Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies animated movie
Bat Junkie...and who took my meds???
From Mexico City (we don't wear hats)
Level : 40; EXP : 93
HP : 0 / 998
MP : 873 / 60391
This animated movie looks like is going to be great!...and they look exactly like Ed McGuinness's art

Posted on: 3 06 09 10:18 am

Re: Superman/Batman: Public Enemies animated movie
Super Into SuperGirl (HFC)
From The Better Island Of New Zealand
Level : 18; EXP : 72
HP : 0 / 443
MP : 135 / 26002
I never read the comic but to the best of my knowledge something happened in Public Enemies the lead to the asteroid with Supergirl s ship finally reaching earth, so I'm so hoping they make a sequel

Posted on: 4 06 09 02:30 am

Fanboy Extraordinaire
From MiddleOfNowhere, Ohio
Level : 39; EXP : 52
HP : 0 / 963
MP : 795 / 53739
Looks awesome but why isn't DC making more real life theater releases to compete with Marvel? I can't imagine your average Joe paying $20 for an DVD of an animated movie when he could pay half that to see a 'real' one at the multiplex.

Posted on: 4 06 09 12:58 pm

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
Level : 13; EXP : 45
HP : 0 / 311
MP : 69 / 17622
Quite simply because while DC has iconic characters, not many of them are really that interesting.

Posted on: 4 06 09 01:42 pm

Ring Forger
From Mexico
Level : 30; EXP : 72
HP : 0 / 743
MP : 417 / 36225
Quote:

CapFan wrote:
Quite simply because while DC has iconic characters, not many of them are really that interesting.

I couldn't say that better

Besides, animation films allows DC to make movie more like the comics, they don't need a huge budget, and a script that is thought to be liken by most people that are not into comics

animation if meant for fans, not general audience

Posted on: 4 06 09 04:49 pm
Create PDF from Post Print

Fanboy Extraordinaire
From MiddleOfNowhere, Ohio
Level : 39; EXP : 52
HP : 0 / 963
MP : 795 / 53739
Still 'The Dark Knight' raked in over half a billion dollars and became the second highest grossing movie of all time behind 'Titanic'. Surely a good writer can make a lesser known character like Green Lantern or Flash interesting yet still stay true to their roots to go along with the action and special effects the general public expects from superhero movies to make a blockbuster.

Posted on: 7 06 09 11:28 am

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
Batman is the only exception to the rest of the DC universe. The problem is that the majority of the DC characters are either godlike, godgiven, supreme being given, supreme beings given, or rich boys with nothing else to do. On top of that, their continuity is so screwed up that nobody wants to even try to figure it out (how many Flashes are there now? Three?)

The vast majority of DC's characters are unrelatable. The Big Three are the benchmarks for every character and the only one who is really attainable is Batman. Nobody can touch Superman or Wonder Woman. Batman's popularity is driven by the fact that almost anybody who knows his origin can see themselves setting out and doing the exact same things that he did to become Batman if they had a nearly unlimited disposable income. Hell, even Tony Stark lost his company for a while.

The reason why Marvel characters are more popular and better bets to make movies of is because DC characters are a bunch of icons who pretend to be regular people. Marvel characters are regular people trying to be heros.

The closest DC came to making their characters interesting was during Identity Crisis when we finally got to see just how flawed they are.

Posted on: 7 06 09 11:35 pm

deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58674
Quote:

CapFan wrote:
Batman is the only exception to the rest of the DC universe. The problem is that the majority of the DC characters are either godlike, godgiven, supreme being given, supreme beings given, or rich boys with nothing else to do. On top of that, their continuity is so screwed up that nobody wants to even try to figure it out (how many Flashes are there now? Three?)

The vast majority of DC's characters are unrelatable. The Big Three are the benchmarks for every character and the only one who is really attainable is Batman. Nobody can touch Superman or Wonder Woman. Batman's popularity is driven by the fact that almost anybody who knows his origin can see themselves setting out and doing the exact same things that he did to become Batman if they had a nearly unlimited disposable income. Hell, even Tony Stark lost his company for a while.

The reason why Marvel characters are more popular and better bets to make movies of is because DC characters are a bunch of icons who pretend to be regular people. Marvel characters are regular people trying to be heros.

The closest DC came to making their characters interesting was during Identity Crisis when we finally got to see just how flawed they are.

Only a Marvel fanboy could write this with a straight face

I know this is the wrong thread, but I still say kill them all!

