Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
49 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 49

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: CBS Casts Supergirl
The Metal Shinigami (Moderator)
From Kentucky
Level : 52; EXP : 13
HP : 255 / 1278
MP : 1716 / 72122
I have no problem with the casting. Just going to treat it as an alternate reality and just sit back and enjoy. I can see it working, and this looks like it is worth watching.

Posted on: 14 05 15 02:26 pm

Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 84815
Quote:

Dragondack wrote:
Opps whole new can of worms,
I knew I shouldn't have mentioned this touchy subject but since I did I might as well explain myself.
I used to be a very big comic book guy for a very long time.
I am not a prejudice guy and
I have many Black friends but
why do all these guys in TV casting think they are being Politically correct by
casting Black people in role that were originally drawn and written in as white people,
that would tantamount to be like casting Roots as a White slavery movie.
SAY MAYBE WE COULD DO AN ELSEWHERE MOVIE WHERE....naaaa bad idea!!!

I actually do not have a problem with the different races playing characters such as Jimmy Olsen because his race doesn't really matter.

I have a problem with the new fantastic four movies casting because if the human torch is black, Invisible girl should be black as well because they are siblings but she isn't. Them being brother and sister are a large part of the groups and characters dynamic and from the casting you can see that this has been changed and that is what I have a problem with.

I find in a large amount of media from film, TV, comics etc. Minorities are grossly under representated particularly the older the media is, the less characters of minority appear. So I don't mind at all them changing of supporting characters race when it doesn't matter. I rather they hire a good actor for the part then be stuck on race.

Posted on: 14 05 15 04:10 pm

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.
Create PDF from Post Print

The Metal Shinigami (Moderator)
From Kentucky
Level : 52; EXP : 13
HP : 255 / 1278
MP : 1716 / 72122
Agreed 100% Hawk, I have a theory that:
1. Johnny and/ or Sue could be adopted which would justify to Racial Difference,

2. They are in fact blood siblings but two different fathers, or

3. They are married; in which case all bets are off and it would complete trash.

Posted on: 14 05 15 06:59 pm

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71132
Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:
Quote:

Dragondack wrote:
Opps whole new can of worms,
I knew I shouldn't have mentioned this touchy subject but since I did I might as well explain myself.
I used to be a very big comic book guy for a very long time.
I am not a prejudice guy and
I have many Black friends but
why do all these guys in TV casting think they are being Politically correct by
casting Black people in role that were originally drawn and written in as white people,
that would tantamount to be like casting Roots as a White slavery movie.
SAY MAYBE WE COULD DO AN ELSEWHERE MOVIE WHERE....naaaa bad idea!!!

I actually do not have a problem with the different races playing characters such as Jimmy Olsen because his race doesn't really matter.

I have a problem with the new fantastic four movies casting because if the human torch is black, Invisible girl should be black as well because they are siblings but she isn't. Them being brother and sister are a large part of the groups and characters dynamic and from the casting you can see that this has been changed and that is what I have a problem with.

I find in a large amount of media from film, TV, comics etc. Minorities are grossly under represented particularly the older the media is, the less characters of minority appear. So I don't mind at all them changing of supporting characters race when it doesn't matter. I rather they hire a good actor for the part then be stuck on race.

sigh... okay, yeah... I guess I got to be the politically incorrect one here. I do agree with Hawk that for far too many years, comic book heroes have been overly represented by white guys and there should be more representation of cultural diversity BUT that does not mean that I agree with re-writing white guys into black guys or women or turning straight guys gay. Just write new characters who are culturally diverse! Let's not be so quick to shrug this off as nothing. Star, you say it's just a simple way to add diversity but let's switch that script: Suppose they made Luke Cage and Black Panther white guys? Me? I'd lose my marbles over that nonsense! I think there's something integral about the way their ethnicity informs their character development. It can be the same for some of the white guys too. Perhaps it's less offensive when done to minor characters but who determines whose minor? Jimmy Olson successfully carried his own title for years and King Kirby himself wrote and drew it for a while! Once upon a time, these superheroes represented the power of the individual to rise up against overwhelming odds but now, they've been co-opted by the corporations... it's no longer the power of the individual, it's really just any latest interchangeable cog in the machine. Why? Let's peel off this saccharine coating of all this PC nonsense to see what's really going on! The REAL reason these companies have made the characters so interchangeable is for legal reasons: so they don't have to give credit and royalties to those original creators by making their original contribution seem less substantial! ...and that is also why so much recycling goes on: who in their right mind, would create something new and good for these companies to steal and plunder and take credit for? I for one, am resentful of the haphazard treatment of so many great characters although like most of us, my outrage over the matter has dulled from seeing it happen countless times.

