cut is going to be much longer, I would like the squid storyline restored in that.

Posted on: 11 03 09 01:52 am

From Canada
I would have to agree with the Mighty Tart.
I didn't think the squid ending was going to show up in the movie. Do you really think the film would have the same mass appeal it is currently enjoying if the giant squid finished it off. I don't I am possitive that every single critic and "non-comic book fan" movie goer would be saying...WTF?
I think they did a good job at finding an alternative to the Squid.

Posted on: 11 03 09 10:12 am

Wizard of Lasagna (Mod)
From From the Other Side of the Ocean
Level : 45; EXP : 33
HP : 221 / 1108
MP : 1153 / 54590
You guys made some interesting opinions here about the Squid or no Squid. I'll have to get back on this after I see the movie.

Me, I won't mind if the Squid don't show up but they really have to have a very good alternative.

Posted on: 11 03 09 01:08 pm

Off the hook
From Cleveland
Level : 34; EXP : 91
HP : 0 / 847
MP : 575 / 50641
Saw it a couple nights ago. Here's the review I posted at rvb:

Quote:
Daruma's journal. March 10th, 2009:

Saw movie last night. Adaptation of popular graphic novel. Left bad taste in mouth. Possible that level of detachment required to enjoy movie as separate entity from book is unattainable. Too many plot elements left out. Story too rushed to acquire intended depth. Key characters underdeveloped. 160 pound weakling unbelievable in role of world's smartest man and Olympic-level athlete. Details both minor and major changed unnecessarily. Fight scenes unrealistic. Why are so few filmmakers unwilling to choose substance over style and marketability? Disappointing, but not surprising. Hollywood whores not as interested in simply retelling a good story as they are taking that story and milking every possible nickel and dime from it. But when they come to me, begging me to buy the dvd so they can further commercialize a great piece of literature, I will look down and whisper....

lol, no.

? ] [ ?

I didn't really hate it as much as that makes it sound, but overall yeah, I think it could have been better. I have to agree with chilly that the I don't think the ending they went with would have resulted in the global unity it was supposed to. Also...

****************SPOILERS****************

There should have been more back story between Laurie and the Comedian. When they reveal that he is her father, it's not nearly as big a deal as it should be. And I really wish they could have spent more time on the side characters. A big part of the impact of the destruction of Times Square was seeing the deaths of people that you had gotten to know throughout the story; the detectives, the bull dyke cab driver, Rorschach's psychologist, and of course the newsstand guys. Another significant event that was left out was the death of Hollis Mason. I'll be interested to see if there's a 'director's cut' dvd.

Posted on: 12 03 09 11:27 am

Hellfire Club Member
From The Muggy Depths of Amerika
Level : 19; EXP : 3
HP : 0 / 450
MP : 139 / 22422
So, i just saw it(yes i'm a bit late, sue me)

i read the comic book nearly ten years ago, and even then i coulda told you it would have been a bad movie.

well. i admit it.

I was wrong.

this is an awesome movie! to me it had the right ammount of nostalgia, the right ammount of innovation. while i wasn't a fan of Adrian, i felt he did a decent job. i think the other characters were better casted, and indeed, better actors. i also feel the Manhatten Ending worked a lot better then Squiddie ending, as it did tie up a lot more loose ends. my only complaint, really, is that in a movie 2 and half hours long, there was very little fighting. Wut little there was, was excellently done. i know that some won't like the flashy movie fighting, but as someone who's taken Karate for the past 8 years, i tell you, real fighting is either over too quick, or far too boring. even things like the UFC spice things up, so i feel they went the right way with the fighting.

My main opinion of this movie, is that it was done by a fan, and they did as best of a job as any fan could. it's not perfect, buts it right for the subject matter.

Posted on: 12 03 09 05:05 pm

I be all Zen and shit.

Gold Member
From Living in the Land of Confusion
Level : 24; EXP : 25
HP : 0 / 581
MP : 238 / 33751
I thought it was very well done, and if I had been unaware of the graphic novel; I would have thought it excellent. The difference being in that the printed version is so much richer in depth than a two-hour movie can convey.
I would like to hear Moore?s critique of the movie.

*******SPOILER******* SPOILER******* SPOILER******* SPOILER*******SPOILER******* SPOILER*******

Like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Watchmen will not meet up to ?purist? sensitivities.
I very much agree with Chilly; merely taking out New York and Moscow is not going to unify the world, many more cities needed to be hit; Tokyo, Buenos Aires?
Also, it didn?t bother me that they didn?t show specifically ?How? or ?What? the Comedian had discovered, but they could have been more clear that he ?Had? discovered something; ie when he was crying to the bad guy and said something to the affect that he had done bad things in his life (change the word ?this? to ?but what he has DISCOVERED?) makes those things pale by comparison? it?s all a joke.

I would like to have seen Bubastus in more scenes instead of just making a token appearance at the end. I know his point in the comic was to showcase the development of genetic engineering, and that it was unnecessary to make that point in this adaptation; but dammit I think he?s cool.

Posted on: 13 03 09 11:00 pm

From Canada
I edited your post to use the new [spoiler] tags

they are cool.

Posted on: 13 03 09 11:02 pm

Gold Member
From Living in the Land of Confusion
Level : 24; EXP : 25
HP : 0 / 581
MP : 238 / 33751
Thanks Hawk; What's the code sos I knows next time.

Posted on: 13 03 09 11:06 pm

From Canada
use

[spoiler] youre text [/spoiler]

Posted on: 13 03 09 11:07 pm

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.