Posted on: 8 06 09 05:39 pm

Bat Junkie...and who took my meds???
From Mexico City (we don't wear hats)
Level : 40; EXP : 93
HP : 0 / 998
MP : 873 / 60391
Quote:

CapFan wrote:

Both companies have their share of bad stories and good stories, but about live action movies marvel is the best, and I would like to know why DC isn't interested in doing live action movies

Posted on: 9 06 09 08:31 am

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
Quote:

Biohaz_Daddy wrote:

Only a Marvel fanboy could write this with a straight face

I won't deny that I'm a Marvel fan, but it's not like I'm the only one with that opinion about DC characters. Quentin and Grasshopper agree with me!

DK, there are many reasons I could think of, that most likely aren't correct, but make sense, as to why DC doesn't market more of their characters into movies. Here's a few:

1. Flash: The TV series. I thought the suit was awesome, but the acting and writing was horrible. So did many others.

2. Time/Warner: Owners of DC, these are the people who are out to make the money and when they see Superman Returns get bashed by critics and not do that well at the box office, they are hesitant to spend their money on another franchise.

3. Casting: Who do you cast to play these iconic characters? We have a thread that has been going on for years dedicated to Wonder Woman alone. Who could you cast that would appease the fans?

4. Green Arrow: A lot of people say that this movie was already made. It was called Robin Hood: Men in Tights

5. Green Lantern: How do you make a space-based superhero not only relatable to fans, but also tell the origin story right? My answer to the first part is cast Will Smith, but then you've pissed off all of the Hal Jordan fans.

Unfortunately for DC, the closest thing you're going to get to seeing the Justice League roster is Smallville for now.

Posted on: 9 06 09 08:53 am

Ring Forger
From Mexico
I really don't get why Warner/DC hasnt make more films
It's a fact we are getting Green Lantern, the rest are just speculations

Marvel is making some good movies, but it has also learned from past mistakes (daredevil, elektra, ghost rider, 1 hulk, and 3 shots at punisher)

We got also the fact that marvel sells their characters (sony to spider man or X men to fox)and i doubt DC would do that, the bad thing is that they have to risk their money, and we are hoping time warner to make like 15 super heroe movies. I guess warner is more worried to how they're making more Harry Potter films

Cap, it really doesnt matter is DC's characters are god like, u can always tell a good story, u just need the right script

And Jr, i also have the same opinion as Quentin and (RIP) D Carradine

Posted on: 9 06 09 10:15 am

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
I completely agree with you. The story is what matters. The problem is that the only story that would actually grasp people's attentions, for a movie, is to see these heros, as Green Goblin said it, "fail, fall, die trying".

Perfect example of a Justice League story that was interesting and made the characters out to be real people was the Cadmus story arc in the first season of Justice League Unlimited. You got to see how the power that the heros had didn't so much corrupt them, but they deffinetely lost their way a bit. The problem is that you can't tell a story like that in the two hours that you have for a movie.

What they need to do with the next Superman movie is finally introduce Darkseid. We haven't seen a live action Superman movie with a good fight in it since II. Instead of just having him show up on earth and Superman saving the day though, they need to take a que from the animated series and have Superman brainwashed and he starts taking over the planet. That would grab everybody's attention.

Time/Warner owns DC so there isn't any issues with movie rights for them (unless you're Watchmen). The thing with Sony and Fox is that the only thing they have are the movie rights to Spider-Man and X-Men and they have to keep making movies for those franchises or let the rights slip (hence the reason why we have X-Men Origins: Wolvering instead of just Wolverine). Now that Marvel has their own studio, they can make any comic book movie that they want to (Ant-Man anyone?). That's DC's problem. The suits at Time/Warner aren't willing to take the risk with their money.

Posted on: 9 06 09 07:41 pm

Ring Forger
From Mexico
Well, there are thousand of good stories to pick, DC (if they ever star making) would probably go for origin stories for the main guys.
I read somewhere that they wanted to do a Suicide Squad film, that would've been awesome, and no need for much origin

Check this note, it's old, but gets u an idea that Warner hasn't dropped (hopefully) the super heroe movies.

SuperHeroeHype

just dont like the idea of making all character darker

Posted on: 9 06 09 08:29 pm

Gold Member
From North Canton, OH
I read that news back in August. The whole "darker" theme is cracking me up. Next thing you know we'll be seeing Sean Penn playing Superman fighting a giant spider while Brainiac is fighting polar bears outside of the fortress of solitude...

Posted on: 10 06 09 07:36 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.