Main Menu
Search

Advanced Search
or try google search
HM's Goodies and such
Become a Gold member!

Click Here for more Details about gold Memberships or click the Icon above to donate. Remember to include your Username with donations.
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
advertisements
Your
AD
Here!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Updating without a valid reason?
Punk Ass
Level : 3; EXP : 62
HP : 0 / 65
MP : 8 / 3025
Okay! I'll admit this days I'm not often at this great site as I used to be... BUT what's the deal with people updating images just to keep them on the front page?

I remember that back in the days, there was an unwritten rule that if you updated an image, YOU also wrote what was the update and it should be a significant change to the image.

Now, every day I visit the galleries I have to scroll down and sometimes go back 2 or 3 pages to see what's new because some people keep updating with no other reason ( to my eye, anyway) than to keep them in the front page.

This last week, I counted at least half the front page with the same images being updated with no actual change that could be seen.

Some days I arrive, look and see the same old images and don't even bother to log in.

Sorry, I just needed to vent.

Posted on: 11 08 10 12:46 pm
Create PDF from Post Print

Re: Updating without a valid reason?
Bat Junkie...and who took my meds???
From Mexico City (we don't wear hats)
Level : 40; EXP : 93
HP : 0 / 998
MP : 873 / 60303
Quote:

SamOne wrote:

I remember that back in the days, there was an unwritten rule that if you updated an image, YOU also wrote what was the update and it should be a significant change to the image.

I didn't knew of that unwritten rule, but I agree with you.

BTW: just to let you know, I'm going to update the comments in all my pics

Posted on: 11 08 10 01:54 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Level : 57; EXP : 79
HP : 283 / 1419
MP : 2327 / 81950
Quote:

Dark_Knight_DK wrote:

Don't you dare!

It has become a problem on the site. These "updates" that I can't tell what has been changed.

SOOO with that said, this can be a written rule. If you update your image and DO NOT add a comment as to what you changed, I am simply going to delete the image. And an update does not consist of changing the color of someone's eyes. It has to be a substantial update to warrant an "update"

If you do not comply and re-post an image that has been deleted, you will make the mods very angry... and you won't like us when we are angry.

Posted on: 11 08 10 02:15 pm

Arch Nemesis
Level : 32; EXP : 56
HP : 0 / 789
MP : 482 / 47264
I only update if I accidentally incorporated a transgender cross-dressing model for the manip. However, I would never tell HM Members that that was the reason for the up date. I wouldn't want you'all to think you had been jacking off to a transgender cross-dressing WonderWoman...

Posted on: 11 08 10 02:38 pm

Wizard of Lasagna (Mod)
From From the Other Side of the Ocean
Level : 45; EXP : 33
HP : 221 / 1108
MP : 1153 / 54785
Quote:

Dark_Knight_DK wrote:
Quote:

SamOne wrote:

I didn't knew of that unwritten rule, buy I agree with you.

Actually in the Posting Policy we already have something similar about that:

Quote:

Reposting Art Work:
Please refrain from posting the same image or slight reworks of your images. If you have only a slight modification, ask a Moderator to swap it out for your original. You can even edit your original post description text to bump your picture back to the top and make note that you modded it. If you have gone back and improved your image and want to re-post it. Make sure of 3 things:
1-you have significantly improved or changed the image.
2-you did not just post the original image and it is still on the front page. The longer the lapse between original and re-work the better.
3-it is something people want to see again.

Sorry Jr, I had to go read it again.

The fact is that I, personally think that this rule is kinda out dated as by my understanding was written when the site run with a previous version (maybe Hawk can explain better...), however I do think that could apply to the "updates without any reason /just to bump the image to the front page" issue.

The real thing here is in my opinion, we are supossed to have fun and share our art, but we also should respect our fellow members. Part of that respect is by following the posting policy, but also not be selfish and keep bumping images just because.

Maybe we should, like Jr said, write a rule about that(or at least, re-write that piece I quoted), but I personally don't want to see this place full of rules just because some members can't think about the rest of the community and think their art is so good it should have tons of hits.

Mind you, I'm not saying they don't make good art. What I'm saying is that we already have the 3 images per 24 hours rule to give a chance to all members (great, good or bad) to have their images displayed in the front page for some time and to display fresh new images there as well.
That was a rule that from what I heard from older members was requested.

Of course, if some members starts abusing the ability to update his/hers images just to bump them to the top of the gallery, that might upset some members and maybe the mods have to make something about it.

That's my 2 cents on this subjet, anyway...

Posted on: 11 08 10 04:38 pm

Wizard of Lasagna (Mod)
Quote:

MissVee wrote:
I only update if I accidentally incorporated a transgender cross-dressing model for the manip. However, I would never tell HM Members that that was the reason for the up date. I wouldn't want you'all to think you had been jacking off to a transgender cross-dressing WonderWoman...

MissVee, I think in that case, we can accept it.

Posted on: 11 08 10 04:44 pm

You know what? I am so very guilty of doing that but i promise as of now to NEVER do anything like that anymore. I was unaware that it was a practice which was frowned upon and unless I make a major change to an image I'll just leave it be. However, sometimes people ask me questions or I find I have left something out of the description, in which case I will update or change that with a comment instead.

Posted on: 12 08 10 02:57 pm

superhero
Level : 20; EXP : 58
HP : 0 / 489
MP : 165 / 22612
I have updated on account of misspelled words or improper grammar. I am a horrible typist and sometimes I feel the need to correct it. I will leave it in the future.

