Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Batman sues Batman
Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81938
I thought I had pretty much seen it all.....

Quote:
Batman has a new adversary: Batman.

The mayor of an oil-producing city in southeastern Turkey, which has the same name as the Caped Crusader, is suing helmer Christopher Nolan and Warner Bros. for royalties from mega-grosser "The Dark Knight."

Huseyin Kalkan, the pro-Kurdish Democratic Society Party mayor of Batman, has accused "The Dark Knight" producers of using the city's name without permission.

"There is only one Batman in the world," Kalkan said. "The American producers used the name of our city without informing us."

No one from the town of Batman has explained why it took so many years to take legal action. Batman first appeared as a comicbook character in 1939 and the "Batman" TV series started in 1966. Tim Burton's first bigscreen rendition for Warner Bros. came out in 1989. Undoubtedly the fact that "Dark Knight" is about to pass the $1 billion mark at the B.O. played a part in stirring the ire of the Turkish hamlet.

The mayor is prepping a series of charges against Nolan and Warner Bros., which owns the right to the Batman character, including placing the blame for a number of unsolved murders and a high female suicide rate on the psychological impact that the film's success has had on the city's inhabitants.

Former natives of Batman are also said to have encountered obstacles when attempting to register their businesses abroad.

The mayor is working on gathering evidence he claims will show that the city of Batman predates the 1939 debut of Bob Kane's superhero in DC Comics.

"We are only aware of this claim via press reports and have not seen any actual legal action," a Warner Bros. rep said in a statement.

While the town of Batman has suddenly shown great interest in the property, there's no evidence that the citizenry has ever shown much loyalty to the Caped Crusader -- not even on Halloween.

Here is the link to the article.
http://www.variety.com/VR1117995653.html

Posted on: 14 11 08 09:04 am

Re: Batman sues Batman
Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 85052
These guys are idiots

Posted on: 14 11 08 09:43 am

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.
Create PDF from Post Print

Supreme being
From lost somewhere in Northwest Ohio
Level : 26; EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 625
MP : 280 / 36714
Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:
These guys are idiots

Yeah...I saw this the other day on MS-NBC,,,and thought "W T F ?" them I got to thinkin': either it's money or publicity they're after. Either way, I have to agree with 'Hawk: What a bunch of uber-dorks!

Posted on: 14 11 08 11:45 am

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34855
My personal belief is that one crazy person has this opinion and then the press latch onto it and blow it out of all proportion just so they can report an interesting story.

Posted on: 14 11 08 01:32 pm

Time Lord!
From Knobblers Gob
Level : 36; EXP : 96
HP : 0 / 899
MP : 667 / 51623
Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:
These guys are idiots

Unfortunately, any idiot can file a lawsuit.

Posted on: 14 11 08 01:44 pm

Herald
From halfway between limbo and purgatory
Level : 29; EXP : 95
HP : 0 / 723
MP : 392 / 43666
OMFG! Are you effin' serious?!?! What a friggin' moron...
Batman= a town in Bum Fudged Turkey vs. Batman= every criminals insomnia inducing crime fighter??

The names probably weren't even pronounced the same originally...they only changed pronounciation cuz they saw an opportunity...

Finacial Advisor: "Sir, you've run the towns fund into the ground with your visits to the brothels...

mayor: "Oh,damn.. I got an idea! Let's sue those American bastards at Warner Brothers for using our town's name!"

Posted on: 15 11 08 04:34 pm

From United States
Level : 56; EXP : 3
HP : 275 / 1375
MP : 2121 / 71352
It truly is the height of lunacy! As far as I know, no one's ever copyrighted the name of their town nor has it ever been considered a copyrightable material. I guess Dallas from Rock of Love and Charm School and Houston Alexander from the UFC are now in danger of being sued by Texas. Then again, I guess Washington D.C. could kill off the whole Justice League. Then what about towns with the same name... like Hollywood in Fl. and Cal. or Albany in Georgia and New York. Then again, NY also has towns named Berlin and Rome, among others. Okay, this case should last about 2 blinks in a court room.

Posted on: 16 11 08 07:31 am

Criminal Mastermind
From St. Petersburg, FL
Level : 35; EXP : 5
HP : 0 / 851
MP : 581 / 47967
Well, you can't copyright names or titles, only concepts. So, unless Batman the town is covered in bat-paraphnalia and strikes fear into the superstious and cowardly lot of criminals their lawsuit holds no water.

Posted on: 17 11 08 08:18 pm

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.