Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

April Fewells Figurine Progression
Hellfire Club Member
Level : 25; EXP : 88
HP : 0 / 622
MP : 277 / 32537
Upon the insistence of Mr. Hazard, I have posted the preliminary stages of my first figurine of my OC, April Fewells. I started off with a simple pose. You can see the stages here as I am trying to give the figure some bulk, so that I can come back into it and start removing mass and adding detail. Just when I thought I had the proportions the way I want, I keep adding more clay. But you can see her taking shape. With the ears, she already measures about 11" tall.

Photobucket

Posted on: 20 09 10 04:13 pm
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: April Fewells Figurine Progression
deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58406
Looking good so far Co!

Is she walking, or is it a standing pose. From the looks of the image with the clay, I'd guess walking. Based on the center of gravity.

Posted on: 20 09 10 04:46 pm

Hellfire Club Member
She is in mid-step, Mr Hazard--you are correct!

Posted on: 20 09 10 04:54 pm

Gold Member
From Indiana, yeah, Indiana, stop laughing
Level : 32; EXP : 80
HP : 0 / 795
MP : 491 / 35766
Very NICE!!!

I love how you've chosen the bunny suit for this one, too.

Can't wait to see this progress.

You've already got great detail into the shape of the legs, hips,arm posing and even the head turn...
this is gonna be awesome!

Posted on: 21 09 10 01:00 am

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71121
So this goes in the 3D gallery?
SWEET!! This is way cool! Looking forward to seeing April take shape and from the looks of things, she's coming along very well! Looking great!

Posted on: 21 09 10 08:03 pm

Hellfire Club Member

Okay, this is the last part of this stage, the modeling. Although the detail is pretty good (despite the photography) you can achieve greater detail in the subsequent wax stage. Several lessons I learned along the way so far:

1) The armature. The armature should be wrapped in wire, not foil. Foil is fine on the broader areas such as the body but then should be covered with a two-part epoxy putty. This keeps things from moving around (like arms). Wire should be wrapped around the appendages for greater stability and adhesion when the clay is applied. The foil-wrapped arms and legs proved to be too unstable.

2) The pose. I thought this would be an easier pose to work with, but in reality it turned out to be more problematic than anticipated. Because of its natural center of gravity, combined with the gage of the armature wire + weight of the clay, the figure had a tendency to fall forward. A much better solution would have been to use one of the pinups that incorporates a support, such as "April's Le Tout Boo-lesque" (gravestone).

3) Smoothing the surface. I didn't find this out till later, but you should smooth down the clay with turpentine. Although the surfaces are pretty good, this would have been useful information to have. Since I intend to recast the figure in wax, all this plus final corrections can be made in the wax stage.

4) Letting the clay get dirty. I didn't bother to cover the figure between work times so the clay had a tendency to discolor. This was apparent when adding fresh clay. That's why you see so much uneven color in the surface--not that it mattered in this case anyway, because I made the mistake of over baking the clay.

5) Over baking. I think I over cooked the thing by about 10 minutes. Not really a big deal, but it would have been nice to have the original color throughout. You can tell the difference with the tail and the nose, which are separate pieces that were baked more attentively.

Despite these issues, I was rather pleased the results. Anatomically my only concern may be that the head is a tad large, though ironically the legs tend to look a little short in the photos. Next I will add the costume seams by gluing on thread, and any other details that were impossible to add in the modeling stage. Then either recast in wax for final cleanup and detail, and finally to a master for multiple castings...or maybe just go on to another figure.

Posted on: 26 11 10 09:33 pm

Gold Member
From Massillon, Ohio
Level : 24; EXP : 25
HP : 0 / 581
MP : 238 / 31676
Even dispite how much you listed here for "mistakes' this is just so great! Very awesome job on this! I love the way it came out, and I would say definatley recast, as well as go onto another character! Very nice work! You should be happy with this.

Posted on: 26 11 10 10:32 pm

Arch Nemesis
Level : 32; EXP : 56
HP : 0 / 789
MP : 482 / 47125
And here I thought you were just goofing around with this (you know...maaybe just making a toy to take to bed...). But no! You have mastered yet another art form!

Posted on: 27 11 10 07:20 am

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71121
I agree, this looks great! I too am most impressed by how quickly you've taken to sculpting and the results... wow! Thank you as well for all those great insider tips about considerations to take along the way for any here who might try sculpting.

Posted on: 28 11 10 11:57 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.