Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Important Questions
superhero
From DC area
Level : 18; EXP : 92
HP : 0 / 448
MP : 138 / 20736
Alright, so as every one has noticed. I'm not very into the consecutive I'm doing. I don't know much about the story and let's face it not matter how hard I try to do horror, it comes out too soft.
I have another consecutive already done. I have not used it because it is the beginning of my seven year story.
To me the art is much better, more interesting, and the story instantly grabs you. plus there is a half naked woman.
I have seriously considered using this as the last part of my portfolio, so I can finally give it to Jinky.
But I am afraid that the story and characters may be taken be whomever I send the portfolio to.
*So here are my questions:
Should I continue the old consecutive or use my original story?
Jinky did you use Banzai girl?
Will it be taken?

If all think I should then it will be up and done with and we can all go on with our lives. No more of that stupid Zombie consecutive.
Anyway this project is my baby and I'm hesitant.
So I wanted to ask everyone to get a gereral opinion.
If everyone agrees to use it then it WILL NOT go up on Heromorph. I will post a link to my online portfolio.

Much love as always,
Redd

Posted on: 13 08 09 10:52 am
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: Important Questions
Criminal Mastermind
From St. Petersburg, FL
Level : 35; EXP : 5
HP : 0 / 851
MP : 581 / 47830
I'm not sure that I follow you, Redd. Are you afraid that someone might steal your work and use it as their own or steal your story idea? As far as which story to continue with, I'm sure that many of us would like to see you do either one or both, but ultimately it's up to you on which story that you'd like to do.

Posted on: 13 08 09 02:09 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81700
Personally Redd, I would not send anything to a company that is an original of yours to try and get a gig. No offense to Jinky... but no matter how honest a company may be, there might be a bad apple that likes what they see and decides to run with your idea. I had that happen to me with a fishing lure that I designed and tried to sell to a major manufacturer... they sent me back a very nice letter saying no thank you and then about a year later, a lure, that looked a lot like mine came out. I am not saying that the company stole the idea... but someone might have seen it and went with it. The good thing was that the lure worked. I don't trust many people that have the ability to turn something I have done into profit for themselves. I would tread lightly.

Posted on: 13 08 09 02:37 pm

superhero
From DC area
Quote:

JrMcDeath wrote:
Personally Redd, I would not send anything to a company that is an original of yours to try and get a gig. No offense to Jinky... but no matter how honest a company may be, there might be a bad apple that likes what they see and decides to run with your idea. I had that happen to me with a fishing lure that I designed and tried to sell to a major manufacturer... they sent me back a very nice letter saying no thank you and then about a year later, a lure, that looked a lot like mine came out. I am not saying that the company stole the idea... but someone might have seen it and went with it. The good thing was that the lure worked. I don't trust many people that have the ability to turn something I have done into profit for themselves. I would tread lightly.

Well, I agree. In a way.
See the cool thing about the online portfolio is that you can't save the pictures. Since everything is digital.
That's the way I'll be sending it all.
But there is always print screen, then there is always the company requests that I send hard copies.
This is so frustrating cause I really think 'Rose' is better in every way. That is what I want representing me.
I was thinking about sending an older version of the story, or changing how it actually goes just for that scene. So that even if it is stolen. It won't be the original story. and like I said the main character is modeled after me. Our faces are very similar.
but like I said I'm still hesitant. but what if the company wants to run my story. What if that is what gets me the job....
so you see the problem. I've agreed with your line of thinking but what if that's what's holding me back?

Posted on: 13 08 09 03:32 pm

Hellfire Club Member
Level : 19; EXP : 69
HP : 0 / 467
MP : 150 / 23170
poor man's copyright. make a copy, take the originals and mail them to yourself. make sure the post office gets a date stamp on it to cancel the stamp. You know have proof as to the date you created it that it was first, and it will hold up in court. then you wait three days for the envelope to show up you mailed yourself.

Posted on: 13 08 09 04:01 pm

superhero
From DC area
Quote:

skurge wrote:
poor man's copyright. make a copy, take the originals and mail them to yourself. make sure the post office gets a date stamp on it to cancel the stamp. You know have proof as to the date you created it that it was first, and it will hold up in court. then you wait three days for the envelope to show up you mailed yourself.

That is genius!

Posted on: 13 08 09 04:08 pm

deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58406
Kind of a catch 22 isn't it? I know a few people who have their intellectual properties stolen and reworked into various products, concepts, and even mainstream comics. Each of the creators were so disillusioned that it for all intents and purposes ended their pursuit within that field of endeavor. However, I have never heard of anyone getting anywhere without putting their intellectual property at risk.

You can do some simple things to reduce the risks though. If you are putting a general art portfolio out there don't include consecutive pages of sequential art. It's harder to grasp the fullness of your story that way, but still shows how you handle the art form. If you have a character that has a distinct design, don't reveal it in your samples. Instead do some general character sheets that demonstrate your design ability. If you have an interview and show your portfolio, document the meeting: date, time, location, everyone who you meet with, and all of what you showed them. Seems anal sure, but having a copyright on a concept you can't prove the thief ever had access to, is like having a blank winning lottery ticket that you accidentally put through the wash.

Posted on: 13 08 09 05:31 pm

superhero
From DC area
Quote:

Biohaz_Daddy wrote:
Kind of a catch 22 isn't it? I know a few people who have their intellectual properties stolen and reworked into various products, concepts, and even mainstream comics. Each of the creators were so disillusioned that it for all intents and purposes ended their pursuit within that field of endeavor. However, I have never heard of anyone getting anywhere without putting their intellectual property at risk.

You can do some simple things to reduce the risks though. If you are putting a general art portfolio out there don't include consecutive pages of sequential art. It's harder to grasp the fullness of your story that way, but still shows how you handle the art form. If you have a character that has a distinct design, don't reveal it in your samples. Instead do some general character sheets that demonstrate your design ability. If you have an interview and show your portfolio, document the meeting: date, time, location, everyone who you meet with, and all of what you showed them. Seems anal sure, but having a copyright on a concept you can't prove the thief ever had access to, is like having a blank winning lottery ticket that you accidentally put through the wash.

What if I watermark everything? It's still see through so you can see the art but it clearly states that it is mine.

Posted on: 13 08 09 08:30 pm

Criminal Mastermind
From St. Petersburg, FL
Level : 35; EXP : 5
HP : 0 / 851
MP : 581 / 47830
Quote:

ReddEra wrote:
Quote:

Biohaz_Daddy wrote:

What if I watermark everything? It's still see through so you can see the art but it clearly states that it is mine.

Well, that might be a viable solution, because anyone receiving those images would then not be able to reproduce those images in their exact form without you discovering that they stole them. However, they'd be stupid to do that to your images whether they had a watermark or not. The main thing here for you to do is as
Bio said, document everything. Have dates on all your origninal images, writings, etc. If you are sending out copies then have a signiture, date, watermark, copyright, whatever on them as well. Anything you can put on your art to prove that it's yours is how you protect yourself. Everyone has instant copyright when they first put an idea to paper and it's that solid representation of their concept that makes it solid, because you can't just copyright ideas, but you can copyright a fully work of ideas such as a character or story. Yes, you do put yourself at risk, but you need to take some risks to express your concepts, we all do. I know how you feel and where you are coming from since I mostly put my original characters out and don't do a whole lot of other art.

Posted on: 14 08 09 07:14 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.