Posted on: 12 08 10 03:11 pm

Guardian of the Great White North (Webmaster)
From Canada
Level : 57; EXP : 32
HP : 281 / 1408
MP : 2270 / 85063
Quote:

cattle wrote:
I have updated on account of misspelled words or improper grammar. I am a horrible typist and sometimes I feel the need to correct it. I will leave it in the future.

I don't see this as a problem if you notice the mispellings the same day as you posted it. I myself have some of the worst typos in the history of the internet and do the same thing. if it is the same day as originally posting please feel free to update due to comments and such. if not send OCp a PM and he can update it for you with out bumping the image. (like how I made this more work for OCP favorite part of my day)

Posted on: 12 08 10 03:20 pm

Driver picks the music, shoutgun shuts their cakehole.

Wizard of Lasagna (Mod)
Quote:

Winterhawk wrote:
if it is the same day as originally posting please feel free to update due to comments and such. if not send OCp a PM and he can update it for you with out bumping the image. (like how I made this more work for OCP favorite part of my day)

HAWK!!!!!

But seriously, we are here to help. feel free to PM us if you need.

Posted on: 12 08 10 03:54 pm

Gold Member
From Indiana, yeah, Indiana, stop laughing
Level : 32; EXP : 80
HP : 0 / 795
MP : 491 / 35906

sorry, that darn Vee just cracked me up yet again.

THANK YOU, MissVee, for NOT disclosing such updates.
Although now I see that there is far more to the "MissVee Diet and Exercise Program" than I was originally lead to believe, huh?

As for Hawk's typo's, yep...I believe that in full.
But I must suffer the same disorder, 'cuz I generally understand everything he writes.

But seriously, I'm glad this has now been made a less informal rule. While I enjoy seeing how an artist re-envisions a project and updates it with progress in skill, composition and capabilities (this lets us see just how far one has come since the start)...
I feel that the best place for that is in the Hellfire Club. Specifically under the "Works in Progress" heading.

I enjoy the main gallery to see the great variety of artists displaying their unique individual talents. But when there are 7 works by the same artist on the front page, it takes way too long to sift through to see everyone's projects.
This is one of the reasons I really like the "3 post per day" limit, too.

Unfortunately, there's only sympathy that I can give to OCP for the increased work load. But at least he's a good sport.

missvee....

Posted on: 12 08 10 06:23 pm

Criminal Mastermind
From St. Petersburg, FL
Level : 35; EXP : 5
HP : 0 / 851
MP : 581 / 47974
Well, whenever I post a new page of my comic, I have to go into the most current page and copy and past the link to add to all the other page links and it causes an update status. However, whenever I post a new page it usually is the first one on the list so it's not like I'm really bumping it or anything.

Posted on: 13 08 10 06:59 pm

The Metal Shinigami (Moderator)
From Kentucky
Level : 52; EXP : 13
HP : 255 / 1278
MP : 1716 / 72336
Looks like this is becoming an Issue again. So this thread has been bumped with an addition. If an image is updated with no notes as to why, it will be removed from the top of the list.

Posted on: 27 12 11 06:21 am

vigilante
Level : 2; EXP : 38
HP : 0 / 34
MP : 4 / 1248
Sorry, at the magnification that it was at I noticed some flaws I wanted to correct. Next time, I'll know better.

Posted on: 27 12 11 08:17 am

Dreamcatcher
From The Dream Dimension
Level : 32; EXP : 60
HP : 0 / 790
MP : 483 / 36351
I like this "update Rule". When an artist updates a pic and explains why the picture was updated it can be used as a teaching tool and/or a source of inspiration.

Posted on: 27 12 11 06:05 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
It also needs to be a substantial update. We (Well, I) will not accept and update that says "Didn't like the color of her/his eyes". You should have caught that in the original.

Posted on: 28 12 11 09:46 am

Gold Member
From If you don't know by now don't ask!
Level : 29; EXP : 22
HP : 0 / 705
MP : 369 / 40598
LOL I can still tell that you are the one to be feared JR! LMAO the front page is 2/3 of one guy reposting his images with little to no changes. I could provide you with a name but what would be the fun in that?

Posted on: 11 01 12 03:04 am
I have a rendezvous with Death, at some disputed barricade, if maybe he should take my hand and lead me into his dark land and close my eyes and quench my breath. I have a rendezvous with death, and my pledged word am true, I have not failed that rende...

Your Reality Credit Card
Level : 26; EXP : 68
HP : 0 / 642
MP : 297 / 34860
Hi guys.
I just made my yearly check-in and honestly I was a bit shocked. Forget about updating without a good reason, some people are posting without a good reason!

One of the pictures on the top 9 of the week is a woman's face pasted onto a well-known Adam Hughes statue. And the guy didn't even make the siple background, he literally took the first image that comes up on Google for "x-men symbol".
It's not my decision to say if something with minimal effort can be posted, though they should probably credit others in this case. But I do remember people here who would spend hours on an image and get bummed when they missed out on the front page (although that does seem a little crazy).

Maybve we're just living in the future now and nobody cares... since the robot-monkeys took over...

Posted on: 18 01 12 03:45 am

Gold Member
From Villainous hideout
Level : 22; EXP : 45
HP : 0 / 536
MP : 200 / 23660

Just because I always wanted to try that cow emoticon out

Posted on: 19 01 12 09:22 pm

Kling on HM (WebMaster!)
From My Box
Quote:

finister wrote:

Just because I always wanted to try that cow emoticon out

*clears throat* I think that is updating without a valid reason.

Posted on: 19 01 12 09:33 pm

Account*
Name   Password   Login

You cannot start a new topic.
You can view topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.