Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

This is going to be a regular thing?
Bat Junkie...and who took my meds???
From Mexico City (we don't wear hats)
Level : 40; EXP : 93
HP : 0 / 998
MP : 873 / 60128
I was checking the main page and I noticed that old manips are in the Lady Heromorph's Top Images, ( one of Jr's and one of winterhawk and I ), I'm glad to see my old work back in the main page, so the question is this going to be a regular thing?

Posted on: 15 10 10 11:40 am

Re: This is going to be a regular thing?
Gold Member
From Indiana, yeah, Indiana, stop laughing
Level : 32; EXP : 80
HP : 0 / 795
MP : 491 / 35766
I could see this as a great way to ad inspiration to new works,
as well as a tribute to some of the finer works of the past.

"The tree of Liberty"...uh..."refreshed from time to time"...ummmm..."with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

I think that's how the quote sorta goes...

Anyway...
Substitute "creativity" for Liberty, of course.

And by NO means is this a reference to anyone specific with the "patriots" or "tyrants" references...hehehe.

Posted on: 15 10 10 10:17 pm

Gold Member
From Lima, OH
Level : 20; EXP : 41
HP : 0 / 485
MP : 162 / 22626
I'm probably going to take some heat for this, but I really don't care.

One of the things I look forward to every week is seeing what images posted during the week made the "Top Images" list. I think it's rather unfair to those posting during the week if images from years ago are brought back up to the top. I mean, were there not enough decent images posted during the week that scouring the archives for pictures to fill the slots became necessary?

It seems to me that it goes against what the Top Images are supposed to be about, and that's showcasing new images that are truly exceptional. Think of it this way. Do you think that, at the 2010 Academy Awards, James Cameron is going to win a few for Titanic; or Martin Scorcese for Goodfellas? And if he did, how would that affect the other filmmakers who put out exceptional pieces of work in hopes of getting that prestigious award for themselves, thus becoming the new generation of James Cameron's and Martin Scorcese's.

This sort of thing deserves its own category of "Top Images" and shouldn't be mixed in with the current week's postings, in my opinion. Maybe add an "Old Favorites" list to the weekly main page or something.

That being said, the images in question are truly remarkable.

Posted on: 16 10 10 02:06 pm

The Metal Shinigami (Moderator)
From Kentucky
Level : 52; EXP : 13
HP : 255 / 1278
MP : 1716 / 72111
I would have to agree with thestarkiller. Maybe it is a statement along the lines of "This is what the Top Picts of the week Should look like or strive to be" and with that I agree as well. but this will bring us back to the ol Quality vs Quantity debate we have going already, so I am not going to even open that can of Worms.

I will glance through the thumb nails to see what images made the pick of the week out of the images I come to see posted every day. It did peek my interest as to why I was seeing these images. i will admit it is refreshing to see some of the classic greats that HM is known for, and for that I have folders set up to collect the art I like So I can look at it at any time, while still getting to see the new stuff.

Posted on: 16 10 10 06:22 pm

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71121
I agree with most of both thestarkiller's and Dark_Wanderer's very rational points. Well articulated, guys.
I do see that a vast majority of current contributors strive for that front page spot. I know that I would've felt some disappointment, had I posted that week and I'd guess a number of the folks who had might have felt that way too.
The flip side of which is that personally, like DrunkenDragon, I look to the best artists here and their work for inspiration quite often and viewing their work is always a treat. There were a number among the top pics posted I hadn't seen so this was a rather special treat for me.
Still, I think a more fair proposition might have been to replace the comics rather than best of the week as since there's only a handful of comics so they enjoy a much greater rotation. That said, I GREATLY appreciate seeing the comics on the front page too and as a creator of one of them (and working on a new one), would not like to see them go away (except in such a temporary instance)!
Perhaps consider occasionally replacing comics with a top images spot?

Posted on: 16 10 10 07:00 pm
Create PDF from Post Print

Quote:

thestarkiller wrote:
I'm probably going to take some heat for this, but I really don't care.

One of the things I look forward to every week is seeing what images posted during the week made the "Top Images" list. I think it's rather unfair to those posting during the week if images from years ago are brought back up to the top.