Posted on: 15 05 15 07:57 pm

Shaper of Worlds
From Matteson, Il
Level : 47; EXP : 34
HP : 231 / 1158
MP : 1303 / 67640
pijon wrote:
Quote:

Let's not be so quick to shrug this off as nothing. Star, you say it's just a simple way to add diversity but let's switch that script: Suppose they made Luke Cage and Black Panther white guys? Me? I'd lose my marbles over that nonsense!

Well trust me. I'd have a fit over something like that myself as would almost everyone. Frankly I don't like the concept of a black Johnny Storm but only because he's a major role player, a star mind you. Changing the race of minor characters urks me but only because I'd rather that the movie makers keep the integrity of the comic characters true to form. But remember we're talking about Jimmy Olsen here, okay. Frankly I wasn't even aware that he and Supergirl even had a relationship on any level. In the end I think the setting and concept of this whole series is going to be so wrong it won't matter to me what color any of them are.

Posted on: 16 05 15 07:26 pm

deluded narcissist guru (Whateverator)
Level : 41; EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 1013
MP : 907 / 58406
I think as more great characters of diverse backgrounds get their due (Black Panther, Luke Cage, Ms Marvel, and so on) Hollywood's trend of squirely inside out racism will give way to their unmitigated greed, and they may take some more risks on other great characters. Wouldn't that be more interesting?

Posted on: 17 05 15 06:02 am

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81700
I finally got around to watching the trailer/teaser. I would really like this to work out. But it will be cancelled at the end, if it makes it that far, of the first season. And not because Jimmy... errr... James Olsen is black or because the lead is a woman. The tailer makes it look like they are going to make it way to campy for comic book fans, and non fans don't give a flip about Supergirl. SOOOO... enjoy it if it ever comes out.
I REALLY hope I am wrong because I would like to see this. But if shows like Battle Creek, which was hilarious, gets the ax, then so will this. <--insert sad face here. HA!

Posted on: 20 05 15 12:39 pm

Criminal Mastermind
From St. Petersburg, FL
Level : 35; EXP : 5
HP : 0 / 851
MP : 581 / 47830
I saw someone mention this on some other site reviewing the trailer for this show and they had stated that rather than making this truly uniquely how Supergirl is portrayed as a character, the young teenage female cousin of Superman and how she is adjusting to life on Earth with all of her powers and key words being a teenager ... they have opted to basically make this show just another Superman show with a woman instead. She wears glasses to hide her identity, she works for a newspaper/magazine/news organization, she saves an airplane that was carrying someone close to her that she cares about which reveals her to the world. A lot of elements in this that belong more to her cousin rather than herself and I think that many are feeling that it's a direction that was poorly chosen to take. I'm feeling the same myself, but I probably will watch it to judge for sure upon seeing it in full. Guess they didn't want to rehash something like "Smallville" again though so soon.

Posted on: 23 05 15 07:10 am

Herald
From halfway between limbo and purgatory
Level : 29; EXP : 95
HP : 0 / 723
MP : 392 / 43550
I managed to see the pilot episode of this show just yesterday, and pretty much everything Darth Paul said here is spot on.

Overall, I wasn't impressed, it's no "Smallville" and it seems like there's an attempt to match "The Flash" and "Arrow" (at least with the production value), but the story needs work.

How'd I see the pilot?

Posted on: 23 05 15 11:14 am

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.