I agree with you, they don't have to be in the top images, years ago we had a special thumbnail for the old pics (the good ones)...I think it would be nice to bring that back...is just a thought.

Posted on: 16 10 10 08:36 pm

Gold Member
From Lima, OH
Exactly. . .like I said, if you're going to showcase the Oldies, but Goodies, give them their own category on the front page. I'd like to see that, myself. There have been some amazing people posting on this site for far longer than I've been even working with Poser and Photoshop, so I've missed quite a bit. And, while I do occasionally dig through past submissions just to see what was there, it would be amazing if there was a weekly guide to the highlights from years past.

Posted on: 16 10 10 10:57 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81700
I have to admit that I did not read all of the posts... but to address your concerns (that I read), we did not have a top 9 this last week. We (Mods) could only pick a few images that were worthy of Lady H's "top images". We do not want to pick images just to fill the "top images". Every week, we would like to have 9 images that "WOW" our members. And we have decided that when we have a week that produces only 3 or 4 images that all the Mods go "WOW" about then we are going to fill the remainder of the "top images of the week" with old "Top Images".
You can't put lipstick on a pig and call it good art... soooo... we have decided, during this dead period of quality posting, we will post old images in the "top images" for filler.
Soo... you guys that have commented in this thread post art. You all do great work and if you want the "top Images" back to the way it was, then Post!!!!!!

This is my attempt for site transparency.
I hope this helps.

Posted on: 16 10 10 11:18 pm

Gold Member
From Lima, OH
I understand the reason behind it, and I'll go with it if that's what you want to do. It's all about what's visually stimulating, which is what really sets it apart from movies, as in my comparison below. With film you have story, characterization, sound, direction, AND visual stimulation to account for, whereas here it really needs to be about what's pleasing to the eye and nothing else.

That being said, lol, I'd like to go back to my Academy Awards comparison and say that I can remember years where there wasn't a single movie that came out that I personally considered "Oscar worthy", but the Academy still, by their own rules, had to pick from what was released that year (which is probably why Titanic got one in the first place. . .a buddy took me to see it and wouldn't let me walk out halfway through like I wanted, lol).

I really don't want to seem like I'm angry about this, because I'm not. I'm deeply honored when I do get one of my images chosen for the list, but I don't ever expect it. There are so many other artists on this site who are much more talented than I am, so I never really make images with the intent of trying for the list. It just confused me a little as to why that was being done. Thank you for clarifying.

Posted on: 16 10 10 11:32 pm

Quote:

JrMcDeath wrote:
We do not want to pick images just to fill the "top images". Every week, we would like to have 9 images that "WOW" our members. And we have decided that when we have a week that produces only 3 or 4 images that all the Mods go "WOW" about then we are going to fill the remainder of the "top images of the week" with old "Top Images".

Thanks for explain that, it makes sense.

Posted on: 17 10 10 10:48 am

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81700
Quote:

thestarkiller wrote:
I understand the reason behind it, and I'll go with it if that's what you want to do. It's all about what's visually stimulating, which is what really sets it apart from movies, as in my comparison below. With film you have story, characterization, sound, direction, AND visual stimulation to account for, whereas here it really needs to be about what's pleasing to the eye and nothing else.

That being said, lol, I'd like to go back to my Academy Awards comparison and say that I can remember years where there wasn't a single movie that came out that I personally considered "Oscar worthy", but the Academy still, by their own rules, had to pick from what was released that year (which is probably why Titanic got one in the first place. . .a buddy took me to see it and wouldn't let me walk out halfway through like I wanted, lol).

I really don't want to seem like I'm angry about this, because I'm not. I'm deeply honored when I do get one of my images chosen for the list, but I don't ever expect it. There are so many other artists on this site who are much more talented than I am, so I never really make images with the intent of trying for the list. It just confused me a little as to why that was being done. Thank you for clarifying.

That is the longest way of saying "thanks for clarifying" Also, why did your buddy take you to Titanic? Hummmmmmmmm??????

Posted on: 17 10 10 12:07 pm

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.